Polac ASIO driver (still looking for nonexistent driver)

fetus ink

Polac ASIO driver (still looking for nonexistent driver)

Post by fetus ink »

I had posted this before in the old forum, but it never had a chance to be resolved. For whatever reason, if I switch my audio driver to Polac ASIO, its /still/ looking for my old hardware driver, which I uninstalled, and haven't used in ages. And so, I get this error message:

After closing, I cannot choose any other device from "config" menu. It wont even try to come up. Then, sometimes, but not all the time, if I close the error message and try to close buzz, it freezes up then crashes with "not responding" error.

I did mention that x64 Buzz does not have this issue, but for the meantime, I'm using x86 Buzz, and would like to figure out why it does this. (Even after reinstalling buzz to a completely new directory, fresh, and putting in the newest polac adapters)

[edit] I also want to add that I have also attempted deleting buzz from the registry in hopes it was a problem within that specific folder. This still had no effect.
mantratronic

Re: Polac ASIO driver (still looking for nonexistent driver)

Post by mantratronic »

fetus ink wrote:I had posted this before in the old forum, but it never had a chance to be resolved. For whatever reason, if I switch my audio driver to Polac ASIO, its /still/ looking for my old hardware driver, which I uninstalled, and haven't used in ages. And so, I get this error message:

After closing, I cannot choose any other device from "config" menu. It wont even try to come up. Then, sometimes, but not all the time, if I close the error message and try to close buzz, it freezes up then crashes with "not responding" error.

I did mention that x64 Buzz does not have this issue, but for the meantime, I'm using x86 Buzz, and would like to figure out why it does this. (Even after reinstalling buzz to a completely new directory, fresh, and putting in the newest polac adapters)

[edit] I also want to add that I have also attempted deleting buzz from the registry in hopes it was a problem within that specific folder. This still had no effect.
this sounds like a problem that came up recently, have you gotten polac's registry too? http://buzzwiki.robotplanet.dk/index.php/Polac_ASIO
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

Does your driver gets displayed in any other application/DAW?

You could try to remove all references related to that FW-1082 driver from the registry.
Also if you know the exact name of your actual driver try entering it manually in the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jeskola\Buzz\Polac ASIO\DriverName

If you need some more description let me know.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

Neither one of these tips seemed to have helped my case. It still "can't find Fw1082" when I launch Polac Asio. Everytime I changed my DriverName registry value, I'd go back it was set back to ASIO FW-1082. I just don't get it. It doesn't exist. That .exe you sent also does nothing that I'm aware of. It looks like it tries to open but then it just closes real fast. Maybe its not Win 7 x64 compatible?
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

it works on win7/xp, 32/64 bit as far as i can tell.

did you try using a new user profile?

did you try some registry cleaner like ccleaner or spybot s&d?
if nothing helps then your registry seems to be wrecked.
mute

Post by mute »

does that card still show up in your device manager as disabled? if so delete it
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

strobotone wrote:did you try using a new user profile? did you try some registry cleaner like ccleaner or spybot s&d?
if nothing helps then your registry seems to be wrecked.
I made a new user profile and tried there with no luck. I also ran CCleaner to no avail.

mute wrote:does that card still show up in your device manager as disabled? if so delete it
Checked the device manager and there are no signs of the FW-1082.

... Im completely out of ideas. :(
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

then there must be some entry the registry containing "FW-1082" which you can find and remove?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

maybe you can find a leftover dll in system32 (*asio*.dll something like that or which resembles the name of your card...), renaming that (to dll.old or something) should fix it i hope. but carefull when messing with the system dirs..if something goes wrong there's still savemode but yeah...

and i guess it should be somewhere in the registry too, but if you can't find that, look for leftover dll. lots of uninstallers actually don't do anything.
fetus ink

Post by fetus ink »

Alrighty, I finally - after about an hour - was able to delete all of the extra "fw1082", "fw-1082", and "tascam" entries from my registry. I wasn't aware how many actually ended up scattered all about. So thanks for the help on that.

So, Polac Asio finally works. To an extent. I (think I) remember having ability to choose my Realtek device as an output from polac asio, but this no longer seems true. Or I could be completely mistaken. I just can't remember what I was using before WASAPI came around. Polac Asio only finds Asio4All, and then a master out that says "Not Connected 1+2" ... so there's no sound whatsoever.

I initially wanted to open Polac Asio up to use ReaRoute, but its not seeing it even though I had installed it.
ags

Post by ags »

It ought to work with Rearoute. Can any other apps see it besides reaper? I'd try to re-install rearoute if I were you.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

fetus ink wrote:I (think I) remember having ability to choose my Realtek device as an output from polac asio, but this no longer seems true.
Yeah, onboard Realtek cards are definitely not ASIO compatible so that's why you can't directly output to that device through Polac ASIO. As you say the only way you can make it work is through ASIO4ALL (make sure you have the Realtek device enabled on the ASIO4ALL front end GUI)
Per Lichtman

Post by Per Lichtman »

strobotone wrote:Does your driver gets displayed in any other application/DAW?

You could try to remove all references related to that FW-1082 driver from the registry.
Also if you know the exact name of your actual driver try entering it manually in the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jeskola\Buzz\Polac ASIO\DriverName
For other people having the issue in the future, I'd suggest going further (after they close Buzz) to remove the entire entry for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jeskola\Buzz\Polac ASIO\

That would delete the additional Polac ASIO settings at the same time (like buffer size) and I find it a little simpler.

If you do that, it will load the first ASIO driver in alphabetical order when Buzz opens the next time.

If you have ASIO4ALL installed (http://www.asio4all.com/), that will usually show up at the top of the list (unless you have an interface from a company with a driver name that comes first, like "Akai").

This solution works well for people that only sometimes have an external device connected. With this method, you can repeatedly connect and disconnect the device without doing anything to mess with it in other applications (or having to deal with a lot of registry entries, etc.)