Sticky vs. One-off tracker commands

Joachip

Sticky vs. One-off tracker commands

Post by Joachip »

Some effects in e.g. Matilde tracker are permanent. If you give it a pan-left command "80 40" everything on that track will be played to the left. I've just decided to call this a "sticky" command. If you issue a note-delay command like "ED 03" or a randomize pitch "16 20", it only has effect on the note it's placed on. I'll call this a "one-off" command. There's no real system in which commands are sticky and which are one-off. Matilde is just based on ProTracker, which was written in very different times than these.

:idea: Now, here's a little thought experiment I'd like to share as inspiration: What if you were to write a new machine - e.g. something that resembles Matilde - but decided to make two version of all possible commands: A one-off and a sticky one! To turn off the effect of a sticky command, simply issue the command with a value that disables its effect. For random pitch, that would be setting the randomize amount to 0 this way: "16 00".

In that case, I suggest some sort of system, so that it won't be twice as difficult to remember, even though there are now twice as many commands: One-off commands could be even numbers, and sticky commands could be odd. Example, slightly based on Matilde:

08 30 = sample offset (current sample)
09 30 = sample offset on any sample being played on this track and forward
10 80 = probability 50% (this note only)
11 80 = probability 50% (for anything on this track)
EC 03 = note delay on current note
ED 03 = note delay on current and all following notes

I realize this would require the machine to be able to handle a lot of commands being active at once.

So what do you think? Crazy? Cool? Useless? If you like this idea, please steal it! I insist.
synthphase

Re: Sticky vs. One-off tracker commands

Post by synthphase »

Yeah I'll throw my hat into this ring.

It's been a confusing issue on many machines, figuring out which commands are "sticky" and which are "one-off" (I like this naming convention). A sampler that explicitly states these differences would be swell, but I'd even be happy just knowing for a certainty which commands stick or not on existing machines. :mrgreen: It would facilitate programming if I knew that some old, odd bass machine had to have a note length command on every note.. Come to think of it, without checking, I don't even know if Polac VST's track volume is sticky or not and I use that all the time.

For your idea, I think eyes scan better for colors then for odd/even numbers, so if there's a way to add colors to PXP... Someone could just extend Utrak or Matilde with sticky or one-off versions of existing commands and they would already be distinguishable. DO WANT.
wauterboi

Post by wauterboi »

It would be better to just add a column next to the corresponding effect to make it sticky or not. 1 for sticky, 0 for one-off.
vacuum

Post by vacuum »

Sounds like a good idea for a new peer machine. A sort of pattern xp type of peer.

When using IX Split it makes the velocity of MadBrain's D500 sticky, which is more comfortable imo.

Sometimes it helps to make 2 sequencer tracks for the same machine, to have the command continuous in a repeating pattern, while the effect is only there when there's a command value.
(Like putting command 0A for matilde in one sequencer track (repeating the pattern), and the command value in the other track, so you need only give the value for how much the volume fades.)