32 Bit or 64 Bit Buzz for a specific set up

Grids

32 Bit or 64 Bit Buzz for a specific set up

Post by Grids »

Hi,

I am seeking help as I have significant ongoing issues with Buzz on my new laptop.

I have been using Buzz since 2003 and have loved it but I am actually close to giving up on my new laptop. I have not used Buzz live since years ago but Buzz has been my DAW of choice for making glitchy IDM beats and dreamy synth pads.

I have a minimal setup in regards to buzz machines. I use the basic setup plus Unwieldy Tracker 3, MixIO, Fswitch, Funkyverb, Firesledge EQ, Polac, Tunaman a couple of Peer Machines and that's it. I don't use any buzz internal synths.

However I use LOTS of VSTs.

I use a lot of old 32Bit VSTis (old Destroy FX plugins, Darkware, Chimera, Scrubby, Buffer Override, Cyclotron...) as well as a bunch of 64bit VST2 AND VST3 plugins. I also use 64Bit VSTis with large sample libraries, e.g. LABS and BBC orchestra. I need all of these to work in the same project.

Which set up do you think will work in the most stable way?

1. Buzz 32 Bit
2. Buzz 64 Bit
3. Ditch Buzz and just use Reaper with Hackey Tracker

Any other recommendations for Polac etc.

I have 64Bit, 16Gig RAM, i7, Windows 11, Dell laptop, IrisX graphics, 1TB SSD.

I have been using 32 bit Buzz and it has started to become unusable when I try to use LABS or BBC.

Please give advice for the most stable, usable setup

Please help?
IXix

Re: 32 Bit or 64 Bit Buzz for a specific set up

Post by IXix »

I reached the conclusion that it was best not to mix 32 and 64. I have separate 32 and 64 setups for Buzz and Reaper and all of my VSTs where both are available. Anything new that I do is entirely 64 now but I maintain the 32 so I can still load older projects. If a plugin doesn't have a 64 version I just stop using it.

If you have to mix them up, decide which type you use most and go with that. I'd go all 64 though, I think it's inevitable that you'll need to eventually.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

My personal decision would be stick with the 32 bit build. That way:
- Supports all the built in native Buzz machines with no bridging
- Supports all your old 32 bit VSTs with no bridging
- Seamlessly (in my opinion) bridges the 64 bit VSTs

Obviously there's the whole JUCE GUI funkiness at the moment, but IIRC that's present in both the 32bit and 64 builds

I've tested Buzz (32bit) with huuuuuggeee Falcon & Kontakt libraries running the 64bit version on each and all was well when hitting the 4gb process limit: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1751&p=13666#p13666
Grids

Post by Grids »

Thank you for the reflections.

I have actually moved across to Buzz 64. I am having slightly less problems...but still pretty problematic.

I actually think I might need to change my workflow. I am planning to build beats using utracker in buzz and render these but ultimately use Reaper for synths and arranging.

I just can't get Buzz anywhere near stable enough or functional enough anymore. Some plugins aren't useable when I reopen a file (it is impossible to re-access the GUI to change sounds).