I just discovered a way to SCRATCH using UnwieldyTracker2!

Mozart von Robot

I just discovered a way to SCRATCH using UnwieldyTracker2!

Post by Mozart von Robot »

I came up with the hypothesis some time ago, but today I decided to test it. I've yet to perfect it, but I know now that it can be done, and I've managed to use it in a way that sounds good, both fairly realistic and rhythmic. You can scratch with Fuzzpilz UnwieldyTracker2!
It's a bit challenging, but here's how it works:

Step 1: Obviously load the machine, connect it to the master, load a sample (for example a bit of speech) into your wavetable. If you want to scratch multiple samples, load all the samples you want to scratch. You know this already.
Step 2: Set the pattern sequencer to a high resolution. I went with 16 rows per beat as I'm working in a swing rhythm and I just couldn't get it tight enough at 8 rows per beat. I'm keeping the scratching fairly simplistic, but if I wanted to do more erratic scratching, I would set it to 32 rows per beat. This process is surgical.
Step 3: Set out C-4's (or other notes as you see fit) and Offset numbers (and/or sample numbers if you're using multiple samples) to mark out your trigger points, where you know you want your samples playing (as if you've taken your hand off the turntable).
Step 4: Here comes the surgical part. The scratching, which you'll usually want to place BEFORE the triggers you've already placed. You're only going to need two Effect Commands. Which is good, since there are only two slots for them. The commands are 0F (To note) and 05 (Rev Direct). Where you want the simulation of a short hand movement forward, you're going to need two notes. One note that's a bit higher than your upcoming trigger note (the higher the note, the faster the "hand movement" - don't overdo it), followed by the note C-0 with the effect command 0F and for example the number 0030 (experiment and vary) to simulate stopping the hand. After this, you might want a backward movement, which is simply a somewhat high note (for example a whole octave above your usual trigger note; again, experiment and vary) along with an 0F command with for example the number 0020 (again, experiment and vary - this is just a number I found to sound pretty decent for the thing I was doing) AND the command 05 (on the second Effect Command column, as it has to be simultaneous). Then of course before the trigger, you want to simulate stopping the "record" again, which I've already told you how to do. Make sure you're always messing with the right sample, so you're not scratching one thing and then triggering another, or switching samples mid-scratch. Also make sure you're close to the right Offset, so you're not scratching the beginning of the sample and then the middle plays (just set the offset on the initial scratch and the final trigger - no offsets on the steps between).
Step 5: Does anything sound like it's happening too soon, but if you push it to later, it just sounds like it's too late? Use the note delay. Usually 01 or 02 will fix the problem. If you still can't get it right with the note delay, it's time to crank up the resolution. Ctrl+backspace and set Rows per beat to double whatever it was.
Step 6: Fine-tune. You could for example skip the offset on the trigger and set an 0F command with a low number to get that quick back-up-to-speed sound of letting go of the record, though this might take a bit of extra fiddling (mainly with the thing just before - probably messing with the to note speeds and the notes would do the trick) to get the timing just right. You can also use more notes and 0F commands at a high resolution to make your simulated hand movements sound less even. You can also play around with the velocity parameter, switching quickly between 0 and 40 to get a nice cutting effect, like a crossfader with a super-sharp curve. Works best at a high resolution and if you've managed to do all of this without using note delays (as note delays will also delay velocity commands). Otherwise, I'd probably recommend doing this with the input volume of an effect machine, or by messing around with some kind of gate effect.

There you have it. A bit confusing, maybe, but it works. Scratching with Fuzzpilz UnwieldyTracker2. The most precise method for programmed scratching in Buzz I've discovered so far. I never could get the hang of WhiteNoise's Scratcher.
szaszhareen

Re: I just discovered a way to SCRATCH using UnwieldyTracker

Post by szaszhareen »

this is insane, great job :)
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Hey Mozart,
an example would be nice.
sleepzzz

Post by sleepzzz »

All those words make my brain hurt, but I'm pretty dumb with Buzz. Any example BMW or soundcloud link? I've always wanted to bring some "scratching" back into my beats but have been to lazy to re-learn the other scratcher.

WhiteNoise's Scratcher was very difficult to understand as well, but with some practice it can get some fake scratching results. It does give great possibility for weird noises and lo-fi sounds.
Here's one I made back in 2003 using it. Skip to 2 minutes for the most scratching-like sounds, but I used it the entire track. Besides the fuzzy synth was using a voice sample with it. All of the crashing and white noise were from using the Scratcher.

https://soundcloud.com/vyana/tracker-sc ... -from-2003
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Good track! No, not good, excellent!
Willy

Post by Willy »

tl;dr

I stick to WhiteNoise's Scratcher, thank you.
Mozart von Robot

Klangkulisse wrote:Hey Mozart,
an example would be nice.
Alrightie, have a listen to this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn3utxhrq61an ... e.wav?dl=0
Mozart von Robot

Here's another test, this one with some velocity transforming to make it more interesting: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ct1jj7wbz0vmm ... 2.wav?dl=0
And here's how I did it:

ETA: If anyone can get this kind of control with Scratcher, please teach me, because that machine is chaos to me.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Mozart von Robot wrote:And here's how I did it:
Ah, I see, a tricky combination of pitch and loop direction, cool. And yes. the velocity feature makes it more convincing. Good piece of work, thanks for showing.
mute

Post by mute »

warms my heart to see ppl actually taking time to learn tracker tricks :)

as for scratcher.. it does seem confusing at first...

Think of the "platter" being still. It does not move or play anything without you moving the "record".

As for parameters:
Think of the "target" parameter as your finger controlling the platter. The primary thing you sequence.
Inertia is "Target"'s intertia. Seperated in backwards and forwards. You might sequence this or just leave to settings on gui.
The higher the inertia, the smoother the cut. The lower, the sharper the cut. You might sequence this or just leave to settings on gui.
Speed is the pitch/speed control for forwards/backwards movements. You might sequence this or just leave to settings on gui.
Think of "move amount" is how much movement is allowed from the offset to the end of the wav. aka "How long is this thing"? It's easier to notice what it does if you test it against a long wav file. Best to leave it at max until you learn sort out the other controls.

It doesn't really work well if you just try to do it from the gui.