Re: Pattern XP mod

Post by chahur »

Updated :
- Chord expert Dialog display enlarged
- Shift values buttons and combo
- Shift notes according to tonality
- Mirror notes according to tonality

About Shift and Mirror notes :
Notes in tonality stay "in" when shifted or mirrored.
Notes out of tonality stay "out" when shifted or mirrored.
But some notes can't be mirrored successfully.
For example, if you are in C major and you use a C# (out of tonality), it can't be mirrored, because D is mirrored to B and there is no B# :-)
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Hey chahur,
so far I used your modded Jeskola Pattern XP which replaces the original one by oskari. Now I tried using original Jeskola Pattern XP and your Jeskola Pattern XP mod side by side. I placed the gear.xml as you told and starting Buzz, it works. I can select between original Jeskola Pattern XP and Jeskola Pattern XP mod.
But when I load a song, that was saved in your modded Jeskoal Pattern XP mode (that one, that replaced the original oskari one) and I select a pattern, the editor selection box shows "Jeskola Pattern XP" and – of course – the pattern editor that shows up, is the original one by oskari. When I try to switch to "Jeskola Pattern XP mod" Buzz crashes. :(
chahur

Post by chahur »

Klangkulisse wrote:Hey chahur,
so far I used your modded Jeskola Pattern XP which replaces the original one by oskari. Now I tried using original Jeskola Pattern XP and your Jeskola Pattern XP mod side by side. I placed the gear.xml as you told and starting Buzz, it works. I can select between original Jeskola Pattern XP and Jeskola Pattern XP mod.
But when I load a song, that was saved in your modded Jeskoal Pattern XP mode (that one, that replaced the original oskari one) and I select a pattern, the editor selection box shows "Jeskola Pattern XP" and – of course – the pattern editor that shows up, is the original one by oskari. When I try to switch to "Jeskola Pattern XP mod" Buzz crashes. :(
Yes I know, I had no time yet to investigate the problem. I'll try to have a look at that soon.
chahur

Post by chahur »

Klangkulisse wrote:Hey chahur,
Try new version, it should work better.
BUT, when switching from PatternXP to PatternXP mod (or <built-in> by the way), the data saved in the pattern don't show up in the second pattern editor. I don't know how to solve the problem for the moment.
If Oskari could point me in the right direction ... that could help. :-)
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Thank you chahur,
it works faultless now. And yes, the data is not transferred from Oskaris Pattern XP to your Pattern XP mod.
Because I have to many projects saved under your Pattern XP which replaces the one from Oskari, I will stick to the replacement method for now.
But anyway, thanks again for the quick solution. :)

May be a little confusion, but as you instructed on your website:

• To use the new one, you need to declare it in the file "Gear\gear.xml" (create the file if it doesn't exist):

But isn't the name of that file "gear_defaults.xml" ?
This is how it is named in my buzz installation. Not such a big thing I guess, but I was a little confused.
I did that declaration then in the "gear_defaults.xml" file and it works.
Or can it be done in both ways?
chahur

Post by chahur »

Klangkulisse wrote: May be a little confusion, but as you instructed on your website:

• To use the new one, you need to declare it in the file "Gear\gear.xml" (create the file if it doesn't exist):

But isn't the name of that file "gear_defaults.xml" ?
This is how it is named in my buzz installation. Not such a big thing I guess, but I was a little confused.
I did that declaration then in the "gear_defaults.xml" file and it works.
Or can it be done in both ways?
You should not modify gear_default.xml because it will be replace by the next update of buzz.
Use "gear.xml" : Oskari made it for that and it's safe.
chahur

Post by chahur »

Update :
- Refresh chord expert when changing row per beats
- Display selected chord infos in Chord expert dialog
- Chord expert dialog : insert multiple chords within the dialog. The pattern cursor can be moved from the dialog with [ctrl] up, down, pgup and pgdown.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

chahur wrote: You should not modify gear_default.xml because it will be replace by the next update of buzz.
Use "gear.xml" : Oskari made it for that and it's safe.
Boing! :D Of course!
chahur

Post by chahur »

Updated :
- Dialog to determine the tonality of the pattern.

