SnowMachines combined thread

snowglobe

Re: SnowMachines combined thread

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:I just downloaded the new version, but didn't see any change in the gui, and nothing about legato/staccato (great idea), did i miss something?
:? Very strange.

I just made absolutely sure the newest version is in the download zip. Can you try again and verify it still hasn't changed?
tinga

Post by tinga »

I downloaded again, but when I look at modification date for scale walker, i see 04/19, windows noticed a new version, but no change for me, yes strange, a malediction on my computer or a time paradox?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:I downloaded again, but when I look at modification date for scale walker, i see 04/19, windows noticed a new version, but no change for me, yes strange, a malediction on my computer or a time paradox?
mystery solved - Google Drive app crapped out on my computer, so sync wasn't happening. All better now.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Yes, cool, I have the new gui now, I can go to sleep now.
Thanks for this "real" update, test it tomorrow, leap motion+scalewalker is my job for the week, very exiting.
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

Finally I've tried the Scalewalker and I agree with everybody. It seems great even though I've just scratched the surface.

I think I've read all documentation and I still have some questions. If answers are to be found somewhere, please point me to that direction.

A) When making a row with many rows it's quite difficult to highlight the row. Normally you click behind the last rule but if the window is full or you just don't want to scroll to the end or click several times between the rules, how about making the space between (+) and the first rule clickable?

B) Sometimes this random thing pops up. I don't really now how to reproduce it or remove it. How do I do it?

C) When setting duration of beats and cycle is there a way to control it in other ways?
-I'd love to click/hover with mouse and enter number from keyboard.
-Can I make it count faster? It moves in 1/10 per default. I've realized that by pressing shift it counts up by 1/100 but if I want it to count in 1/1? Moving it up to 16 and down again takes long.

D) I find delay amt to be difficult to set since it move so fast. Is it possible to move the slider in a more controlled way? Like pressing shift on the timing in (C)? Or maybe use scrollwheel, enter value manually or make slider move slower if you pull up/down instead of left/right

/Anders
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:A) When making a row with many rows it's quite difficult to highlight the row. Normally you click behind the last rule but if the window is full or you just don't want to scroll to the end or click several times between the rules, how about making the space between (+) and the first rule clickable?
and/or the row height could be increased a bit making it much easier to select/deselect along the entire length of a row; watch for some sort of remedy in next update
B) Sometimes this random thing pops up. I don't really now how to reproduce it or remove it. How do I do it?
right-click -> toggle random-from-range. yeah, it's a little irritating when that happens accidentally due to mouse position - will fix
C) When setting duration of beats and cycle is there a way to control it in other ways?
-I'd love to click/hover with mouse and enter number from keyboard.
-Can I make it count faster? It moves in 1/10 per default. I've realized that by pressing shift it counts up by 1/100 but if I want it to count in 1/1? Moving it up to 16 and down again takes long.
click-drag up and down is faster than the mouse wheel, but yes, i'll add an option for a larger change when holding down ctrl, and maybe the manual entry option if i get the gumption.
D) I find delay amt to be difficult to set since it move so fast. Is it possible to move the slider in a more controlled way? Like pressing shift on the timing in (C)? Or maybe use scrollwheel, enter value manually or make slider move slower if you pull up/down instead of left/right
thought someone might request this :) Yeah, I think this will be in the next update as well.

Jeesh, you sure did hit a lot of things on my MAYBEDO list. :lol:
AndersBrontosaurus

Awesome, Snowglobe! Thank you for that immediate reply. Have a great weekend!
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

update bump: ScaleWalker: rows easier to select; hold ctrl key to adjust values by 1; mouse wheel works with sliders; prevent accidental random-from-range; enabled recording of slider adjustments to pattern.

All machines: minor bugfixes.
AndersBrontosaurus

:dance:

<3
esp81

Post by esp81 »

Was something about midi routing changed in the newest update? All my tracks made with previous versions seem to be broken, can't figure out exactly what happened.

edit: nevermind it was just the new staccato setting messing with some pad sounds...all fixed now! :dance:
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

update bump: ScaleWalker bugfix: previous update caused Selection Mode to be reset to static when reloading a saved song.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

update bump.

