SnowMachines combined thread

snowglobe

Re: SnowMachines combined thread

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:Just a question, could "hold" and "hush" be parameters or controllable by midi, it will be great to have the control of this without using the keyboard, we have to keep the window open, not easy in a live situation like concert for example, anyway Scale Walker is perfect with a launchpad.
Definitely do-able.
I'll check around and see if I can find my gumption; I seem to have misplaced it.
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

Hoping that quest for gumption is making progress, Snowglobe - your suite is still appreciated!

Came across a glitch/bug and was wondering if anyone could brainstorm a workaround.

Take the following ruleset:

In theory, this should prove to be a "human arpeggiator" - allowing me to alternate two keys in real-time while getting a random arpeggiator effect.

However, if two different-keyed inputs would result in the same note, it seems that the "note off" of the early input overrides the subsequent "note on" of the later input.

For example, say I'm alternating between C4 and D4 on the physical keyboard, in a major scale, and the random sequence happens to go top to bottom (for ease of description).

First note (C4, +1) -> D4
Second note (D4, +2) -> F4
Third note (C4, -1) -> B3
Fourth note (D4, -2) -> silence (but should be another B3)

I'm not sure if there'd be any software fix (especially given those gumption issues! :() but maybe there's an alternate way of achieving the same effect that won't result in occasional hiccups?

The same glitch exists in Random From Range, as well.

EDIT:

Another glitch I forgot to mention:

When the Scalewalker window is maximized, the highlighted (darkened?) portion won't respond to click-and-drags. There's about two pixels on the far left of the probability % that will respond. Maybe there's some hidden element?

Obviously the workaround for now is to add an extra "dummy" rule to allow the sideways scroll.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

River Cricket wrote:Hoping that quest for gumption is making progress, Snowglobe - your suite is still appreciated!
My gumption is mostly taken up by my irl job these days.

However! It heartens me greatly to see that my ingenious masterpiece :ugeek: has not completely faded from all memory, and this is an intriguing report. I have put it on my to-do list to open Visual Studio at least one more time to see if I can understand the source code anymore and ppossibly come up with a solution (um, on another day, when I haven't had quite so much wwwine ...)
IXix

Post by IXix »

snowglobe wrote:to see if I can understand the source code anymore
Haha, I know that feeling all too well! :D

You're not forgotten. Trying to understand how to get music out of these things is very near the top of my list.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

snowglobe wrote:It heartens me greatly to see that my ingenious masterpiece :ugeek: has not completely faded from all memory
Impossible to forget such an important piece for Buzz. It's like peer machines, PXP mod from chahur or polac vst.
I hope to see more video and/or tutorials from you (or from a buzzer) because this tool is just a Giant Step for many reasons (live impro, help writing, experimenting and such...).

MERCI MONSIEUR SNOWGLOBE :D ;) :dance: :dance: :dance:
tinga

Post by tinga »

snowglobe wrote:However! It heartens me greatly to see that my ingenious masterpiece :ugeek: has not completely faded from all memory
I never make a bmx without ScaleWalker, its just impossible. My job is finished because I'm an old man now, I hope to be a full time buzzer :lol: !
Seriously, your machines are awesome, many commercial things are just pathetic compared to ScaleWalker, I think we have to open a topic in the Presets and Templates place, ScaleWalker has his own preset format, it is so much versatile, best tools in Buzz.
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

tinga wrote:
snowglobe wrote:However! It heartens me greatly to see that my ingenious masterpiece :ugeek: has not completely faded from all memory
I never make a bmx without ScaleWalker, its just impossible. My job is finished because I'm an old man now, I hope to be a full time buzzer :lol: !
Seriously, your machines are awesome, many commercial things are just pathetic compared to ScaleWalker, I think we have to open a topic in the Presets and Templates place, ScaleWalker has his own preset format, it is so much versatile, best tools in Buzz.
How do we get more old men into buzz?
ags

Post by ags »

Wait, I guess.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

But don't wait too long, or the problem will eventually be back.
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

ags wrote:Wait, I guess.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm working with home care this summer so I'll see what I can do.

