what do you guys use for multitrack drums?

szaszhareen

what do you guys use for multitrack drums?

Post by szaszhareen »

i was using utrk with it's multi-out feature for this, until i figured out that it was making my songs crash. i set up something similar with sgrid and sgrid-out which works pretty well, but sgrid doesn't handle certain samples (24 bit are unsupported i think), so a good chunk of my drum samples are unusable with this setup unless i go through and convert them all.

what other options are there, either buzz gens or free vst, where i can setup drum patterns with one machine, and send each track out through separate channels?

thepr0f

Re: what do you guys use for multitrack drums?

Post by thepr0f »

I go with Matilde Tracker 3 (1.10 rc1):
http://buzzmachines.com/machineinfo.php?id=1057

For my songs, I use a track or two for each drum, which I multi-out through MT Nada's then group together again into MixIO for levels, panning, etc. (since I don't think buzz allows multiple outs/ins between only two machines, though I'd love to be corrected).

For bonus points, feed each drum out through a sgorpi multitrack writer so you can record individual drums tracks for use in external DAWs.

Alternatively you can try Drummix Beta (free) vst, or upgrade to one of the pro versions. It could be less fiddly then using a sample tracker, albeit with a bit less control:

http://www.bluenoiseplugins.com/plugins ... a-edition/
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

excellent write up, i'll try all of those things! :)

i didn't know mtrk had multi-outs. also i though mtrk didn't support 24 bit samples - is that not the case with mtrk 3?

the 24 bit sample support isn't a huge deal for me, it's just that newer sample packs and random samples i find seem to be 24 bit more often than 16 bit and i only have so much time in my day to dick around converting them, and that time is never when i'm in the middle of trying to write something. utrk was nice because it would play whatever i could throw at it. bad because it crashed.... the good with the bad i guess. :)
thepr0f

Post by thepr0f »

Glad I could help!

I just tried 24 bit wavs in mtrk3 and it worked fine. Pretty sure that between that and the new wavetable we've now got an audio format shangri-la.
vacuum

Post by vacuum »

I tried wavosaur (free) some time ago for batch processing.
It has a small set of batch processing stuff, like converting
a directorie with 24 bit samples to 32 bit, etc, and you can include
subdirectories. It worked for some stuff for me.

Also, the old UTrk (not 2), combined with the old polac out (also not 2, (or II)),
works for me too, but I didn't try with 24 bit samples.

Here the UTrk2 gives me problems when using command 78,
because when buzz reads this command, then every window loses
focus. (maybe this results in a crash on other machines like yours.)
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

wavosaur rules for batch processing. so simple! thanks for telling me about it :)

can't believe it took me almost a year to get around to trying it. XD