What's your favourite filters and why?

AndersBrontosaurus

What's your favourite filters and why?

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

OK. Same as with the reverbs...

I still don't find much time to really dig deep into musicmaking and techniques. I do however spend a few minutes every day reading up on various free VST's. I download them, start a new song and experiment with them. However I tend to revert to the old favourites like LarsHa Funkyverb, FSM Philthy and PanzerDelay, Jeskola Raverb...

I'd really like to ask you what's your favourite or standard go-to filters? I know, it's all about taste but still. If anybody would care to elaborate what native or VST reverbs you prefer (and why you use them) I would gladly read about it.
szaszhareen

Re: What's your favourite filters and why?

Post by szaszhareen »

for resonant lowpass, jeskola filter 3. when working in buzz, I slap it on anything I need to filter, even if the thing has it's own filter, because filter 3 does it better and with less fuss. that is my go to filter and if I could use it in every DAW I would happily get rid of all the other lowpass filters out there.

for more random and experimental buzz-specific stuff, fsm philta is nice and comes with some good presets, same with zephod's color filters. :)

I have long lusted over the electrix filter queen but will probably never bother getting one because I've already run out of room on my desk. XD
AndersBrontosaurus

Ooh!
Is there a Jeskola filter 3? I didn't know. It's not on buzz.robotplanet.dk. Would you care to share it?
I've just found the Bigyo parametric linEq.
Ok it's an eq and not a filter but awesome to me anyhow. :-)

Bigyo parametric EqLin
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

jeskola filter 3 comes with buzz. i went through a long "gotta catch em all" phase with buzzmachines and fx, then promptly turned it around and went for a "i don't need all this shit" phase and spent a good 6 months with nothing but the stock machines/fx and a vst or two. jeskola filter 3 came out at all times. :) thank you oskari for implementing the handy new search feature, i never much liked dicking around with those endless index menus. XD parameq is huge for sound design and workflow. it's the one thing that will let you follow along with all those dick all tutorials all over the internet that have you eqing 3 bands over and over. true, it's good for sweeping too, but filter 3 gives you a much more musical and obviously resonant way to do that. :)
Attachments
filter 3.PNG
filter 3.PNG (10.73 KiB) Viewed 11111 times
AndersBrontosaurus

I sincerely can't find Jeskola filter 3 anywhere. It's not in my gearfolder, not in the mdbfolder, not on buzz.robotplanet.do and not in the old massivepack from 2004. I've even searched the internet archive which needs funding by the way.
Would you care to upload the filter here please?

About poking around in indexes you can make an entry in the index called best in show where you stash your favourites.
:-)
tinga

Post by tinga »

Two filters in this bmx, I like many filters in Buzz, these 2 are my fav.
Attachments
filter clap split1.zip
(10.26 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
tinga

Post by tinga »

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:I sincerely can't find Jeskola filter 3 anywhere.
I think it's a native machine, not in the gear folder (I didn't see any jeskola filter 3 in my effects folder) you can see it in the machine menu in the machine view. It's a small "Qsamo" filter.
AndersBrontosaurus

thanks! Finally I found it. Can't see what i did wrong. I did sincerely search in both serchfields to the right called "machines" and "more machines" + looked in the index where it didn't have an entry (or i didn't find it) before I went looking in the gearfolders without finding it but now it's here. Really can't see how I missed it first...

Thank you for sharing your bmx. I always learn something from studying your bmx's.
Zwei Kreise

Post by Zwei Kreise »

Joachim's Tethys 1.3, no contest. Still the best sounding filter I've heard in any software. Absolutely trounces anything else I've heard especially in commercial products (like a lot of Buzz machines if I'm being perfectly honest).

I also really enjoy Fuzzpilz' 4pf as well, which is the crazy version of a filter in the same way the Chorpse is a crazy version of a chorus (allows you to go all out on the resonance and the "Poles" slider is madness), and his Moogoo has some strange "quality" and "Nonlin" sliders that add some interesting artifacts on top being a solid filter ; Joachim's Mercury is kinda like a simplified Tethys but sounds very creamy and nice to the ears, and his Temperature is also a very useful tool to quickly rebalance a sound ; Zephod's color filters are excellent too, the Blue filter in particular, especially for its separate cutoff for each channel, and its vocal modes that sound very rich ; Bigyo's 2p filter is another simple one, but the Bandpass on it sounds really great.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

Zwei Kreise wrote:Joachim's Tethys 1.3, no contest. Still the best sounding filter I've heard in any software. Absolutely trounces anything else I've heard especially in commercial products (like a lot of Buzz machines if I'm being perfectly honest).

I also really enjoy Fuzzpilz' 4pf as well, which is the crazy version of a filter in the same way the Chorpse is a crazy version of a chorus (allows you to go all out on the resonance and the "Poles" slider is madness), and his Moogoo has some strange "quality" and "Nonlin" sliders that add some interesting artifacts on top being a solid filter ; Joachim's Mercury is kinda like a simplified Tethys but sounds very creamy and nice to the ears, and his Temperature is also a very useful tool to quickly rebalance a sound ; Zephod's color filters are excellent too, the Blue filter in particular, especially for its separate cutoff for each channel, and its vocal modes that sound very rich ; Bigyo's 2p filter is another simple one, but the Bandpass on it sounds really great.

dude you are so right. i forgot about tethys. good stuff!
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Glad to hear it. I'm trying to port the Tethys filter to VST/AudioUnit (and added an LFO just like Mercury).

http://www.robotplanet.dk/audio_plugins/mercury_filter/
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

Just have to add my two cents. I put Tethys on literally everything. Usually Tethys > DiscoThrillme VST for a quick big sound.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

If you want to quickly give a breath to your sound or make it deeper, Joachim's Temperature is a great and amazing filter. Also the light distortion called Graue SoftSat.
rav

Post by rav »

Joachip wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:37 am Glad to hear it. I'm trying to port the Tethys filter to VST/AudioUnit (and added an LFO just like Mercury).

http://www.robotplanet.dk/audio_plugins/mercury_filter/
Sweet ;)
I wanted to report instant crash of 2/4/6 pole LP filter while playing with LFO (LP freq knob), but just see you have made some updates and probably it works better now. I'll try it soon.
I am really liking LFO section in comparison to many other filters. Snap to tempo feature would be nice.

If someone doesn't notice it, there are some more plugins :D

BTW I have tried TB4005 again and now it's working for me :dance: On win7 i have had only stuttering sound. Maybe lack of runtime packages?
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Damn! I didnt see all these great vst by Joa. TB4005 will be my next try. I'm a huge fan of the TB4004 generator, I used it a lot!
And there is a Temperature vst version ? Wow! I have to try this one too ;)
Once again, I want to deeply thank all coders that contibutes to this masterpiece piece of software called JESKOLA BUZZ :dance: :dance: :dance:
THANK YOU!!!

EDIT : the mp3 demo for Temperature is greater than a long explanation :idea:
invisible_sweater

Post by invisible_sweater »

For some reason I just stuck on the Mercury Filter early on using Buzz, and I haven't found one I like more. It's just simple and practical, but has the potential to get weird and noisy. I can use it like an EQ in my mixing chain or tweak the knobs for glitchy effects, really versatile. I like the Green Filter and Blue Filter for more ambient noise kinda stuff too.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Regarding the crash in my Mercury VST filter, please download the latest version. It should be fixed.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

FSM Philthy

I just love it so much.

Why? The filter models are so cool, and have such unusual names.
mik82

Post by mik82 »

Well I've always used FSM Philthy but I just checked out Tethys and it sounds great - couple of peer LFOs on the LP and HP cutoff and the analog control turned up :)