-Have a look at this tracker while I fix your catheter. Ready to rok?
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
Have a look at this tracker while I fix your catheter. Ready to rok?
:lol:
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

Hi snowglobe,

thanx for invitation at buzz-tunes !
The download link at the beginning of this thread leads to an login at google. I dont have an google account. Is it also possible to download your suite at your one drive or somewhere else?

In the meanwhile I watched your tutorial videos at your one drive. My main goal for beginning would be to have notes and chords in scale, in scalewalker set to zero, if have understood it right. Is there a feature to see the belonging notes of an given scale?

Thanx a lot for your pulgins and support! :dance:
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

HerrFornit wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:38 pm The download link at the beginning of this thread leads to an login at google.
Don't know how the share settings got changed, but I think that you should be able to download it now from that same link. Let me know!
In the meanwhile I watched your tutorial videos at your one drive. My main goal for beginning would be to have notes and chords in scale, in scalewalker set to zero, if have understood it right.
I think you have understood it correctly: setting the three parts of a row's timing spec to 0 will result in everything in that row being output simultaneously when triggered by your own playing or by note ons and offs in a pattern.
Is there a feature to see the belonging notes of an given scale?
Currently no such feature (but the question does give me ideas ...)

For the record, scales are specified in terms of semitone steps. Like this
  • chromatic: 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
  • aeolian / natural minor: 2 1 2 2 1 2 2
  • so forth
You can see/edit these specifications by right-clicking on scale names in the scale selection drop-down menu. (You can also create your own experimental scales, including negative steps if you like :D )
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

thanx for your reply!
The download link still leads to an email or phonenummer request for google drive. What I am doing wrong😁 I looked at joachips site but did not find your machines there.

Interesting feature, to build yor own scales. In the rules, steps arent semitones, right ?(said in tutorial )
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

HerrFornit wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:07 pm The download link still leads to an email or phonenummer request for google drive. What I am doing wrong😁
You're not doing anything wrong :-)
I have now edited the link instead of stupidly assuming it wouldn't change even though the permissions did :oops:
If you still have trouble I will give up and move the whole thing over to OneDrive.
I looked at joachips site but did not find your machines there.
Quite some time ago he told me to edit the Wiki and add my stuff, and I just totally forgot. Once I know the download is working as expected I'll get back on that.
Interesting feature, to build yor own scales. In the rules, steps arent semitones, right ?(said in tutorial )
Right - offset steps in a rule are *scale* steps.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

ok. one step further :D . Now I come to the zip file. By pressing the download arrow I come back to login screen. Sorry, no download yet.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

HerrFornit wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:05 pm ok. one step further :D . Now I come to the zip file. By pressing the download arrow I come back to login screen. Sorry, no download yet.
Well OK, then, moved it to OneDrive.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmwjAxL3R4qVh694T0B ... A?e=oRhjJv

Fingers crossed!
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

got it! Thank you very much.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Greetings!

Snowglobe Machines 2023-04-11

I've made some sense out of my spaghetti code and done some revising, particularly in that ScaleWalker's arp rules have been completely re-imagined:
  • steps are now actual notespecs, so you can use the same things that are available to chord rules (including random-from-range - per step!)
  • vector options are out of control
    -- as seen in the Annotation for Set 3 in the tutorial bmx

Other good things:
  • Demo bmx's no longer stupidly expect you to load soundfonts
  • ScaleWalker tutorial/demo bmx is much improved (imho)
Last edited by snowglobe on Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

Snowglobe Machines 2023-04-11

I've made some sense out of my spaghetti code and done some revising, particularly in that ScaleWalker's arp rules have been completely re-imagined:
The demoes work fine so far in the latest 32bitBuzz, (in 64bitBuzz2022 I get a lot of "Object"-Errors), too late this night to check out your "F10 stuff" in the special demo, but highest respect, the rest of your bmx-demoes -or is it demös? - run fine here.

Great work for my taste ... :o :dance: :ugeek: ... Thank you for your improvements ...