Problems with long wav-samples and Matilde

Buzztler

Problems with long wav-samples and Matilde

Post by Buzztler »

Hi friends of buzz ... :D

I know I'm a bit outdated, 'cause I still run an overloaded buzz on Xp2 Sp2, but I recognized some things I do not so much appreciate and it would be interesting, if it is only my shitty setup or if it is a common problem ...
1) If I use a long wav-file (2minutes or so) in my tracks, loaded in Matilde (rc8 or 9) and the pattern reaches its end, the sound stops, but it seems the wav-file still is processed in the background and uses cpu? Is this possible somehow? As far as I remember it stopped processing completely in old buzz?
2) If I optimize my tracks for loudness I recognize clicks, which are caused by Matilde (imo), e.g. if I mute a Matilde-Tracker with a wav-file loaded with the mute option it makes some "youwling" sound like "jerk" or so, if I restart sound again, it makes this noise too. I remember there was a hint on the forum, which said setting the volume ramp to 5 would solve the problem. This worked in an older buzz built, but then the parameters for volume ramp etc. changed ... and since then I found no solution for this "youwling" sounds 'cause changing the volume ramp settings doesn't work anymore to fix it ...
Has someone the same problems or some :ugeek: a solution for this "problem(s)"

Thank you ... (btw I love Matilde-Tracker ... ) I work with ASIO4all and Polac's ASIO thingys
toothsoup

Re: Problems with long wav-samples and Matilde

Post by toothsoup »

Might be easier if you attach a .bmx so people can see which versions of machines you are using? What with all the different versions of things it's sometimes just a case of an old machine clashing.
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

@ toothsoup: thank you for reply and your suggestion ... you've been the only one to reply, so I thought, well must be my setup, 'cause no one else seems to have the mentioned problem(s) ...

so, finally, it has been a long night yesterday and I've managed to switch to latest Buzz (1472) and WinXP SP3 on a special partition ... I also managed to get almost everything of the newer stuff working in this setup (BTDSys3, Matide 3 and other stuff ;) like Polacs VST-loader and ASIO-plug Version October pvst_v1.1.10b26.zip) ... Still using Evelons Night Owl 2 theme ...
So, if my problem with Matilde is caused by older plugins or my setup, I will find out now ... furthermore I already found out that noisebursts are still possible (simply load for example Shytan's "Ganya Hooka" track ... but be warned, I'm not responsible for damaged ears or equipment) ... so please Oskari, if somehow possible, built in the "burstprotection" feature in the NEWBUZZ one day, as far as I've seen the great "Lord of the Overloader" his majesty ;) Cyanphase has published the some code for this feature in this forum ...
mute

Post by mute »

Noisebursts happen in all audio plugin hosts (a quick google search will open ppls eyes to this).. My experience, the only ones i have had over the past couple years in Buzz (maybe 3?) have been due to VSTs. Buzz will disable machines and mark them as "crashed" when they behave erratically, but of course nothings perfect. That thread about noisebursts was old and (mostly) uninformed.. it shouldn't have been bumped. At least it had a side benefit where Cyan came along with code. Anyways... going off topic.. my point is I wouldn't worry about it.

But yeah. Update to the new Buzz releases man. It's a much better world.

As for what might appear to be "stuck" cpu usage on a .wav playback with Mtrk.. first, the .wav playback will mostly be a memory thing, the audio playback itself is trivial cpu wise (this day and age). What you are possibly seeing is an effect in your chain that doesn't stop processing when there is no audio currently going through it. Sometimes thats needed/intentional, sometimes thats a badly coded/old/or buggy machine. You could try putting a Cheapo Fixit at the end of the chain and see if it stops the cpu usage.. if that's the case then you know its an effect issue.

Also, if you have a newer PC and are on XP for other percieved reasons.. Win7 audio > XP audio, and Buzz is developed with modern APIs/technology, so it wouldn't be a bad opportunity to take the jump forward. Hell, with all the praise Win8 has been getting from A/V companies and people, I'm starting to think about Win8 before I would normally think about moving foward..
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Buzztler wrote:1) If I use a long wav-file (2minutes or so) in my tracks, loaded in Matilde (rc8 or 9) and the pattern reaches its end, the sound stops, but it seems the wav-file still is processed in the background and uses cpu? Is this possible somehow? As far as I remember it stopped processing completely in old buzz?
I usually use the Morex WordIn plugin, but this crashes if there are more than one per song. I usually only used this for doing remixes so I could hear my version against the original, or for importing vocals for a remix.