IX PatchBay III (Updated 9th October 2020)

IXix

IX PatchBay III (Updated 9th October 2020)

Post by IXix »

Changelog:

+ Fixed zero fade time preventing connection changes
+ Fixed error when right-clicking output machine in connections tab
+ Fixed x64 config tool not finding files
+ Added configuration tool to package
+ Removed makeconfigs.bat from package
+ Updated documentation to include config tool
IX PatchBay 3.02 (x86)
IX PatchBay 3.02 (x64)

+ Updated build environment
+ Fixed output assignments being scrambled after load
+ Fixed instacrash from renamed nxn instances
IX PatchBay 3.01 (x86)
IX PatchBay 3.01 (x64)

+ Fixed some obscure stuff. Added some new track commands.
IX PatchBay 3.0 (x86)
IX PatchBay 3.0 (x64)

This is pretty much the same as PatchBay 2.0 but sort of way better. The big difference is that routing is controllable by parameters now and you can have multiple versions of the machine with different numbers of inputs/outputs by renaming the dll files (see the documentation for more details)

There are a bunch of other smaller improvements too but I can't remember exactly what features version 2.0 had and I'm too lazy to go find out. Anyway, this one is much better. Feedback welcome.

edit: You really need to read the installation instructions. :)
Last edited by IXix on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.
tinga

Re: IX PatchBay III

Post by tinga »

Great, perfect for long change with a large fade time, so funny to create a new machine just by changing name 8-) , Thanks, it will replace the 2.0. I like my new 4x3, just to begin.
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:Great, perfect for long change with a large fade time, so funny to create a new machine just by changing name 8-) , Thanks, it will replace the 2.0. I like my new 4x3, just to begin.
Glad you like it. There are a few little things I'd like to add to improve the workflow but they're mostly cosmetic and I ran out of enthusiasm. I think 2.0 was a bit buggy, shouldn't have let it out when I did. This one is far better.
bozz

Post by bozz »

Can this be used together with reaper? Or what is the best way of using buzz together with reaper? I would like to record buzz experiments, in real-time into reaper, via multiple tracks/channels.
IXix

Post by IXix »

bozz wrote:Can this be used together with reaper? Or what is the best way of using buzz together with reaper? I would like to record buzz experiments, in real-time into reaper, via multiple tracks/channels.
I suppose it could be useful in some way.

I've never tried to get sound from Buzz to Reaper but I'd imagine you could use the ReaRoute ASIO driver for Buzz output and feed that into Reaper tracks. If that's the case then I guess you could set up a bunch of Polac's ASIO out machines sending to different ReaRoute channels and use my Patchbay to control what gets sent where.

Others around here will know more about getting sound from Buzz to other programs. I think what you want is possible but I couldn't say how well it would work.
bozz

Post by bozz »

I see, thanks. And is there any offline method of exporting the song to .wav files, so you could mix e.g. in Reaper? e.g. export each arrow going to MASTER as separate .wav file, would be a nice or useful option. But then you would need to arrange fully in buzz, it would not be same.
IXix

Post by IXix »

bozz wrote:I see, thanks. And is there any offline method of exporting the song to .wav files, so you could mix e.g. in Reaper? e.g. export each arrow going to MASTER as separate .wav file, would be a nice or useful option. But then you would need to arrange fully in buzz, it would not be same.
You can use sgorpi's mtw (Multi Track Writer) machine to make separate wavs. Each instance of mtw makes its own wav and they shar a common basic mixer interface. So you just insert an mtw anywhere where you want to record the signal to disk. I've used it to export tracks for a friend to mix in Cubase and it worked well.

You could connect the ouputs of IX PatchBay to mtw machines and use the patchbay to route signals for recording to wavs.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Fixed a bug. New links in first post.

Stupid runtime library blah blah mumble grumble.
Candle

Post by Candle »

IXix wrote:Not having any success trying to upload this to buzzmachines or buzz.robotplanet.dk yet so I'll just post it here for now.

IX PatchBay 3.0 (x86)
IX PatchBay 3.0 (x64)

edit 2017.06.23 - Dropbox killed all my links so I've added new ones. Let me know if they don't work.
The links worked for me. I'm glad I could (sort of) help you find the bug & fix it. Looking forward to playing around with PatchBay & Accumulator now. Might even play around with Split while I'm at it. Off to experiment :mrgreen:

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Post by Candle »

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just installed the new version with the latest bug fix & it crashed on me.

I'm running Buzz Build 1503 x86 on Windows 10. I was using just the basic 8x8 PatchBay & was trying to play around with the Commands in the Pattern Editor. I've added an additional track & then inputed the Command 02 (Plug Ex). When I try to either click or scroll over using the arrow keys to modify the command argument, Buzz crashes. The project contains your Accumulator (set to control the Command parameter) as well as your Split (reacting to an FSM ArpMan & an FSM Infector). I just tried to re-create the same crash with only the PatchBay & could not - so something tells me it's a problem with the Accumulator interacting with the PatchBay.

