Spam and the shiny new forum

mantratronic

Spam and the shiny new forum

Post by mantratronic »

So we have had our first two spammers already, which isnt all that surprising given the current state of the net. But now there is a new way of reporting this or any other problem users notice on the board, a ! in the bottom right of the post. If you press that you can alert the mods to the problem, and we should be able to deal with it fairly quickly.
Shytan

Re: Spam and the shiny new forum

Post by Shytan »

Great! Thanks.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Admins/Mods should maybe switch to the reCaptcha captcha system (Admin CP -> General -> Spambot Countermeasures -> Available plugins). I've had my forum running for nearly half a year now and not a single spambot has ever got through registration - let alone posted anything ....
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

It uses reCaptcha now.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

It's tempting to set up a test just to see if they are bots or real humans.
mute

Post by mute »

it's software baby-sitted by a human 99.9% of the time. theres no reason to even give it a second thought.

http://youtu.be/CbXu5_boENI

if you search enough, you'll find traded lists for that software (not mentioning its name on purpose/crawlers) on forums where "professional s/e\o"'ers hang out. bc.com is in many of the lists you can find freely (re: the junk ones that are so popular & abused/blocked that the 'noobs' can get them). i posted alot of information about this on the old site for anyone that was curious at the time.
usr

Post by usr »

Thank you mute, now i feel dirty from watching a screencast :shock:
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Holy macaroni! That's pretty damn intense - and quite interesting to see in action.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

mcbpete wrote:Admins/Mods should maybe switch to the reCaptcha captcha system (Admin CP -> General -> Spambot Countermeasures -> Available plugins). I've had my forum running for nearly half a year now and not a single spambot has ever got through registration - let alone posted anything ....
Talk about tempting fate - the very next day after posting this I got a bloody spam bot posting on my board :roll:
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

mcbpete wrote:Talk about tempting fate - the very next day after posting this I got a bloody spam bot posting on my board :roll:
You shouldn't have jinxed it! ;)
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

It looks like bots have got round solving reCaptcha now: there's another large forum I frequent (>6000 users) whose admins are far more tech savvy than I and yet they too are having issues from multiple spam accounts being created over the last few days (they too use reCaptcha). Of course there's human spam 'bots' (they get paid pennies to manually create an account) that no captcha system can protect against but it's those automated ones that are just so damned frustrating to protect against :evil:
4516N41

Post by 4516N41 »

but it's those automated ones that are just so damned frustrating to protect against
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=183 2 days ago "Are you fucking kidding me!"
4516N41

Post by 4516N41 »

@ mcbpete
Yeah I forgot ;)

+ Fuck spambots!
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Check out Comcast's fancy new Captcha system - https://login.comcast.net/myaccount/create-uid (near the bottom of the page - requires Flash though so not very accessible ....)