wavetable editor question

szaszhareen

wavetable editor question

Post by szaszhareen »

i remember being able to use the editor tab in the wavetable to edit samples. i have a .wav file selected, and when i click the editor tab, there is just a straight line there. no wave to work with. is this disabled in the latest build?
UNZ

Re: wavetable editor question

Post by UNZ »

zoom out (mousewheel)
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

just tried zooming in and out with the mousewheel. no change in the waveform, its still a straight line. thanks tho
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

well, it definitively works

click on another slot and then on the slot with the wav again maybe. it should show up in the editor.
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

How do I zoom in/out if I don't have mousewheel?

Also, I wish there was key commands like Q, W, E, etc (or more suiting) for highlighting/move between the wavetable, browser and editor windows (and remembering the cursor location when switching back and fourth). Is there key commands atm that I don't know of?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

Evelon wrote:How do I zoom in/out if I don't have mousewheel?
arrow up down
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

UNZ wrote:well, it definitively works

click on another slot and then on the slot with the wav again maybe. it should show up in the editor.
still no dice.

also i've got to agree with evelon, i would love to be able to maneuver throughout the wavetable view without the mouse someday.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

it depends on your installed buzz build and theme.
with the dark theme i am also not able to zoom since build 1453.
works with default theme though.
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

UNZ wrote: arrow up down
strobotone wrote:it depends on your installed buzz build and theme.
Doh! That explains it. Doesn't work on latest (1460) and extended dark theme. Overall that theme just slows things down for me. I guess it's back to default theme (where zoom in/out work).
I still long for key commands to switch/highlight the different windows.
mute

Post by mute »

the first time i open the editor, i always have to select a different file in the wavetable and then reselect the one I want before any of the wav data shows up in the editor.. after that point it's fine and i can use my mouse keys. kind of silly to wish you could go hands free on the wavetable/editor completely though and pin it on this... of course a mouse will be required with an editor
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

mute wrote:the first time i open the editor, i always have to select a different file in the wavetable and then reselect the one I want
yeah, this is a bug
Mozart von Robot

Post by Mozart von Robot »

I have a different wavetable editor question:
"Play selection" - is it possible? I tried hitting the space bar, which obviously didn't do a thing. I tried right-clicking, no play in the menu. Does this function simply not exist? If that's the case, I really hope it will be implemented, 'cause it would be very practical to be able to actually listen to select parts before truncating, as that would eliminate having to truncate blindly (er, deafly?) and hope for the best.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

Mozart von Robot wrote:I have a different wavetable editor question:
"Play selection" - is it possible? I tried hitting the space bar, which obviously didn't do a thing. I tried right-clicking, no play in the menu. Does this function simply not exist? If that's the case, I really hope it will be implemented, 'cause it would be very practical to be able to actually listen to select parts before truncating, as that would eliminate having to truncate blindly (er, deafly?) and hope for the best.

got it working by going back to the default theme. thanks guys.

to answer mozarts question, there isnt a play selection feature, however you can workaround this by changing the loop setting to "loop" instead of "no loop" in the parameter tab of the wave editor. then use something to play the sample such as qsamo. either trigger your sample in a pattern or hit a key on your midi controller to hear it. go back to the editor tab, make your selection, right click and hit "set loop". now you should hear just your selection and you can adjust it accordingly until it works for you. at this point you dont even really need to truncate the sample as whatever machine triggers it will only use the selection. for heavy editing its probably best to use something thats made for that sort of thing like audacity.
deusdiabolus

Post by deusdiabolus »

strobotone wrote:it depends on your installed buzz build and theme.
You know, I was wondering about that myself...that explains a bit. Unfortunately, that probably also means I'll have to do all my editing in Audacity if I'm doing late night sessions. And pretty much all my sessions are late night. :lol:
Mozart von Robot

Post by Mozart von Robot »

szaszhareen wrote:to answer mozarts question, there isnt a play selection feature, however you can workaround this by changing the loop setting to "loop" instead of "no loop" in the parameter tab of the wave editor. then use something to play the sample such as qsamo. either trigger your sample in a pattern or hit a key on your midi controller to hear it. go back to the editor tab, make your selection, right click and hit "set loop". now you should hear just your selection and you can adjust it accordingly until it works for you.
That still plays the beginning of the sample before reaching the loop. Which, in the case of trying to find the right part of a long sample, is a lot less practical than if one could simply play the selection at the push of a button.
And I know about using other programs to edit already. That's what I've been doing, and that's what I'm hoping to get away from. Seems to me that if there was a button (or, better yet, single-key keyboard command - the space key for example) to play selection, one could bring a 3-minute chunk of sound into Buzz and pick out samples there without any guess work and without having to listen to two minutes of sound before getting to hear what the one-second selection sounds like. The more one can do in Buzz and the less one has to do outside of Buzz (and the fewer steps one has to take), the better, in my opinion. Since I work with a lot of recorded and heavily edited sound, I often find myself having to do a lot of dancing back and forth between Buzz and audio recording/editing software. So I kind of dream of the day when the wavetable editor in Buzz has a "play selection" button and a "record" button. And responds to ctrl+x, ctrl+c and ctrl+v commands, as it would make the process a lot faster and more accurate. But I'm not a programmer, so I understand if it's not going to happen anytime soon (I'm sure Oskari has plenty of other things to focus on, and I'm extremely grateful for every single update), I'm just saying it'd be nice if some day it did, since these are kind of basic functions and would make Buzz that much more powerful a stand-alone creative tool. I'm just fantasizing here.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

Mozart von Robot wrote: That still plays the beginning of the sample before reaching the loop. Which, in the case of trying to find the right part of a long sample, is a lot less practical than if one could simply play the selection at the push of a button.
And I know about using other programs to edit already. That's what I've been doing, and that's what I'm hoping to get away from. Seems to me that if there was a button (or, better yet, single-key keyboard command - the space key for example) to play selection, one could bring a 3-minute chunk of sound into Buzz and pick out samples there without any guess work and without having to listen to two minutes of sound before getting to hear what the one-second selection sounds like. The more one can do in Buzz and the less one has to do outside of Buzz (and the fewer steps one has to take), the better, in my opinion. Since I work with a lot of recorded and heavily edited sound, I often find myself having to do a lot of dancing back and forth between Buzz and audio recording/editing software. So I kind of dream of the day when the wavetable editor in Buzz has a "play selection" button and a "record" button. And responds to ctrl+x, ctrl+c and ctrl+v commands, as it would make the process a lot faster and more accurate. But I'm not a programmer, so I understand if it's not going to happen anytime soon (I'm sure Oskari has plenty of other things to focus on, and I'm extremely grateful for every single update), I'm just saying it'd be nice if some day it did, since these are kind of basic functions and would make Buzz that much more powerful a stand-alone creative tool. I'm just fantasizing here.
i feel your pain. i'm still struggling to get a good workflow down with buzz for quite a few reasons, notably that i have to use other programs for certain things and i probably spend more time trying to solve weird issues and learning to use the different machines than i do actually finishing any music. :oops: thats probably more due to my inexperience with music software in general than any shortcomings in the program. :oops: its odd though that the workaround didnt work for you. i definitely agree that play selection would be a killer feature.