Modern Sequence Editor

wde

Modern Sequence Editor

Post by wde »

Hey devs,

I needed a bit more modern version of the good old Buzz sequence editor and ended up with this:
ModernSeq3.png
ModernSeq3.png (330.22 KiB) Viewed 10568 times

Thanks goes to the master himself because this is 99% based on the horizontal sequence editor you can find in Buzz already. What I did was to switch rows and columns, and did some small tinkering here and there.

Include this to your song and you are good to go. The neat thing is that you can reposition the sequence window next to main Buzz window or separate monitor.

Enjoy.
Attachments
ModernSequenceEditor.zip
(107.71 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
ModernSequenceEditor_src.zip
(58.46 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Last edited by wde on Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 50 times in total.
IXix

Re: Modern Sequence Editor

Post by IXix »

Say what!? :shock:
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

You are overhauling bUZZ!

I always wondered if it is possible to see the sequence AND the machine setup at same time. This is the answer!

Thank you.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Am I right in thinking it goes in Generators? I get this when I double click the machine...

I'd try to debug it but I'm busy breaking Magic. :lol:
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

IXix wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:09 am Am I right in thinking it goes in Generators? I get this when I double click the machine...
No problems here in generators folder.
wde

Post by wde »

IXix wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:09 am I'd try to debug it but I'm busy breaking Magic. :lol:
:D

I think the issue was related to loading theme, fixed now. You were using default theme right?
thOke

Post by thOke »

Amazing thing, you! ;)
Thank you :!: :dance:
IXix

Post by IXix »

wde wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:09 amYou were using default theme right?
Yes. I'll test later when I've finished fixing Magic for the day. Got a LOT of fixing to do. :lol:
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Oh yes! Another wonder from Mister WDE :dance:
No problems here, worked fine.
THANK YOU!!!
IXix

Post by IXix »

Loads okay now but the patterns don't have their names, still default theme (I'm fairly old school :D). Changing theme fixes it but only if I delete the machine and add a new instance.
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

Oh wow, what an awesome tool, thank you WDE! I am going to have some fun with this :dance: I'm getting a few glitches though. Like IXix, I have trouble if I don't use theme <default>, though the error message is different:

1.png
1.png (20.31 KiB) Viewed 15635 times

Theme in this case is Themes\BEN_04.col, an ancient theme I made, but it's the same with any theme, including those that use a folder containing images and a 'theme.xml' file. I can temporarily use another theme if I:
  1. Make sure theme is <default>
  2. Add ModernSeq (or load a file containing ModernSeq instance)
  3. Change to another theme
But if I save the file and open it again I get the same error message. Only way to load a file with ModernSeq, or add a new instance of ModernSeq, is to have the <default> theme.

I also get the patterns without names:

2.png
2.png (22.56 KiB) Viewed 15635 times

Also, would it be possible to display sequencer steps other than 16? The example I have above appears as follows in the oldskool sequencer view:

3.png
3.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 15635 times

At the moment you can only place patterns at positions that are multiples of 16. There's no way to place a pattern at position 56, for example.

The double-click to make new patterns is awesome! This will make life easier and more fun!

Thank you so much dude :D :D :D
wde

Post by wde »

I think I found the issue with disappearing text. Updated.
etruscan wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:03 pm Oh wow, what an awesome tool, thank you WDE! I am going to have some fun with this :dance: I'm getting a few glitches though. Like IXix, I have trouble if I don't use theme <default>, though the error message is different:
Very strange. Sorry, I can't reproduce this.
Also, would it be possible to display sequencer steps other than 16? The example I have above appears as follows in the oldskool sequencer view:
Right click somewhere in the sequence and select 'Set Time Signature'. This can be also found from the horizontal sequence editor.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Yeah, seems to be working properly now. Really cool. 8-)

Don't know if it's possible but clicking 'settings' in your machine brings up the settings for the built in Seq Editor and it would be pretty slick if your machine obeyed those same settings.
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

wde wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:55 pm I think I found the issue with disappearing text. Updated.
etruscan wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:03 pm Oh wow, what an awesome tool, thank you WDE! I am going to have some fun with this :dance: I'm getting a few glitches though. Like IXix, I have trouble if I don't use theme <default>, though the error message is different:
Very strange. Sorry, I can't reproduce this.
Right click somewhere in the sequence and select 'Set Time Signature'. This can be also found from the horizontal sequence editor.

I'll do some more tinkering, maybe try with a fresh installation of Buzz, and see if that makes any difference. My installation is basically ~20 years old in terms of the contents of the Buzz folder so there could be something in there upsetting things.

Awesome re. 'Set Time Signature' - I'll check that out!
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

I did some testing with the included themes in a fresh installation of 32-bit Buzz from here and Modern Sequence Editor, on a different computer.

I found that themes which have a Themes\<theme name>\Sequence Editor\SequenceEditor.xaml file work fine. The ones that don't give an error like this:

iLKke machines (new).png
iLKke machines (new).png (401.31 KiB) Viewed 15571 times

This includes themes that have a .col file and associated folder, and ones that are just a standalone .col.

'Default Glass' and 'iLKke pixelplast (new)' also give the following error, though it happens when you double-click on any machine, so it's not specific to ModernSeq:

Default Glass.png
Default Glass.png (3.5 KiB) Viewed 15571 times

I used 'Set Time Signature' in ModernSeq to great effect; thanks dude! It doesn't update the step in the old vertical sequence view, but I suspect I'm not going to use that any more :)

I hope this feedback is useful! I really feel like I'm just bagging out your awesome machine . . .
wde

Post by wde »

Quick and dirty solution is to fallback to default theme if something goes wrong. Seems to work.
etruscan wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:09 am'Default Glass' and 'iLKke pixelplast (new)' also give the following error, though it happens when you double-click on any machine, so it's not specific to ModernSeq:
Yeah, I think these themes have some bugs. Theme called Mire is super smooth and modern. I highly recommend it.
IXix wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:21 pm Don't know if it's possible but clicking 'settings' in your machine brings up the settings for the built in Seq Editor and it would be pretty slick if your machine obeyed those same settings.
I think this would require custom build of BuzzGUI.Common. Better not to touch it ;)
Candle

Post by Candle »

This is awesome. It really expands the workflow in Buzz :mrgreen:

I like that you can choose the colours for each track - but I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the standard "Windows Colour Picker Window" or even enter in RGB values so that we could have custom colours?

WDE, you've done so much to expand the capabilities of Buzz in the last few years - so has IX. I think you both need a huge applause from the community!

See You In The Shadows…
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

wde wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:35 pm Quick and dirty solution is to fallback to default theme if something goes wrong. Seems to work.
etruscan wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:09 am'Default Glass' and 'iLKke pixelplast (new)' also give the following error, though it happens when you double-click on any machine, so it's not specific to ModernSeq:
Yeah, I think these themes have some bugs. Theme called Mire is super smooth and modern. I highly recommend it.
Mire is nice; thanks for the recommendation :)
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

OMG amazing work! Thanks so much for this.
mik82

Post by mik82 »

Nice work! I didn't realise stuff like this could be done within Buzz. I need a second screen now..

If the sequence editor was adaptable like this, then the Jeskola Live machine is ripe for modification/increased functionality (hint :) )