Any way of getting WASAPI audio input?

River Cricket

Any way of getting WASAPI audio input?

Post by River Cricket »

After two months tinkering with ASIO, I'm throwing in the towel - for whatever reason, it just doesn't get along with my setup, and audio in Buzz and elsewhere is full of unpredictable hitches and twitches no matter what settings I tweak, and no matter if I use ASIO4ALL or my hardware interface's native ASIO drivers. WASAPI is fine and low-latency enough for my purposes.

However, this means I'm unable to use polac's otherwise-golden Audio In machine :(

Has anyone had any success with an alternate means of getting external audio gear to feed into Buzz? Or, failing that, how much beer will it take to get a Polac WASAPI driver? :D
onecircles

Re: Any way of getting WASAPI audio input?

Post by onecircles »

Did you try polac asio? Polac asio drivers are like golden milk of heaven.
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

onecircles wrote:Did you try polac asio? Polac asio drivers are like golden milk of heaven.
They really are great, but when the hitching is occuring once the audio's outside Buzz (i.e., somewhere in between Buzz generating a signal and that signal passing through my audio interface into my speakers/headphones), there's not really much they can do. You can have the best auto-tune in the world, but if the turntable you're playing your hit single on has a worn belt you're gonna get inconsistent pitch no matter what :)
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

True dat. What audio interface are you using?
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

onecircles wrote:True dat. What audio interface are you using?
I use the Behringer UMC204HD - one of the best buys out there, if you can get past the noisy headphone out (I just plug my headphones into one of the rear outputs - lose the hardware volume knob and sacrifice some teeth-rattling loudness, but it's an acceptable tradeoff imho). SNR is comparable to interfaces four times the price.

ASIO was even less workable for me without it - ASIO4ALL is a bit of a kludge, yes, but fundamentally even with dedicated drivers ASIO is an old standard that's starting to show its age. WASAPI has comparable latency in most use cases and is way more intelligent with load balancing and plays far nicer in a shared environment, as one would expect from something baked into the OS.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Yeah I guess the device probably needs to have strong support for asio in the first place. I use a Lynx E22 and asio is a dream for me. I'm running my setup at 96khz with 5ms turnaround latency. I don't use any other audio applications except buzz though.

I used to use wasapi. I had best results with that driver before moving to the polac drivers. However, I actually had a really weird problem where I was getting like some compression artifact sounds when I played amplified(my computer plugs directly into a guitar amp). I don't know if it was really the driver or some other factor, but that issue went away when I switched to asio.

I had this long period where I was searching for the best drivers for tone. The devs said I was crazy and I probably was. Still Asio sounds f'in great.

I support you on your quest for good drivers. :mrgreen: