64-bit

thepedal

64-bit

Post by thepedal »

I installed BuzzSetup_x64_1440 today as a clean install and then installed the latest polac package pvst64_v1.1.10b17 as well. It all works fine so I started to copy some machines in from my main install. Only certain groups to start with. Btdsys stuff which I know doesn't work generally, then a few more machines I always use. Started up buzz and got a lot of missing machines even though they were in gear. For example, joachim+zephod comp, zephod miditracker, cheapo amp. Trying to add new copies of those machines gives an error about 'is not a valid win32 program'.

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember installing x64 not so long again and not having problems with loading most machines. The 64-32 bit bridge was working well I thought. Are there in fact quite a lot of machines (including those list above) which won't load at all in x64, or is there something wrong with my particular install? It won't be the first time my memory has let me down :?

The other thing I notice is that the miditracker, for example only shows as "Zephod MidiTra" in the machine search side panel.

If lots of machines don't work then is there a list of those which people think do work anywhere? I can't see any threads on the new forum that might have such a thing, but perhaps one was running in the church of old?
mcbpete

Re: 64-bit

Post by mcbpete »

I've been meaning to ask a similar question (though don't want to hijack thepedal's thread) - I'm finally gonna be brought back up to date from the dark ages in the form of a new Sony Vaio 64-bit lappy and wondered which version of Buzz I should install. I was under the [possibly incorrect] impression that the recent 64-bit builds of Buzz allowed you to use all of the 32 bit machines - Is it more of the case that though the bulk of them are compatible I'll run into some issues, so would be best to stick with 32-bit builds (at the moment anyway) ?
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

As the 64-bit build of Buzz is still experimental, I would suggest you keep the 32-bit build as your main one. I have both installed on my machine, and they don't interfer with each other at all, but I use the 32-bit for writing music. Polac has built a bridge, and the one Oskari put in is pretty good, but neither is perfect asaik. Also, if you look at the build log of buzz, you'll see that the 64-bit build has not been the focus of development.

As for the 32bit machines in 64bit, you have to remember that a lot of the older machines use a different GUI system, which is from a few OS's ago, and often used hacks (like the btd ones) or bad coding practices. They are going to break no matter how good the bridge is :( However, have you checked that the .dll's you have in the 32bit root dir are in the 64bit one? ie MSVCR100.dll?
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

mantratronic wrote:As the 64-bit build of Buzz is still experimental, I would suggest you keep the 32-bit build as your main one.
Cool, cheers man !
thepedal

Post by thepedal »

Thought for a moment there that I'd fallen foul of the old missing msc*.dll trap, and not for the first time , but it looks like they are all there. Is the polac bridge included in the polac pvst package, does it install in the x_64 buzz setup or else is it available somewhere separately? As you say mantratronic, it's entirely experimental but I think I miss those years of hope and longing before newbuzz exploded. Still regularly blown away by the amount of constant development work which goes on around buzz. I thought for a long time someone would pull off a reasonable clone, and there have been some ok ones, but to have a fresh release of the original available almost every time I sit down to do tunes is stunning.
domtron

Post by domtron »

it seems oskari silently implemented loading x32 machines into the x64 version.
i think it's worth a big thank you!

so far the 64 build work pretty well for me. ;)

(i'm using build 1453 atm.)
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

I've been using 64bit VSTs in X86 Buzz, I guess it'd be smart to install X64 right about now. Is it stable enough? The reason I wanted to use 64bit plugs is because I have a lot of RAM, so wanted to utilize it.
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

I dont think anyone has been using it enough to say whether its stable or not.. Doesnt the newer PVST allow for bridging to 64bit vsts already?
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

Yeah, it's true, but anywhere I look, it says use 64bit plugs with a 64bit DAW. So being a complete idiot that I am, I figure buzz has to be 64bits as well, not that it actually makes a difference, the X86 version works great already.

P.S. Clark's new album is THE SHIT!
domtron

Post by domtron »

i'm using it exclusively since a couple of weeks mostly with vst's,kibibu's gain is also running fine for example. it is working the same as buzz x86,beside the peer stuff that isn't working at the moment (i think).
using beta 1464.