Machine for sample/sound delay ?

HerrFornit

Machine for sample/sound delay ?

Post by HerrFornit »

Hi buzzers,

I am looking for a buzz machine for sample delay, or in general for any sound delay.
(not echo or reverb)
like this vst:
https://www.forward-audio.com/phase-ali ... mpledelay/

Is there a tiny cpu friendly buzz alternative?

Thanx!
onecircles

Re: Machine for sample/sound delay ?

Post by onecircles »

I'd wager that fuzzpilz unwieldy delay can do anything that plugin you linked, and a lot more. It can also be set up as a very nice beat accurate looper. It has 3 channels with filters. Loop time can be set as ms, samples, or ticks per channel.

I recently was looking for a cpu-friendly alternative to a VST I use called 'mfg tripletap' which is a very nice sounding delay. After digging into it, I realized the reason that it sounds so lush is because it has a pitch shift driven by 2 LFOs before the delay, so the sound is very organic and thick.

Here fuzzpilz comes to the rescue again with unweildy pitch. It comes in two flavors, and one is driven by an LFO.

I ended up replacing mfg tripletap with a template of unwieldy pitch -> unwieldy pitch -> unwieldy delay -> unwieldy delay.

So I went from 3 delays and a single pitch shift to 6 delays and 2 pitch shifts. The sound was waaaay bigger and just as lush when I got it dialed in and the overall CPU usage was still a few points lower.

I also like vinje delay, ld pipe delay, whitenoise harmonic delay, 11 delay and H. delay. I use all of these in paralell on my guitar.

But the other king of delays in the Buzz space is definitely Joachim Saturn. It is not so cpu friendly, but it sounds amazing.
HerrFornit

Re: Machine for sample/sound delay ?

Post by HerrFornit »

Hi onecircles,

ah, thank you for that many hints!
Didn't know that you can use the echo delays as sound delay (no feedback of course, yes). Great.
though, the time resolution (steps) is a bit low for synchronisation.
the 11 delay has a good resolution, but a bit limited range.

the h.delay I didn't find.
In the saturn machine I couldn't find a time delay? How do you use it?