SGrid1 having issues with copy/paste and templates? *solved*

Dean

gear.xml Multithreading="False" does it really work? PART 2

Post by Dean »

So I started a topic with the title "gear.xml Multithreading="False" does it really work?"
and some forum folks appear to try to help me, after a while mute (mod) complains about my topic title,
which is strange because that was a valid question, but I agree to change it (which doesn't matter because mute will decide the title at last anyway).
The topic ends with mute writing his own "solution" to his rewritten question adding "Sorting a problem correctly takes work, not guessing."
The topic is locked and the title again gets changed with the added "SOLVED".
And ironically the topic title "Gear.xml Settings for old machines" is made a "sticky" in this forum section.
Way to make a point.
It's ironic because according to my experience gear.xml doesn't do anything in regard to fixing the multithread problems of sample grid 1,
which I pointed out in the locked topic originally.

I was at first really thankful of mute's contribution to the topic, because he took a lot of time to try to help me out there,
but an original problem is not answered by changing the question, now is it?
What I really wanted to know was why a line of code in gear.xml doesn't seem to make any difference, and when the topic
was locked, it had not yet been answered. Somehow it was just assumed the problem was all mine, and gear.xml is working.
Because the topic was locked, the discussion could not continue.

Let's take things from begining. The problem which existed to begin with was that I had noticed that adding
a line of code (<Machine Name="BTDSys SampleGrid*" Multithreading="False"/>) in gear.xml doesn't
make any difference whatsover to solving the problems I had related to multi-threading.
I use older builds sometimes, and I was wondering why this line of code in gear.xml doesn't make a difference
(this code to disable multi-threading has been around since build 1085, and I don't use any build older than 1349).
I did however, along the line, notice that mute is right that the latest build wasn't suffering from sample gear 1 multi threadin' problems like the old build.
Though he is wrong to assume gear.xml is working to disable these problems.
Since both latest build and old build are using the same gear.xml, I thought could the solution lie somewhere else?

Yes it did.
The solution lies in gear_defaults.xml
I don't know if my pc is crazy, but if I take the line of code
<Machine Name="BTDSys SampleGrid*" Multithreading="False"/>
from gear_defaults.xml and paste it inside gear.xml. It does nothing.
Not a single thing (in other words, I get the sample grid 1 problem).
If I take the line of code from gear.xml and place it in gear_defaults.xml it DOES make the difference.
It's not only true for the latest build, but also all builds before it which I tested.
I'm sure someone will say "don't edit gear_deafults.xml!!" and they are right, using the latest build you don't need to
add the line of code "<Machine Name="BTDSys SampleGrid*" Multithreading="False"/>" to gear_defaults.xml because it's
already in gear_defaults.xml. But then, why are you suggesting people should add it to gear.xml? (which people are being told from a topic
titled "Gear.xml Settings for old machines" which is now even made a sticky).
If you remove said line of code from gear.xml nothing happens, from my experience which I was trying to point out in original topic,
the line of code in gear.xml doesn't work.
But try removing the line of code from gear_defaults and you will, unless my buzz is acting in a unique and fascinating way,
see that suddenly multithreadin' sample grid 1 doesn't work.

You can easily test this by keeping your "solution" gear.xml intact but removing the line of code "<Machine Name="BTDSys SampleGrid*" Multithreading="False"/>"
from gear_defaults.xml. Then start buzz, insert two samplegrid - switch 8 machines into machines view and make them play some samples.
It will sound completely broken if you are running on "multithread" setting (will sound ok on single thread).

To sum things up, I am seriously wondering if something is wrong with my pc since everyone seem to be happy
with their gear.xml but gear.xml doesn't do a damn thing here.
If the '<Machine Name="BTDSys SampleGrid*" Multithreading="False"/>' is not in gear_defaults.xml the problem exists,
doesn't matter if it is in gear.xml or not.
If the '<Machine Name="BTDSys SampleGrid*" Multithreading="False"/>' is in gear_defaults.xml - the problem is solved.

Maybe it's true sorting a problem correctly takes work, not guessing.
I hope mods can treat normal users with respect on this board, not like fools.

Now, can someone please confirm wether I'm a lunatic or a buzz user with a broken gear.xml like everyone else.
(I understand we need to edit gear.xml cause it's not overwritten by buzz installation, but I am merely trying to make the point
that writing <Machine Name="BTDSys SampleGrid*" Multithreading="False"/> in gear.xml won't do anything).
mute

Re: gear.xml Multithreading="False" does it really work? PAR

Post by mute »

Dean wrote:I am merely trying to make the point
that writing <Machine Name="BTDSys SampleGrid*" Multithreading="False"/> in gear.xml won't do anything).
You are 100% completely, without question wrong.

It appears you have busted your Buzz setup somewhere. Probably have a tag messed up somewhere in one of the gear xml files.

And that's correct, you shouldn't touch gear_defaults.xml to avoid problems like this.
Dean

Post by Dean »

mute wrote:
Dean wrote:I am merely trying to make the point
You are 100% completely, without question wrong.

It appears you have busted your Buzz setup somewhere. Probably have a tag messed up somewhere in one of the gear xml files.

And that's correct, you should touch gear_defaults.xml. Why? To avoid problems like this.
Thank you for your reply...!
But I'm sure you can understand the problem was not caused by gear_defaults,
as I've never touched it before and the last few days done a ton of re-installing of builds to test different things
(which means it wouldn't have mattered if it was touched in the past, as it's overwritten by installation).
if my gear.xml is broken, well that's what I've been trying to investigate all along, isn't it?
How do I actually fix this bust?
Could you (or anyone) share their gear.xml so that I could compare it to mine?
mute

Post by mute »

delete it and reinstall
Dean

Post by Dean »

mute wrote:delete it and reinstall
gear.xml is not included with install I think (as I mentioned before), anyway I tried deleting gear.xml and re-installing latest build,
it does not come with any gear.xml, and I can not locate such a file on my hard-drive anymore (using file search)...
what to do?
mute

Post by mute »

copy your new-from-install gear_defaults.xml and rename it gear.xml, then open gear.xml and put

<Machine Name="BTDSys SampleGrid*" Multithreading="False"/> right after

<Machine Name="Rymix*" Multithreading="False"/>

so that it looks like

<Machine Name="Rymix*" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="BTDSys SampleGrid*" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="Rout*" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="Geonik*" Multithreading="False"/>
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

Dean wrote: I hope mods can treat normal users with respect on this board, not like fools.
Yes, normal users are treated with respect. Fools / Trolls are treated like fools.
Sorry but sometimes its hard to know who's just here to troll or if they are honestly stuck with something and already tried the obvious.
Time is limited, so please stay brief in your posts, for example i find it hard to read trough your long posts...
Dean

Post by Dean »

I now have a working gear.xml! Thanks! I have no idea why my previous gear.xml was not working,
and since it was deleted I can not find out, but I guess there must have been some tag which didn't belong there.
Last edited by mute on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: y/w