ScaleWalker: Snap MIDI In to Tick option, interface bugfixes
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

so i finally tried scale snapper and it does what i want, but i need one more thing there:

if you make a pattern and hit ctrl-r on the note column you get all kinds of notes from c-0 to c-9. obviously that doesn't really work to randomly generate melodies, so what i need is to tell scale snapper to limit the input from say c-3 to c-5, or map everything out side that range to that range. then it would be perfect for me. can i get it done by tomorrow ? cheers unz

EDIT: i just found the "Range boundrary" parameter, not sure if this is related (not sure what it does really). anyway i'd need to set lower AND upper limit of notes played.
rav

Post by rav »

This:
snowglobe wrote: 'RfR Bound' looks like a regular Note column (...) in pattern view. Use it to set a lower or upper bound relative to whatever notes are fired from the Note column. This creates a range of values from which one will be selected randomly.

Once a value is entered into the RfR Bound column, all output from notes entered into the track will be Random from Range. To turn off RfR functioning and return to deterministic notes, enter an 'Off' into the RfR Bound colum.

Code: Select all

RfR   Note             Possible Outputs
                        ----  -----         ----------------------------
                        C-0    E-4          any note from C-0 to E-4
                        C-9    E-4          any note from E-4 to C-9
                        ...    C-8          any note  from C-8 to C-9
                        Off    C-3          C-3
                        ...    B-4          B-4
                        B-4    ...          nothing
                        ...    B-4          B-4
                        C-1    ...          nothing
                        ...    C-9          any note from C-1 to C-9
Help files are really cool too :ugeek:
It works as expected if you set it per track, global column seems to be broken for now.
I think, that probability for this random note could be nice addition :)
snowglobe wrote:update bump.
Great improvements, thanks snowglobe. ScaleWalker is very complex machine, still needs more time, to understand what these all values doing.
Parameters in rules are very squeezed, i think it would be more friendly, if would add more space between them or larger font.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

rav wrote:It works as expected if you set it per track, global column seems to be broken for now.
Thanks for the heads up - fixed (problem was in SnowglobeCore.dll, so that's what needs to be replaced).
Well, I think you know how the existing probability parameter works, so I guess you mean a parameter where the question is use RfR / don't use RfR? So that, for example, a low probability value would mean that usually the value in the Note field would be fired, but occasionally the RfR would kick in? Seems like that might be nice, yeah - I'll add that.
Parameters in rules are very squeezed, i think it would be more friendly, if would add more space between them or larger font.
Maybe mark up a screen grab with some arrows to show where you think things are too cramped?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

I plan to add output range restriction options as per unz's request above -- to all Snowglobe machines. Since this will involve adding new parameters, existing bmx's could possibly develop issues. Even so, it should probably be pretty easy to manually repair any affected patterns.

Here's your chance to try to convince me to add version numbers. I really don't want to.
rav

Post by rav »

snowglobe wrote:
Well, I think you know how the existing probability parameter works, so I guess you mean a parameter where the question is use RfR / don't use RfR? So that, for example, a low probability value would mean that usually the value in the Note field would be fired, but occasionally the RfR would kick in? Seems like that might be nice, yeah - I'll add that.
Realy cool :)
snowglobe wrote:
Maybe mark up a screen grab with some arrows to show where you think things are too cramped?

Something like this could help, i think. Maybe i little bit more space between values, i don't know. It needs some testing and fine tuning...
Btw, steps and vectors in Arp module can be changed only by one position at once when you click and drag on them. Is it intentional?
snowglobe wrote:...existing bmx's could possibly develop issues. Even so, it should probably be pretty easy to manually repair any affected patterns.
If it will really simple then i don't mind...
tinga

Post by tinga »

Rav wrote: ScaleWalker is very complex machine, still needs more time, to understand what these all values doing.
Lucky ScaleWalker is not a machine, it's a multi machines, and also a new approach for music, if we look at the arpeggio rule, a crazy thing, it's not only an arpeggiator, you can create all process on scales, permutations, chords...with all rhythms you want, so yes, we need time to play with this f... stuff! but not so many time, we can also save a lot of time, ScaleWalker is a fantastic tool to create, compose or generate music. A perfect combination between maths and music, a "no limits" machine, we have to share templates.
I have some trouble with ScaleWalker's window, when I open it, i have to unfold, and sometime it disappears when i click on machine view.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:I have some trouble with ScaleWalker's window, when I open it, i have to unfold, and sometime it disappears when i click on machine view.
I'm not able to reproduce this. Anybody else seeing any similar issues?
tinga

Post by tinga »

Snowglobe wrote:I'm not able to reproduce this. Anybody else seeing any similar issues?
X64 plugins in Polac vsti is the bug for the window disappears, here is the bug, I load a X64 plugin, I open scalewalker, I click inside the window, I just move the mouse on params rule, and scalewalker disappears, nothing if i use a x32 plug.
For the other bug, the window that folds open as soon, it happens only on my laptop, probably just me.(It happens just the first time I load the machine, after all is fine)