Buzz on Linux

commadore65

Buzz on Linux

Post by commadore65 »

Thought I should make a new thread for this as it is now usable.

Only tried in Manjaro. If you use just Arch, despite your ascension to an all energy being this will probs work also if you want to frequent the mortal realm.

Wine tricks installed was using 64bit prefix by default (using 86x buzz as opposed to 64bit), open terminal to add .net 4.

winetricks dotnet40

Follow the installer.

Also added Core Fonts

winetricks corefonts

installed software.

wine "./Downloads/BuzzSetup1503.exe"

Install buzz.

So far have managed to install new PVST and install various VSTs and VSTis. There are slight graphical errors that will generally disappear after a window resize. The type menu in the machine view is a bit dodgey (right hand list search works fine).

Couldn't use newly developed things such as AudioBlock yet, so if that already features highly in your workflow that will be an issue.

Would be keen to find out install success of others that try it from diff distros etc.
Last edited by commadore65 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
commadore65

Re: Buzz on Linux

Post by commadore65 »

Here's an idea sketch I made using Buzz in Linux with some fairly unstable (wily) machines - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nu2Gyw ... sp=sharing
Audio - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JpJ5Fu ... sp=sharing
mirens

Post by mirens »

I followed your way of installing buzz on ubuntu 20.04 and it works, the only problem is that buzz.exe uses too much CPU while doing nothing...
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-09-30 07-26-35.png
Screenshot from 2021-09-30 07-26-35.png (300.12 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
commadore65

Post by commadore65 »

Not got it as bad as you (showing about half what you have), but there is still a constant for me also. Guess it's pointless if it can't out perform a VM :| ...

Was a bit caught up in the fact it ran for the first time in all these years to be honest.
mik82

Post by mik82 »

I used Linux as my main os for years - until new Buzz and the touchscreen support in Windows 8.

I quite like Windows 10, but we'll see what 11 is like - I'd be tempted to go back if Buzz worked well in Wine!
commadore65

Post by commadore65 »

Something like WINE might be necessary when everyone goes RISC. Although suppose Microsoft could do a good "rosetta" equivalent.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

I install Buzz on Ubuntu 21.04 version.
Same CPU load like mirens mentioned above.
I have many graphical issues. Maybe not installed correctly wine tricks .. :?:
EDIT : 6.10.2021
By the way ,nice sketch commadore65 . I looked at bmx and made some 'EQ rmx' here
Not composed in Linux.. :?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-10-03 20-20-25.png
Screenshot from 2021-10-03 20-20-25.png (390.46 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
commadore65

Post by commadore65 »

Lush mate. :) really nice to hear what you did with it!!
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

commadore65 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:23 pm Lush mate. :) really nice to hear what you did with it!!
nikmis

Post by nikmis »

I just got buzz to work in ubuntu first try, no problem, by following the instructions in the OP. It works great even. I installed my standard set of VSTs, silent way and VAZ modular and those work too. I am in shock. Shock!

jeskola buzz was the last thing holding me back from switching to linux completely.
mik82

Post by mik82 »

I've tried the instructions in Kubuntu 23.04
It installs and runs, but doesn't display - just shows a screenshot of the desktop at the time it ran.
I can still right click, add machine but that's it!

Edit - interestingly I can also get the x64 Buzz 2022 edition to install and run but same behaviour as above.
commadore65

Post by commadore65 »

never know.. might be possible one day.

The year is 3628 nanobots have kept one single remnant of the past world capable. AIchiologist drones find a single flashing terminal deep within the soil... a single forum page is still online from the past. Turns out the data for Buzz Forums was uploaded to the postcloud (space satellite storage).

The terminal indicates it has a buzz executable ... but it's running Haiku.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

commadore65 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:52 am The terminal indicates it has a buzz executable ... but it's running Haiku.
8-) 8-) 8-)
Nightfall in autumn ...
bozz

Post by bozz »

Just use buze 0.5.2 or buze 0.5.9 or buze 0.8.9 or buzz 1.2 in linux via wine and all works perfectly.
If you use Reaper as well, install it with ReaRouteASIO and use this sound device in buze/buzz audio output settings. Then you can additionally route audio outputs from buze/buzz to Reaper for additional mixing tricks and fun there. Best of both worlds. Buzz in linux is already a solved problem, from my point of view. Only maybe not for the latest .NET version, but who needs this?
chahur

Post by chahur »

Hello
I still have some problem with my Buzz on linux and I would appreciate some help :-)
Ubuntu Mate 22.4
PlayOnLinux
Wine 7.22
Starting Buzz is fine.
But when I drop a component (effect or generator), I have an error message :
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at BuzzGUI.PatternEditor.ColumnRenderer.Font.GetAdvanceWidths(String text, TextFormattingMode tfm)

I have the idea that it may be relative to fonts, so I tried to add, remove fonts from the wine install, and from the linux install.
But it only goes worse (crash with no message when doing the same drop ...).
Here is the message :
Capture du 2023-09-26 20-54-53.jpg
Capture du 2023-09-26 20-54-53.jpg (238.23 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
chahur

Post by chahur »

I have found a solution.
It was relative to font as I suspected.
For those who know wine and PlayOnLinux :
There is a bug somewhere (playonlinux probably) with the font added in the directory of the virtual drive C:\windows\font.
I moved all of them from Windows\Font to ~/.local/share/fonts and ... it works fine !
Now I can go further testing Buzz on Linux :-)
mirens

Post by mirens »

nice debuging :D thank you for the info
nikmis

Post by nikmis »

at this point I have been using this latest version of buzz in wine on ubuntu for a few months. I have encountered zero real problems. I have recorded most of an album this way. The only thing is it doesn't exit easily, I have to shut it down via terminal
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Great to hear. Do you have any issues with latency or sound quality? What setup are you using in terms of audio drivers etc? I hope to build a Nix system oriented around wine/buzz soon.
chahur

Post by chahur »

I have been using Buzz on Linux for a few months now.
The cpu load is a bit heavy.
I don't have problem with Buzz machines.
Rendering is OK.

The only real problem I have is with VSTi :
When I load a vsti individually, it works fine.
But some of them together freeze Buzz.
It is not "A and B are mutually incompatible", in some case, they work fine together, sometime not.
But in a project, if the problem occurs, it always will : when I load the new VSTi, Buzz freeze.

I will try to investigate further, but any suggestions are welcome.