Surge

polac

Re: Surge

Post by polac »

Willy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:55 pm
polac wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:32 am Ok i checked the 64bit version of Surge, seems to work in 32bit Buzz here. What i have done:

polac VSTi > preferences > global2 > scanshell > vsti3shell.x64.dll > restart BUZZ
I don't understand the "scan shell" part. If I click on it, nothing happens. I also don't even know how to have VSTs appear in the machine search like River Cricket shows. Not even my working VSTs appear in that list.

Odd, there seems to be something broken. It should show a list of shell plugins in a menu, here you select a shell plugin to scan. Then it shows a dialog with some infos about the found plugins. Sounds to me that your vst directories are not scanned properly for some reason. At least the buzz/gear/vst folder should get scanned where the vst3shell plugins are located.

Also is there a machines.dll in buzz\gear? If it is not there won't show up plugins in machine search.
Joachip

Re: Plugins called .vst3

Post by Joachip »

Just be absolute certain... are 64 bit VST3 plugins that have a file name ending with .vst3 supposed to work in 32 bit buzz using the wrapper?

I'm trying to get it to work on my computer, but they don't show up. I tried making a copy of the .vst3 file called .dll which then shows up, but it won't load. What am I missing? Help!

PS: 64 bit buzz with the 64 bit set of polac loaders doesn't show an error message when trying to load the same renamed plugin, but it also doesn't work. Normal 64 bit VST2 plugins called .dll work just fine.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

Joachip wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:51 am Normal 64 bit VST2 plugins called .dll work just fine.
Is there possible to download VST2 version ?
I have installed VST3 only ,both 32 and 64...
Last edited by temporalsounds on Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
nathansnider

Post by nathansnider »

Renaming a .vst3 to .dll will not work. VST3s do need to be in a specific location to work, however (C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 for 64 bit versions and C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3 for 32 bit versions). Is the file in the proper VST3 folder, and is the folder in your PVST scan path?

Surge is VST3 only, because Steinberg stopped issuing VST2 developer licenses a couple years ago.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Yup, that's what I did first: Having the VST3 in that folder. And yes, I also have that folder added to polac's set of VST paths.

I just wanted confirmation whether a 64 bit VST3 plugin ending with ".vst3" has been known to work with polac or not.
polac

Post by polac »

Joachip wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:51 am Just be absolute certain... are 64 bit VST3 plugins that have a file name ending with .vst3 supposed to work in 32 bit buzz using the wrapper?

I'm trying to get it to work on my computer, but they don't show up. I tried making a copy of the .vst3 file called .dll which then shows up, but it won't load. What am I missing? Help!

PS: 64 bit buzz with the 64 bit set of polac loaders doesn't show an error message when trying to load the same renamed plugin, but it also doesn't work. Normal 64 bit VST2 plugins called .dll work just fine.
Of course 64bit vst3's should work in 32bit Buzz. You have to rescan the vst3shell.dlls in the preferences to let them show up. The wrapper scans for .vst3 and not for .dll.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

reviving this thread because i just recently installed surge, two issues i noticed:

-like mentioned, i had to re-scan the vst3shell manually. couldn't this be done automatically? i think this is very unexpected for new users or when coming from vst2 usage in buzz, where a buzz restart would be all that's required.

-the gui is unusable, every popup window such as the patch browser immediately closes again after clicking. i've seen this reported for other VST too.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

working good here in 32 bit buzz and 64 bit buzz

surge short video:
short video
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

don't know what the problem is, but when i open that patch browser or other popups and slightly move the mouse, it instantly disappears again. i'm actually noticing a lot of strange GUI behavior in other plugins too (for example in vital, the filter presets dropdown never closes and gets stuck) and i'm quite sure i've seen others on here report the same thing. this is on the latest pvst. i think some people narrowed it down to JUCE bullshit?
IXix

Post by IXix »

I've had the thing where menus flicker into view and disappear. I found that if I remove the plugin and put in a fresh instance it seems to behave itself, which is a bit of a pain but PVST copy/paste preset works a treat.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

UNZ wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:34 pm I'm actually noticing a lot of strange GUI behavior in other plugins too (for example in vital, the filter presets dropdown never closes and gets stuck) and i'm quite sure i've seen others on here report the same thing. this is on the latest pvst. i think some people narrowed it down to JUCE bullshit?
You are right,
I tried Vital VST plugin 64bit in Buzz32bit.Scanning VST was without the problem,but when I load GUI VST in Buzz32 , VST plugin suddenly disappeared from VST Polac loader.Then I tried in Buzz64 and this action causes Buzz64 crash.Same in Reaper x64 causes crash the DAW.Have no idea what's going on. :? I'm using Windows 8.1 x64 still ,because of E-MU drivers for old soundcard interface.
Maybe missing something.But I don't think so. Golden Win7 tuned perfectly time ago :( ...hmm
polac

Post by polac »

temporalsounds wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:57 pm
UNZ wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:34 pm I'm actually noticing a lot of strange GUI behavior in other plugins too (for example in vital, the filter presets dropdown never closes and gets stuck) and i'm quite sure i've seen others on here report the same thing. this is on the latest pvst. i think some people narrowed it down to JUCE bullshit?
You are right,
I tried Vital VST plugin 64bit in Buzz32bit.Scanning VST was without the problem,but when I load GUI VST in Buzz32 , VST plugin suddenly disappeared from VST Polac loader.Then I tried in Buzz64 and this action causes Buzz64 crash.Same in Reaper x64 causes crash the DAW.Have no idea what's going on. :? I'm using Windows 8.1 x64 still ,because of E-MU drivers for old soundcard interface.
Maybe missing something.But I don't think so. Golden Win7 tuned perfectly time ago :( ...hmm
Hi, I tried the latest Vital version(v1.5.5, the 'early access' version) here, free version, no crash on opening gui here. I'm on Win10. I tried both vst2 and vst3, both working here.