Peer machines not working with Buzz64

River Cricket

Peer machines not working with Buzz64

Post by River Cricket »

Poking around in Buzz64 and having an absolute whale of a time trying to get the BTDSys Peer Machines to work.

This is all on a fresh install of Buzz64, though with the caveat that Buzz32 is also on this computer.

PeerLFO doesn't let me go into Assign Parameter - the option is there, but no right-arrow. See below:

PeerCtrl is, unsurprisingly, glitchy - I've registered envelope.ocx multiple times, both from an elevated command prompt and via the Fix Kit. Tried both the Jeskola and the Stygmate versions of envelope.ocx. I can open Assignment Settings, but it opens in a "new window" (with a blank icon on the taskbar), and is prone to crashing Buzz. No machines show up in the drop-down.

PeerScale has no machines in the drop-down within the "Assign..." menu.

PeerADSR lets me draw custom envelopes, but the "Assign Parameter..." option does nothing.

These are, as far as I know, the same versions as on the Sourceforge site. I've also tried directly copying the .dlls from my working Buzz32 install.

iXMagic also doesn't show any available machines.

However, PVST works properly when routing MIDI - it shows other machines, even the barely-working PeerMachines.

Snowglobe Scalewalker works properly too.

Is there a "Peermaster™" file of some sort that's missing?

Everything works perfectly in Buzz32. Maybe I need a 64-bit version of some Microsoft Redistributable?

(also, none of the "special skin" machines - such as Green Milk - show their special skins in Buzz64. It's all just basic blue/red/gray boxes. I vaguely, vaguely recall that this is just the way it is in Buzz64, maybe something to do with the way it bridges 32-bit machines, but... can someone confirm?)
thOke

Re: Peer machines not working with Buzz64

Post by thOke »

River Cricket wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:38 am Poking around in Buzz64 and having an absolute whale of a time trying to get the BTDSys Peer Machines to work.

This is all on a fresh install of Buzz64, though with the caveat that Buzz32 is also on this computer.
There are x64 versions for some machines working with Buzzx64 here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/btdsys/files/
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

thOke wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:44 am
River Cricket wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:38 am Poking around in Buzz64 and having an absolute whale of a time trying to get the BTDSys Peer Machines to work.

There are x64 versions for some machines working with Buzzx64 here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/btdsys/files/
I've poked through the Sourceforge site and don't see anything explicitly labelled as "x64", and all the .zips just have one machine in them. There's some stuff in the "Old downloads" folder that mentions "New Buzz", but I'm pretty sure that refers to the big backwards-compatibility-breaking release from forever ago.
thOke

Post by thOke »

https://sourceforge.net/projects/btdsys ... p/download

These updates are made by IX and are in the machine folders.
"x64 versions (where available) are currently untested and unsupported. They might work but equally might not."

I don't use Buzz x64 very often. They seem to work. PeerChord too. All not tested extensively though.
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

How did I miss those!? I'm so embarrassed, I think I must have just clicked every single Peermachine that didn't have x64 versions. :oops:
thOke wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:17 pm I don't use Buzz x64 very often.
Yeah, me neither. Only loaded it to check some issues I've found with Dexed, one of which happened to be the inability to control certain parameters with PeerCtrl... which of course led me down this rabbit hole.

It does seem like 64-bit VST performance is slightly better in Buzz64 (idle Serum at 1% CPU versus 3.5% CPU, one of my "stress test" patches at about 27.5% CPU versus 30% CPU), maybe the bridge has a bit of overhead.
thOke wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:17 pm They seem to work. PeerChord too. All not tested extensively though.
I would definitely test an x64 PeerCtrl if iX put one out... just sayin' :D
IXix

Post by IXix »

River Cricket wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:06 amI would definitely test an x64 PeerCtrl if iX put one out... just sayin' :D
Yeah, I'll be on that soon. I need all the peers to behave properly on x64.

Magic should be fine as long as you're actually using the x64 version. If not, let me know of any problems.
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

IXix wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:11 pm Magic should be fine as long as you're actually using the x64 version. If not, let me know of any problems.
I'm almost certainly not, haha. I've been using pVST for years and still have to remind myself that the x86/x64 download options refer to the Buzz install, not your OS or the version of plugins you want to run :oops:

Looking forward to x64 PeerCtrl!