Unhandled exception at 0x76ACEDDB (ucrtbase.dll)

UNZ

Unhandled exception at 0x76ACEDDB (ucrtbase.dll)

Post by UNZ »

My Buzz is not stable since quite some time, i can basically just open it and let it sit there (with a silent audio driver, empty machine view) and after a few minutes it crashes. If i attach a debugger and wait for the crash, this is what i get:

Unhandled exception at 0x76ACEDDB (ucrtbase.dll) in buzz.exe: Fatal program exit requested.

It's also throwing a lot of exceptions all the time while it still runs:
Exception thrown at 0x7616CA42 in buzz.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: EEMessageException at memory location 0x0019F07C.
Exception thrown at 0x7616CA42 in buzz.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: [rethrow] at memory location 0x00000000.
The thread 0x31b4 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
UNZ

Re: Unhandled exception at 0x76ACEDDB (ucrtbase.dll)

Post by UNZ »

I think i figured it out: running NGEN again seems to fix the problem, so just re-install buzz over your old installation and make sure that checkbox is ticked. i think this happened because i migrated this windows installation to a new machine with a different CPU, so the AOT apparently had to run again to generate code that's not crashing on this new machine...

both the crash and the EEMessgeExceptions are gone now, knock on wood...
IXix

Post by IXix »

Oh cool! I don't get ucrtbase.dll crashes from just running Buzz but if I'm debugging they happen all the time and it drives me crazy. Maybe this will help with those...
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

yes, debugging was such a pain in the ass with those! (btw, you can filter some in VS, it helps a bit)
what got me suspicious was that only 1 out of 5 computers i have here had this problem (my main dev rig..), so i thought it must be solvable..

let me know if this fixes your issues too.
IXix

Post by IXix »

UNZ wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:59 amlet me know if this fixes your issues too.
Early signs seem good. I've had Buzz64 running in debug for thirty minutes without any mention of ucrtbase.dll so far. Obviously a more prolonged, real usage session is needed as I haven't been doing much other than messing with synths but it looks promising. Time will tell...
mute

Post by mute »

never seen this, but looking into it.. it's really something you run into as a dev...since we got all them random ass runtimes and builds. because shit changes..

running regserv32 to re-register ucrtbase would've also likely fixed it
IXix

Post by IXix »

FWIW, although I hadn't seen a ucrtbase.dll exception for a while, I was still getting random sudden crashes when debugging. No exception or anything, just gone. I'd disabled some exception messages ages ago but couldn't remember which or how, so I went poking about in the options and VS told me that it wasn't registered as the main thing for something or other and suggested I do a repair install. So I did, and since then I haven't had any crashes, fingers crossed, touch wood etc. :D
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

kind of a mixed bag for me, i had one completely random crash in a few weeks when just letting buzz sit there... but overall it does seem more stable now...

also these messages are back
Exception thrown at 0x767EDF72 in buzz.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: EEMessageException at memory location 0x0019F03C.
Exception thrown at 0x767EDF72 in buzz.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: [rethrow] at memory location 0x00000000.

can you remember what you did in VS?
IXix

Post by IXix »

UNZ wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:33 pmcan you remember what you did in VS?
No, sorry. It just suggested I should do a repair install to fix some registry problem or other, so I did and it seems to have sorted out my problems.