Problems with VSTIs

Grids

Problems with VSTIs

Post by Grids »

I am feeling quite frustrated. I have been using buzz for over 10 years but I am feeling like a noob again with installing it on my new laptop (Windows 8.1 64 bit). I was wondering if you could help.

I use loads of VSTIs but on the new computer, many of them are not working at all. On my previous computer, I had Vista 64 Bit installed and had no problems.

For example: Chimera is a VSTi that I used to use on everything...it is 32 bit and I think it was made with synthedit but I had zero problems with it previously. But it is coming back with all kinds of errors....missing modules etc...and I can get no sound out of it....

Question:

Should I use Normal buzz or 64 Bit?
Which polac should I download?
Any other tips to sort this all out?

Thanks so much.
ags

Re: Problems with VSTIs

Post by ags »

You should use 32bit buzz, & the latest Polac but thats probably not your problem.
  • Does this VST come in an installer you need to run rather than just copying the .dll?
  • Is your VST Directory under Program Files or Program Files (x86) ?
    Some synthedit synths write files to their own directory which newer Windowses won't allow. put them in c:\vsts or something instead.
If that doesn't help tell us what the errors actually say or it's just guesswork.
Grids

Post by Grids »

Thanks.

When I load the particular VSTis (it is lots of them) they spit out lots of error message that say things like 'can't load Module Wave_Warper_CK2003', 'Can't load Module...'. /It seems like the VSTi can't load any of its modules.

It is not about the installer but it might relate to your second idea. The buzz folder and VSTs are in Programs x86 I will try to move the VST folder to C:/

Thanks again. I will try it out.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

no, move it to a directory YOUR USER has write-access to, or give your user write access to the whole buzz dir. this is very likely just UAC getting in the way as ags said, and c:/ is not a place a regular user has access to. my buzz install is on my desktop hehe.
Grids

Post by Grids »

Perfect! Thank you!
wikter

Post by wikter »

That.s right, synthedit plugins write a lot of data to disc to operate. Try to run them as admin, right click>Run as Admin or simply edit the shortcut properties and set Run As Admin as default.
Shouldn.t had a problem. Win XP runs everything as Admin by default.
W7 and upwards needs the admin authorization for almost anything.