Machine View - 'Type to Search' function

fetus ink

Machine View - 'Type to Search' function

Post by fetus ink »

This is something that has been bothering me for a while, well, its a few things.

The first is that when I type in "polac" (searching for polac VSTi for example) , the list instead shows every VST in my directory instead of machine names with the word "polac" in them.

Also, I would absolutely /love/ to be able to start typing a name of a machine, say ... "fuz" (short for Fuzzpilz) and then just use the 'up' and 'down' arrows to cycle through the list, and hit 'enter' from there instead of having to use the mouse to select. I for some reason thought we were able to do this before, but either I was imagining things, or its broken now.

Lastly, sometimes I accidentally will hit a button on my keyboard while in machine view and the "search box" pops up. I know we can hit "esc" to get rid of it, but in my case today (using an old keyboard), my escape key doesn't work, so I was forced to have to hit enter to load a machine and then delete it. Is there any way we can just "click outside" of the search box to have it close instead of relying solely on the keyboard?

Just a few things I think would be really helpful, and I would be much appreciative for if they were implemented :D
mute

Re: Machine View - 'Type to Search' function

Post by mute »

fetus ink wrote:Also, I would absolutely /love/ to be able to start typing a name of a machine, say ... "fuz" (short for Fuzzpilz) and then just use the 'up' and 'down' arrows to cycle through the list, and hit 'enter' from there instead of having to use the mouse to select. I for some reason thought we were able to do this before, but either I was imagining things, or its broken now.
This works, its what got me addicted to the feature.. I hate the mouse.
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

Hm ... Well thats good to know. Mine hasn't been working though, and I have no idea why. Left and Right work with whatever I'm typing, changing the cursor from letter to letter, but up and down gets me nowhere. I just tested my keys in firefox here and they all seem to be fine. Wonder why Buzz isn't seeing this?

Just opened up and tested in Buzz: They work within the parameter and sequence views just fine as well. Just not in the machine view search function.
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

Update: No, it does work. Mine is no longer highlighted though so I can't see what machine is actually highlighted.

Update 2: If I click a machine name, it will then highlight, and /then/ the arrows move it around as it should be. But it does not automatically highlight the first machine as it should. Just installed 1440, too.
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

So no ideas on what I may do to fix this highlight issue? My question is, when updating buzz, does it overwrite ParameterWindow.xml? I'm thinking maybe I fucked something up when I was goofing around in there.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Works here. Tried the default theme?
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

Yeah I'm set to default. Is a 6mb .gif too big? I could upload it here to show whats happening
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

Oh, and also, as far as this search function goes, at one time, were we able to right click an arrow between two machines, type a name, select machine, and have it automatically insert between those two machines? I thought this worked at one point but it doesn't now.
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

fetus ink wrote:Oh, and also, as far as this search function goes, at one time, were we able to right click an arrow between two machines, type a name, select machine, and have it automatically insert between those two machines? I thought this worked at one point but it doesn't now.
Hmm, still works here.
Click somewhere on machine view and then hover over an arrow, type name of effect/VST (select it) and hit enter.
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

aha, that works. I specifically remember clicking the arrow though and it also working. I guess its just habit of "right click > insert effect", but I do remember right clicking, then typing, and that working too. Unless I just really have a terrible memory. I like the feeling of knowing I have it "selected" in a sense, rather than go to let off of the mouse to start typing and find that the mouse maybe moved slightly off of that arrow. Thats a small portion of space to try and hone in on every time
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

highlighting color in the QuickNewMachinewindow is also windows theme dependant.

as far as hovering on the connection triangles goes, i put animations in my theme to have a visual feedback. :)
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

Ok, theres definitely something wrong with my 'highlight' feature in the newer builds of buzz.

I downloaded and ran 1423, just to try an older version, and the highlighting works like it should, automatically highlighting the first name under your search.

I thought maybe MY 1458 folder had something messed up with it, so I installed a new folder for 1458, completely clean, to my desktop and ran that. The highlight issue remains in the newer build.

In the gif below (dont mind the demo program logo) you can see that the highlight is extremely hard to see, but is slightly visible (easier to see when I brought my contrast down a bit)

Now after clicking inside, the highlight shows up fine.

strobotone

Post by strobotone »

try if changing the windows or buzz wpf theme changes it.
do you encounter the same issue in the wavetable view?
Attachments
theme_menu.jpg
theme_menu.jpg (24.93 KiB) Viewed 7636 times
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

I already had went through the windows default and WPF modes but nothing changes it. The Wavetable I guess is fine? It seems to look and feel more like Windows 7 than the highlighting method used in the search function in machine view. But, I did find its not only just the search function with this issue, but the sidebar in machine view as well.
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

No more ideas on what could be up with the highlight issue I'm having? I'm wondering if its possible a setting in Windows itself, but I never changed anything, and as I said before, older versions of buzz work perfectly fine highlight-wise.

By the way, thanks to Oskari for fixing the 'searching for polac/listing every vst' bug. :D
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

you could force it into a new color. like the font color changes when hovering over an item using the "dark" theme.