Need some way to line up two wav's visually

River Cricket

Re: Need some way to line up two wav's visually

Post by River Cricket »

I would just like to provide an update / resolution to my issues on the previous page - it seems the glitching was due to the AudioBlock resampling. Files were originally at 16/44.1, upsampled to 16/96 with the magical right click option.

Once I re-resampled the original files in Audacity and imported those into AudioBlock, the glitches went away.
wde wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:10 am
HerrFornit wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:08 pm Is it possible that audioblock adjusts the patternlength of the recorded wav of Easyrec automatically, too?
  • Adjust pattern lengths automatically based on Wavetable changes.
For offset I vote for milliseconds like this: "0002.6" ms.
  • Votes are in and milliseconds won.
  • More accurate pattern lengths.
  • Mute param.
  • Small EasyRec improvements (remove unnecessary silence, add time stamp to recording etc..)
  • Edit: Restructure the code to avoid couple of issues. Uploaded new version.

EasyRec.zip
This is pretty amazing! I had been using sgorpi's mtrk, but it was always a bit dicey having to remember to break my workflow to go into Explorer to save the takes. I love how EasyRec can take care of everything from within the Buzz window itself!

Maybe there should be a dedicated WDE machines thread, since machines like this can be a little hard to find buried in the replies here.

Sorry to always be clogging the thread up with technical issues, but I'm noticing that after about 90 seconds of recording, I get increasingly-choppy audio. Even a super-simple KickXP / Bass3 4/4 pattern will start having these issues.

The recorded audio itself is fine, which is a bit of a relief and means I can still use EasyRec for "bouncedowns".

I'm beginning to suspect my setup itself - can anyone else replicate this issue? Here is a demo .bmx - just set the slider to record, press F6, and wait for three minutes (and try not to lose your mind at the repetitive pattern :D). By then, for me, there's noticeable glitching going on. It's actually slightly similar to the glitches I heard when using AudioBlock to resample WAVs, but far far worse.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Hi,

I tried your bmx, following your instructions. Starts fine and at around 01:00 begins glitches.
After glitches doesnt seems to stop.
In the wavetable view the sample seems ok. At last you can export.
But yes, its annoying to listen it with glitches.
I'm on W10 64, latest buzz install.

mag
rav

Post by rav »

confirmed
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

Thanks Magma and Rav!

I'm on Windows 7, 64 bit OS / 32 bit Buzz, so it's definitely not limited to Win10.

Tried it on Polac ASIO, Polac DirectSound, and native WASAPI - glitches on all. DirectSound seemed slightly better than the other two, but the glitches were still present and I wasn't very "scientific", so it may really be just as bad.
wde

Post by wde »

There might have been an issue with long recordings. Fixed(?):
Last edited by wde on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

wde wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:19 pm There might have been an issue with long recordings.
Did I mention the .BMX for the project I was working on was nearly 1.0GB? :twisted:

Pretty straightforward though, certainly nothing as intricate as some of the things I see here :)
wde wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:19 pm Fixed(?):
Can confirm there's no need for the question mark - recorded 11 minutes of a test pattern, I did hear a glitch or two but I think it was just Chrome being a momentary resource pig. :dance:
wde

Post by wde »

River Cricket wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:42 pm Did I mention the .BMX for the project I was working on was nearly 1.0GB? :twisted:
:D
Can confirm there's no need for the question mark - recorded 11 minutes of a test pattern, I did hear a glitch or two but I think it was just Chrome being a momentary resource pig. :dance:
This one might work even better:

Those who might care:

Code: Select all

Array.Resize = bad because it actually copes everything to new buffer.
List = Better, but who knows what happens internally.
Dictionary with dynamically allocated buffers seems to be nice way to avoid CPU spikes.
Last edited by wde on Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

wde wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:24 pm
River Cricket wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:42 pm Did I mention the .BMX for the project I was working on was nearly 1.0GB? :twisted:
:D
This one might work even better:

EasyRec.zip

Those who might care:

Code: Select all

Array.Resize = bad because it actually copes everything to new buffer.
List = Better, but who knows what happens internally.
Dictionary with dynamically allocated buffers seems to be nice way to avoid CPU spikes.
Been trying it off and on for the past while and haven't encountered any CPU spikes - awesome! :D

One thing that would be nice is if the default filename was "EasyRec YYYY-MM-DD hh.mm.ss" instead of "EasyRec YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss" (periods / "." instead of colons / ":"). The current name, while okay for WaveTable purposes, cannot be used for actual filenames in Windows. Using periods to separate hh/mm/ss would make saving files a simple one-click operation, which is always valuable when in the "zone" and not wanting to switch gears to rename a file while saving.
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

Hey WDE, can you start a new thread for this or can I have a link to pin at the top of the latest version? I had to scroll to page 6 before I found the download link and I'm not even sure that's the latest version. For some reason the earlier ones are gone. (Chrome).
Candle

Post by Candle »

Or maybe get Joachim to put them on Robotplanet?

See You In The Shadows…
wde

Post by wde »

River Cricket wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:35 am One thing that would be nice is if the default filename was "EasyRec YYYY-MM-DD hh.mm.ss" instead of "EasyRec YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss" (periods / "." instead of colons / ":"). The current name, while okay for WaveTable purposes, cannot be used for actual filenames in Windows. Using periods to separate hh/mm/ss would make saving files a simple one-click operation, which is always valuable when in the "zone" and not wanting to switch gears to rename a file while saving.
Agree and fixed in the updated version.
synthphase wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:04 pm Hey WDE, can you start a new thread for this or can I have a link to pin at the top of the latest version? I had to scroll to page 6 before I found the download link and I'm not even sure that's the latest version. For some reason the earlier ones are gone. (Chrome).
I'll start new threads in the 'Users' side - I think both machines are in a good condition.
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

Thanks!
wde

Post by wde »

While I was working on AudioBlock I tried some approaches to run part of the code in a separate process. Benefits are that you can recover easier from crashes and you can allocate gazillion gigabytes of memory.

Did not end up in the machine because I haven't reached the memory limit even with Buzz32. Anyways, you might find this example effect useful. Basically it creates noise in a separate process and mixes it to input if audio signal is detected.
Attachments
MultiProcessManagedMachine.zip
(18.03 KiB) Downloaded 189 times