Windows 10

mridlen

Windows 10

Post by mridlen »

Running my laptop on Windows 10 now. Seems to work properly so far.
oskari
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10

Post by oskari »

I recommend you wait a bit. There may be some issues.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Are there known issues, or just saying that it hasn't really been tested?
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

Privacy and security issues. You can bing more.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

oskari wrote:Privacy and security issues. You can bing more.
use a local account instead of microsoft account, problem solved 99%.
domtron

Post by domtron »

Here are some adjustments for Windows 10 and for the installation,good for a quick look.
Myself is not disabling the error,hardware and malware related reporting stuff send to Microsoft though.

https://fix10.isleaked.com/
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

No way would i be updating to win 10 for buzz no matter what microsoft promises. Not much by the look of it. Is there any performance gain in audio apps marginal i would guess.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

stop resisting, put down the tinfoil hats ;)
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I ended up reverting due to lack of decent driver support from my laptop vendor, and numerous blue screen issue.
wde

Post by wde »

Updated to Windows 10 and it works great with Buzz. I especially like the virtual desktop feature where can set Buzz full screen on another desktop. Win 10 seems to recover better from sleep even though I have M-Audio Firewire gear with ancient drivers.

I did experience some audio clicks and pops but that was fixed by tuning the power management profile and using Polac ASIO.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Updated on my laptop, always also ugly, impossible to have something coherent with color, 20 years after everyboby, microsoft give us virtual desktops, waouh fantastic! hello cortana, kiss my ass!
2 positive points, no problem for the update (except a register key to add) :lol: , and the windows are assorted with Snowglobe Scale Walker.
Linux mint is very nice...
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

tinga wrote: hello cortana, kiss my ass!
XD

what did she say when you told her to kiss your ass? did you say it en francais?
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Mmm... I can't actually get Buzz to run at all on Windows 10 - the process seems to load for about 5-10 seconds and then - nothing :(

Looking at Process Monitor some suspicious things seem to be with the file scan.exe (which IIRC is the polac loader ?): I get a 'FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS' (whatever that means!) a few times, and a 'Buffer Overflow' before everything seems to shut down again.

EDIT: Just tried reinstalling pvst_v1.1.10b30 in case something got corrupted in the move but alas I get the same result .... Am I right in thinking there's a key combination to get it to skip the VST loader ?
EDIT2: Yep that's done it - stopping Polac from loading makes Buzz work again (though alas obviously without VSTs !)
EDIT3: Wait, how is Polac seeing my VSTs - I've temporarily moved vst.exe and scan.exe from the Buzz folder ?!
EDIT4: OK renaming the two files back and now Buzz loads fine though all my VSTi and VSTs are all in an 'Unkown' folder in the machine menu. Ahh Buzz how I've missed your weirdness :D
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Not even telling anyone what the updates are. I thought the google crapware was bad looks like win 10 is even worse.
lantern

Post by lantern »

Any idea what's causing this with Windows 10 when playing a song:

- volume slider stays black (indicating no output yet song plays out fine)
- no activity in elapsed/current/loop -indicators
- changing BPM or TPB doesn't update the input value (although the song speed itself changes)

This isn't of course a real blocker but is slightly annoying anyway as everything worked fine with Windows 8.1.

..? :?

edit:

Did a reinstall and everything's fine now Image
Last edited by lantern on Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
domtron

Post by domtron »

I have to install Buzz (x64) with a right click choosing the administrator rights otherwise the installation didn't work.

My VST folder is now in Username-Documents,btw,this is a suggestion from u-he, related to possible problems with extra data folders of some VST's.

I also experienced some weird CPU consumption with a clean Win 10 installation,the system can be quite active in the background,i will report this to Microsoft through my technical preview "report menu".

Otherwise,generally Win 10 runs smooth and great,possible it was just a hiccup due to the fresh installation,i guess this will be fixed over time.

If anybody is using a older computer with no ongoing driver support i would take the risk to see what Win 10 is providing,i even didn't install my Chipset drivers and it's working great so far.

It's always better to test Win 10 with a clean install before finally switching.
nikmis

Post by nikmis »

my desktop just upgraded to windows 10 last week. It was that latest push for windows 10 upgrades where it just starts without permission. It has a little dialogue informing you that it will upgrade at a certain time and I just instinctually clicked exit without reading, as I have been doing with every windows 10 notification in the last year. but it suddenly restarted and updated. I was against it mainly because I was running a less than official copy of windows 7 and I was worried that it wouldn't work but all seems ok

and buzz works great on windows 10 so far

honestly I would be one of the cool kids and use some kind of linux if I wasn't so married to jeskola buzz.
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

Good to hear Windows 10 is working for buzzers. I have a question. Several years back I tried updating my win 7 to 8 and it wouldn't let me because the motherboard wasn't compatible with 8. Now I'm with the same motherboard, what are the chances that 10 will work but not 8?
P.S. Whatever happened to 9?
tinga

Post by tinga »

Tiadiad wrote:Whatever happened to 9?
9 would have caused trouble, remember win 95 and 98, imagine a message like "please update to win 98" , :lol:
Buzz works great with win10, just one thing I have to run buzz as administrator for saving preset, I can't deactivate the write protection of Buzz folder.
zephiris

Post by zephiris »

i bought a new laptop with win10 on it, and was "YAY! buzz on 4k screen! finally! all the pixels!"

then i installed buzz and started playing around...
then i had clicks and pops and crackles and chchchkkkrrr, brrrrzzzz, ffeeddbackstyleeeee noisesssss...

then i noticed, this was not just buzz, but EVERYTHING! from a freshly bought laptop... this was disappointing... i was on the verge of returning it, then i spent 2 days on forums and stuff to find if anyone had the same issues...

one post somewhere said "network card" blahblah "disable" blablah "halleluyah!"...

so i disabled the onboard network card and magic came back... no more clicks and pops and crackles and chchchkkkrrr, brrrrzzzz, ffeeddbackstyleeeee noisesssss...

i just hope no update "fixes" this for me "automagically" because that would be bad, hmmmkay... but yeah... win10 probably not being the actual culprit, but the realtek onboard gbit network card, which i will not be using with this laptop anyway... i still wonder why the network card would interfere with realtime stuff tho... bad drivers? *muaahahaha*