Ableton style Clip Launcher [WANT!]

rktic

Ableton style Clip Launcher [WANT!]

Post by rktic »

Hello,

while jamming around in Buzz, triggering patterns using the Keyboard this one jumped straight in my face. An Ableton fashioned Clip Launcher on top of the sequence editor would be great! Just made a quick mockup:

The idea is pretty simple:

The Clip Launcher is a layer on top of the sequence editor that represents all its patterns in above manner with the ability to launch clips via mouse, keyboard and (most importantly) midi.

Okay - you may wonder why?

It'd add much more live-playing possibilities to Buzz. Changing patterns in the current version works of course but changing between midi controllers and the keyboard, then - depending on the amount of patterns you've got - starting the right one at the right time is a hassle.

Clips would always be launched at the beginning of the next x bar(s) so you can fire stuff in advance and keep tweaking your controller without worrying much.

Obviously you could also record arrangements from the clip launcher by jamming with clips.

Everybody got it? Now who'd be up to code it? :)
sparschaeler

Re: Ableton style Clip Launcher [WANT!]

Post by sparschaeler »

this is a classical 'i want to use buzz but it should be like ableton'-thread. try livejumphack - it does pretty much what you're asking for, but not by launching individual patterns but jumping to places in bmx where the desired pattern combination is.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

tbh, i want this too, been toying the idea around since at least a year or two, even started working on some primitive pattern editor and seq to later evolve into this. It needs to be very well thought out tough and i still wonder about how to solve some things and a bit torn between doing this, improving mixio, working on the tracker or just make more music hehe...
rktic

Post by rktic »

sparschaeler wrote:this is a classical 'i want to use buzz but it should be like ableton'-thread. try livejumphack - it does pretty much what you're asking for, but not by launching individual patterns but jumping to places in bmx where the desired pattern combination is.
If i'd want it to be Ableton i'd use Ableton. That's not the point. And Livejumphack failed in a number of ways for me and others so it's not an option.

This is a functionality that simply works best for live jams. Simple as that.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

rktic wrote:
sparschaeler wrote:this is a classical 'i want to use buzz but it should be like ableton'-thread. try livejumphack - it does pretty much what you're asking for, but not by launching individual patterns but jumping to places in bmx where the desired pattern combination is.
If i'd want it to be Ableton i'd use Ableton. That's not the point. And Livejumphack failed in a number of ways for me and others so it's not an option.

This is a functionality that simply works best for live jams. Simple as that.
Until UNZ gets his priorities straight and codes a native clip player system :ugeek: you might look around for an abandonware VSTi called Phrazor - it can do Abletonish clip triggering (and a boatload more).
tinga

Post by tinga »

Peer machines can perform complex automations, here is a partial list of what you can do:
_ groove by track
_ multi tracks jump system
_ multi tempo (tempi)
For this, just add some sort of "virtual patterns".
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

It is a good idea and I would use such extension very often. But that are easy spoken words for a non-programmer like me. But may be just a conceptional idea: Could those in the sequencer aranged "patterns on demand" be send to a fixed one bar loop visible at the beginning of the sequencer? Ah, just a weird phantasy ...
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1200
Zephod wrote:What could also help is a REALLY well thought out concept + mockup + featurelist.

That way implementation can be sortof a home-run.

So far there have been very few actually well thought out suggestions put out there on the internet for free-time programmers to implement - If you don't feel like learning how to program, maybe you should take a stab at designing?
With some of the xaml wizards around the buzz-scene the entire interface can be prototyped in advance.. and then handed over to 1 or more programmers to be hooked up to actual functionality.

Get the ball rolling... you never know where it might end..
I applaud you for making a mockup of your idea - that looks really great! I'd love to see something like this as well - livejumphack has it's limitations.
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

rktic

Post by rktic »

I JUST WET MY PANTS!!!!!!

Now that's a hell of an unexpected x-mas present, Oskari :)

Thx a dozen!!

Are the clips triggerable via midi? :)
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

Not yet, it's mouse-only at the moment.
miniair

Post by miniair »

Well, this is awesome and unexpected. Can't wait to give it a spin. Especially since I'm about to start working on a new live set for next year. :D
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Oh this takes the cake. Thanks oskari, you just made my day!
cbasstn

Post by cbasstn »

wow, thanks a lot oskari!
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Oskari for president!
Another sleep stealing jewel with a cool and simple design.
Dankeschön!
peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

:o :shock: HAMMER! :P :mrgreen:
sleepzzz

Post by sleepzzz »

:!: :!: :!:
Wow! Thank you! I just spent some time playing a lot of old tracks and smiling to myself . It took me a moment to understand the bar parameter, but once I did I was having loads of fun! What a great update! The world is ending and I'm staying home and using Buzz!

Is there a way to solo tracks through Live?

Also, off topic, but what is ISequence listed in the update?
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

sleepzzz wrote:Also, off topic, but what is ISequence listed in the update?
Internal data structure, oskari was telling the dev's we can do this stuff too now :ugeek:
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

Sick.
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

Source code
Attachments
Live.zip
(5.93 KiB) Downloaded 360 times