... experimental !
You need to choose between the major and minor relative tonalities.
May give unpredictable results if pattern is not tonal.
chahur

Post by chahur »

Bugfix : Mirror selection crash when mirror "note off"
chahur

Post by chahur »

Updated :
- Chord dialog : button "Clear" (ctrl+DELETE) to clear current pattern row
- Add shortcuts to toolbar button hints
- Set focus back to pattern after selecting a value in the shrink/expand dropbox

Here is a short explanation about the chord dialog:

The chords selection dialog (ctrl + H or button "insert chord") opens from a "note" column if the note is not defined.
Otherwise, the chord is generated directly according to the note (base note of the chord) and the choice of chord type in the drop down box (the button on the right selects the chord library).
The checkbox "Once" limits the generation of the chord to the notes defined in the library. When unchecked, the notes of the chord will be cyclically generated (by increasing octave) up to the highest note or the last column of the pattern.

The dialogue uses pattern analysis of chords (chord expert in automatic mode preferably) and is based on the last chord found before the current line.
It displays the chords sorting them by proximity to the previous chord (distance = number of notes that differ).
If there is no previous chord, then the grid shows the chords sorted by base note.
By double clicking (or Enter) on selected chord, it is inserted in the pattern on the current line.
The dialogue is not closed. It is possible to insert other (or replace the current chord) by moving in the pattern by Ctrl + Up or Down or PgUp or PgDown. You can also clear the current row of the pattern with ctrl+DELETE.
This creates the chords progression directly. If we start listening to the pattern before opening the dialog, it's easier:-)

The use of tonalities can limit the display of chords to those who belong to the selected tonality.

What remains to do is to define how the chord is played. Currently the notes of the chord are simply generated on the current line. The next step is to choose a playing grid of the chord (eg an arpeggio) and of course be able to create new ones easily.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Great work! :)
chahur

Post by chahur »

Added :
- Chord dialog : Select sort mode (by note or by distance)
- Arpeggiator added to chord generation

You can now generate your chords with an arpeggio.
Select the arpeggio in the dropbox (toolbar), or in the listbox (in the chord dialog).
The predefined arpeggios are saved in the file Buzz\Gear\Generators\PatternXP\Basic.arp.
Thanks to Tinga for testing the arpeggiator and creating these presets.

You can create your own arpeggios : select in the pattern the notes you want to use in the arpeggio and click the "Save Arpeggio" button.
The custom arpeggios are saved in the file Buzz\Gear\Generators\PatternXP\Custom.arp.
This file will not be erase by updates (but Basic.arp will be !). So your own arpeggios are safe.
You can edit the file in a text editor and modify it (it's a ".ini" format).

Limits of the size of an arpeggio : 64 rows, 35 tracks

The next step will be to add NoteOff, Velocity and Delay to the arpeggios.
Stay tuned :-)

update :
My first tutorial here : How to use the chord dialog
Another one here : How to create new arpeggios
Last edited by chahur on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

:dance: :dance: :dance:
Merci infiniment!!!!
chahur

Post by chahur »

magmavander wrote::dance: :dance: :dance:
Merci infiniment!!!!
De rien, on s'amuse bien :-)
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Yes! Phantastic! :dance:

Is this behavior as described below intentional?

Placing cursor – let's say in first row – and opening the chord expert dialog.
Inserting an arpeggio, closing chord espert dialog and leaving the cursor where it is.
Trying to open the chord expert dialog again: in won't show up.
Instead an arpeggio – chosen with the button right next from button chord expert – will be inserted.
My intention was to bring up the chord expert dialog again.

Moving the cursor to a place, where no note is placed, the chord expert dialog shows up.
But then it's the same behavior: leaving cursor on that inserted note, the dialog won't show up.

:?
chahur

Post by chahur »

Klangkulisse wrote:Yes! Phantastic! :dance:

Is this behavior as described below intentional?

Placing cursor – let's say in first row – and opening the chord expert dialog.
Inserting an arpeggio, closing chord espert dialog and leaving the cursor where it is.
Trying to open the chord expert dialog again: in won't show up.
Instead an arpeggio – chosen with the button right next from button chord expert – will be inserted.
My intention was to bring up the chord expert dialog again.

Moving the cursor to a place, where no note is placed, the chord expert dialog shows up.
But then it's the same behavior: leaving cursor on that inserted note, the dialog won't show up.

:?
Yes, if there is a note under the cursor, the arpeggio is generated using the infos from the toolbar.
If there is no note, then, the dialog shows up.
I agree that it may be confusing. I have the project to improve that.
chahur

Post by chahur »

Bugfix :
- synchronise selected arpeggio between toolbar dropbox and dialog listbox.
Added :
- Toolbar cut in two rows
- Add Chord Dialog tool button
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Thank you.
Pattern editor grows – great!
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

@ chahur: Well Pattern XP Mod seems to be a very nice tool within buzz ... can you please tell me: is there any chance to get it going under Win XP :?: What are the minimum system requirements :?: (I can press the buttons, but nothing happens!)