would anybody else find this useful? (pattern editor)

DJ Saint-Hubert

would anybody else find this useful? (pattern editor)

Post by DJ Saint-Hubert »

like, let's say you do a pattern mostly in 16th notes/regular buzz ticks. But you have some triplet fills or whatever. To do this, you need to set the no. of divisions to 12. Don't you guys think it would be useful to have a setting where you could set the beat division to 3 so you only need to count by 3s, but it also remembers the notes you entered in 16th notes? As in, it only /hides/ those notes, it doesn't delete them. Even some kind of tree view although I don't know how that'd work exactly.

Just a workflow idea, as counting 123456789101112 is a little less efficient than counting 123 amirite

you can do a little hack by having 2 simultaneous patterns w/ different beat divs but again workflow, also you wouldn't be able to preview how it sounds with the 16th notes. The way I see/hear it the 16th notes would still sound but they just wouldn't be displayed in the pattern, but you could kind of eyeball it with the yellow line
synthphase

Re: would anybody else find this useful? (pattern editor)

Post by synthphase »

IMO it would be cumbersome to hide notes but I'm interested to see what others think. To work with a smaller pattern sizes and still get triplets or whathaveyou, I'd experiment with either using note-delays or sub-patterns. If you get the hang of sub-patterns I think they're a more intuitive way of doing exactly what you're talking about: Trigger a sub-pattern every time you want a triplet and you don't actually have to see the triplet if you know what it's doing. Kind of the reverse of what you're talking about.

For even more fun, the note column in pattern XP can be used to transpose the sub-pattern track, so you can do fancy stuff like pitch up a drum-machine, playing a different set of drums in the same sub-tick pattern.