OK, I just turned off Accumulator's control of PatchBay & tried to modify PatchBay's Command parameter & no crash. I think that was the problem. Accumulator was set to control the PatchBay Command Parameter & when I tried to manually modify that same parameter, Accumulator didn't like it & Buzz crashed. Not sure if it's a bug (I don't see it as such), as I can see why Accumulator doesn't like it. But, does this mean that you can't manually modify the parameters controlled by Accumulator? Is this even a big deal?

What are your thoughts, IXix?
IXix

Post by IXix »

Please can you post a bmx and precise details of how to make the crash happen? I've been messing around with Patchbay and Accumulator for half an hour or so but haven't had a crash yet (although I'm feeling the urge to make Accumulator II)

It shouldn't crash, ever. If it does then something is broken and needs fixing. Modifying a target parameter manually might not work if the peer machine is actively manipulating it but it shouldn't break anything.

You'll struggle to get meaningful results controlling the Patchbay commands with an Accumulator though unless you set up the Accumulator with its own track commands (and plenty of them) to control the output values. Having said that, I'm not entirely certain it's working as it should so it's time to fire up the debugger again...
IXix

Post by IXix »

Been playing with it for a while now and (almost) everything appears to work as it should. No crashes but I have discovered that I somehow forgot to implement track command "07 - Connect All" which means that command 7 is actually "Disconnect All" and command 08 doesn't exist. Oops! I've fixed that and I'm going to add some new commands to make certain things easier to accomplish so I'll post a new version sometime over the next few days.

I'll need a bmx and precise instructions to replicate your crash.

Btw. If anyone feels there should be any other track commands, now would be a good time to make suggestions. ;)

I'll be adding these (the hardest part is coming up with useful names!)

Code: Select all

11 - iioo : "Plug Solo"	       - Connect input ii to output oo and disconnect ii from all other outputs (solo dest for source)
12 - iioo : "Plug Solo Ex"       - Connect input ii to output oo, disconnecting ii from all other outputs and oo from all other inputs (solo exclusive)
13 - nnnn : "Connect Input Ex"   - Connect input nnnn to all outputs and disconnect all other inputs
14 - nnnn : "Connect Output Ex"  - Connect output nnnn to all inputs disconnecting all other outputs
IXix

Post by IXix »

I think I know what caused your crash and I think it's fixed in the next build so don't worry about that bmx just yet. :geek:
IXix

Post by IXix »

Updated. Hopefully fixed that crash and added four new track commands (0x11 to 0x14 see manual for details).

Let me know if there are any issues.
Candle

Post by Candle »

Will DL the update when I get back home. I'm on a Family Road Trip at the moment. Should be back home in the middle of next week. I'll play around with it then. Thanks for the continued development of this great machine!

(Could I put in a user request tho (something I just thought of)? I miss the Machine Skin from version 1.1 - the red one with the golden plugs along the top & bottom. Would love to see that come back the next time you're updating PatchBay :D )

See You In The Shadows…
IXix

Post by IXix »

Candle wrote:Would love to see that come back the next time you're updating PatchBay
Funnily enough I already did, but it ain't red any more. :)
Candle

Post by Candle »

IXix wrote:
Candle wrote:Would love to see that come back the next time you're updating PatchBay
Funnily enough I already did, but it ain't red any more. :)
8-)
Candle

Post by Candle »

Just DL'ed the newest version - love the Blue with Silver Machine Skin!
IXix

Post by IXix »

Candle wrote:love the Blue with Silver Machine Skin!
Well, it's not going to win any art prizes but at least you can tell at a glance what machine it is. :)

As promised (after a short detour and a couple of new versions) here's a template using Accumulator to control Patchbay. It takes two tracks on the Accumulator (one each for command and argument) and you have to trigger them simultaneously, so it's easiest to slave them together. You also need to put the Accumulator into precise mode so it spits out exact values rather than using a percentage of the target param range. In the template that's done with commands in the Accumulator pattern but you only need to do it once so you could probably initialise it with PeerControl or something.

In the example the Accumulator patches input 0 to a random output each time it's triggered. If you want to patch an input other than 0 you need to use the 'Set OR' command on the Accumulator track that targets the argument. Setting the OR value to 0100 would patch input 1, 0200 would patch input 2 etc. (The command is in the pattern but is set to 0000 so does nothing)
Attachments
AccPatch.zip
Accumulator -> Patchbay 3 example
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Candle

Post by Candle »

Very 8-) Thanks IXix!

See You In The Shadows…