[SOLVED] Suddenly some machines consume more CPU

AndersBrontosaurus

[SOLVED] Suddenly some machines consume more CPU

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

have a problem with some machines that sometimes consumes a lot more CPU that they normally do. Right now its UDelay2 and Qsamo that sometimes when starting a bmx eats much more CPU than they did last time. Right now it's Udelay taking up to 60% of my CPU. Anybody recognize this or have asolution other than removing the problematic machines?
Last edited by AndersBrontosaurus on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
pac

Re: Suddenly some machines consume more CPU

Post by pac »

UnwieldyDelay (1 and 2), like many effects, has a denormal issue. It's easy to identify it as a denormal problem: make a song that only contains a generator running though UDelay, lower the feedbacks to near 0%, and send a short sound into it, followed by silence. Then you'll see the CPU spike before falling back down. There's no clean way to fix it but you can put an instance of Cheapo Fixer Pro set to "infinitely" in front of every UDelay, which will keep them constantly active and avoid the spike. Or use the later versions of UDelay which don't have the problem, I think.

Not sure about Qsamo, but it does have polyphony attribute, which can work wonders in terms of CPU without audible difference.
AndersBrontosaurus

Re: Suddenly some machines consume more CPU

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

pac, thanks a million for your brilliant reply. I guess I should use udelay 3 or 4 and learn how to reproduce the sound as education...but your fixertip did the trick. This denormal issue could actually go on the wiki under cpu troubleshooting.
Again, thanks a lot.

Anders