Drums kits : good or bad way ?

Nerva

Drums kits : good or bad way ?

Post by Nerva »

Hello.

On the site of Buzz, I saw that it was possible to integrate drums kits (*.drumkit) but I don't know how to make. Did the sound quality is good ? Buzz crashes often with it ? At present, I use the VSTi plugin "DrumTable" which allows to create personalized drums kits sets but I find its rather binding use.

Thanks.
Mozart von Robot

Re: Drums kits : good or bad way ?

Post by Mozart von Robot »

.drumkit files were used with PSI Drum II. It hasn't been stable for years. Don't use it. It was a great machine with some excellent retrigger functions and stuff, but it causes Buzz to crash, so don't bother with it, you'll only get frustrated.
thOke

Post by thOke »

.drumkits can also be loaded into BTDSys SampleGrid 2 , as well as old battery 1 kits ...
works pretty good here.
Nerva

Post by Nerva »

I succeeded in using PSI Drum II without crash but how to connect a drumkit file above ?
IXix

Post by IXix »

Use BTDSys SampleGrid 2 BETA (IX mix). Right-click the machine to load drumkit files.
Nerva

Post by Nerva »

Ok, Sample Grid and PSI Drums are connected at drumkits, but PSI Drums seems more basic, well, I will triyng use Sample Grid.

After select a drumkit, go right button, /drumkit/drumkit information for testing the samples ; it's ok. I'm select the kick and affect to 01. In the pattern editor, I put 01 in "First wave" and "Wave N°" but no sound. And no tutorial for beginners...
Nerva

Post by Nerva »

Ok, that's works... ;)
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

You can also use this utility :
http://www.buzzmachines.com/utils/Dkm3_only-exe.zip
It lets you open drumkits files and extract one or all wav samples included in the drumkit.
With it you can also create your own drumkit file.

Also, there is a french buzz forum here :
Frenchybuzzers
:D
Mozart von Robot

There's a Sample Grid 2? :shock: Must test immediately!
IXix

Post by IXix »

Mozart von Robot wrote:There's a Sample Grid 2? :shock: Must test immediately!
:lol: It's ancient!
Mozart von Robot

IXix wrote:
Well, forgive me for not keeping up to date on machine releases. :roll: Any other cool machines I might have missed?
Dr3Tri

Post by Dr3Tri »

Mozart von Robot wrote:
IXix wrote:
Well, forgive me for not keeping up to date on machine releases. :roll: Any other cool machines I might have missed?
How could anyone know? :P

Wait.. i'll use my telepathic capabilities... mm.... i'm getting... 4.. fm.... 4fm2f! You missed Madbrain's 4fm2f.
And "Intoxicat Dubdelay BETA1". Correct?

Couple machines that i have used heavily on my trax.
Mozart von Robot

Dr3Tri wrote:How could anyone know? :P

Wait.. i'll use my telepathic capabilities... mm.... i'm getting... 4.. fm.... 4fm2f! You missed Madbrain's 4fm2f.
And "Intoxicat Dubdelay BETA1". Correct?

Couple machines that i have used heavily on my trax.
You are correct, sir. I had no idea those machines existed. And 4fm2f sounds pretty nifty. Well done.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Mozart von Robot wrote:Well, forgive me for not keeping up to date on machine releases. :roll: Any other cool machines I might have missed?
Well to be fair, it was never actually released as such. Gotta keep your ear to the ground :). 4fm2f however was released at buzzmachines.com, which is about as official as it gets.
deusdiabolus

Post by deusdiabolus »

Is there any other method to unpack .drumkit files besides that program listed above? I tried running it but it doesn't load.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

deusdiabolus wrote:Is there any other method to unpack .drumkit files besides that program listed above? I tried running it but it doesn't load.
hmmm, it works here (Win7). I have on my HD a setup.exe to install DKM. It seems that what you get at BM is just the exe of DKM once installed. Maybe you should try to install it ?
I attached the file
Attachments
dkm3_binary-0.2-retry.zip
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 256 times
pbhs

Post by pbhs »

Be careful with DrumKit Manager, some years ago i have experienced some problem when extracting samples from drumkit with DrumKit Manager.
Many times Drumkit Manager corrupts the extracted sample at the start (something as the first 4..10 samples).
This thing is audible as a "click" noise at the begin of the exported sample.
You can try to import this extracted sample in a Wave editor (Audacity, Wavosaur, Soundforge, etc..) and you can see a strange waveform at start, and many times also clipped.

I have solved the problem writing a simple script in Office Excel (using VBA for Excel) that open a DrumKit file and exports all the samples.
For decoding the structure of drumkit file i have put an eye at the source file of DrumKit Manager that i have found somewhere on the net. (this thing is about 7..8 years ago ... and my memory is not an Hard Disk !!!).

Ciao.
Paolo BHS.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Hi Paolo,
I have checked the wav files extracted from drumkits with DKM III in audacity and there is no problem. I think it was a problem that was fixed with a newer version of DKM (the one I uploaded here is the latest version I think).
I began to extract all wavs from my drumkits collection (I have 70 drumkits). I realise that a lot of these drumkits are very, very good samples collection.

Zdravo

mag :)