Modern Sequence Editor

River Cricket

Re: Modern Sequence Editor

Post by River Cricket »

Incredible. I'm sorry for the belated thank you, but I've honestly been so engrossed with MSE and EB that I've plumb done gone went and forgot my manners - seriously!

Re: Shading, is it possible for the shading to also affect the pattern coloring, or would that run into issues similar to how the blinking cursor can mess with EnvBlock?

(Glancing at the source, and keeping in mind that I'm an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, I'm guessing that this would be unfeasible, as the background is just a static layer on top of which the "pattern" blocks are dropped - but maybe it's possible to have an "alpha channel" layer on top of everything at 50% transparency that alternates between completely-null/see-through and RGB #000000 or whatever?)
Press ctrl and place mouse cursor to top/bottom of pattern box. Change snap length from settings. Haven't tested much though ;)
Seems to be working every bit as incredibly as it did in my imagination! Seriously, this alone turns EnvBlock into an absolute workflow powerhouse!

It does get a little glitchy when dragging all the way to the bottom of the screen / outside the confines of the MSE window - ideally, it would scroll the view down when you went off-screen, but if that's unfeasible, then maybe it should just snap to the closest visible "snap target".
wde

Post by wde »

No more feature requests! :D
River Cricket wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:55 pm Re: Shading, is it possible for the shading to also affect the pattern coloring, or would that run into issues similar to how the blinking cursor can mess with EnvBlock?
Now you can draw that stuff on top of sequences (settings). BTW you can theme these by editing SequenceEditor.xaml:

Code: Select all

<SolidColorBrush x:Key="SeqEdBackgroundMarkerLineBrush" Color="#55000000" po:Freeze="True"/>
  <SolidColorBrush x:Key="SeqEdBackgroundMarkerRectBrush" Color="#1a000000" po:Freeze="True"/>
River Cricket wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:55 pm It does get a little glitchy when dragging all the way to the bottom of the screen / outside the confines of the MSE window - ideally, it would scroll the view down when you went off-screen, but if that's unfeasible, then maybe it should just snap to the closest visible "snap target".
Auto-scroll should work now.
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

No more feature requests! :D
Haha, I'm really, truly sorry :oops: I know I've been Mr. Feature Request, and I really, really appreciate all the additions you've made on my behalf. Sorry to be a leech.

(But you will add that purple unicorn I requested in PM, right? You quite clearly said "no more feature requests", not "no more unicorn requests"...)

The current version (and the previous version too) has a bug in ParameterWindow mode where pressing F6 within MSE will spit up an "Object reference not set to instance of object" error. Works fine in Interface mode.

I'm not much of a coder but I know enough to at least not ask completely-terrible questions, sometimes, occasionally. This should be a fixed version with F6 working in ParameterWindow mode as well. Version changed to 1.2.7a, everything else in the diff should just relate to the ParameterWindow F6 fix.
Attachments
ModernSequenceEditor_src (fixed).zip
(199.1 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
wde

Post by wde »

River Cricket wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:07 pm The current version (and the previous version too) has a bug in ParameterWindow mode where pressing F6 within MSE will spit up an "Object reference not set to instance of object" error. Works fine in Interface mode.
Thanks. Should be fixed now.
wde

Post by wde »

1.3.0 aka "Windows 11 Certified"

Few usability improvements:
  • Default new pattern length (settings)
  • Quick Create Patterns (menu), ctrl pressed will insert
  • Rename machine (menu)
  • Ctrl + mouse wheel zooms
  • Fixes
rav

Post by rav »

Thank you for the updates :)

I have found some things to look at:
Modern sequencer:
1. Zoom to max, then click somewhere on the pattern panel. Some glitch in sequence length comes in, but it is only in max zoom situation i think. Now i see it''is related to zoom with 'Ctrl' only.
2. Tempo change doesn't recalculate grid resolution. Creating automation with snapping could be problematic.
3. Shortcut for move track left and right is described as ctrl+up and ctrl+down.
4. In integrated mode (F4), in second window (ctrl+w). You can't play from selected position (F6), it plays only from position selected in integrated panel. Also, when second window is overlapping buzz itself, then there are some glitches while changing pattern columns. It looks like its changing focus from one window to another with high speed.
5. Sometimes it's hard to edit pattern length with 'Ctrl'. A little bigger 'box' to grab could be better.
Audio Block:
1. Can't edit first point of volume automation after tempo changes in vertical position (and actually its glitchy all the time). In horizontal mode it works better, but also with some quirks. It can be locked, when moved max up.
2. Tempo change doesn't recalculate grid resolution. Creating automation with snapping could be problematic.
3. Max value for volume in 0db mode is -1 and for +6db is +5. dB is signed as bB.
4. Is it possible to invert this zoom in/out with ctrl+mouse wheel (maybe optionally)? I know it's in the machine from the beginning, but zooming in with mouse wheel out is a little bit awkward.
Envelope Block:
1. Sometimes it's hard to edit first and last point in automation. A little bigger 'box' to grab could be better.
2. Deleting automation points with 'Shift' key is causing pop up error window.

wde wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:17 pm
  • Quick Create Patterns (menu), ctrl pressed will insert
I don't know if i misunderstanding it, but it inserting created patterns all the time, with or without pressed 'Ctrl'.
wde wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:53 pm
  • This is fun: click and hold drags a sequence event. Click and hold then Ctrl clones a sequence event.
Maybe i am stupid or something, but i don't know how to do this operations in sequencer. Also i think i know, that in the option now it's 'Alt' instead 'Ctrl'.
wde

Post by wde »

rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am Thank you for the updates :)
And thank you for the to-do list :)

I had to change the MSE interface so you need to redownload all plugins that draw to MSE.
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am Modern sequencer:
1. Zoom to max, then click somewhere on the pattern panel. Some glitch in sequence length comes in, but it is only in max zoom situation i think. Now i see it''is related to zoom with 'Ctrl' only.
I can't reproduce this.
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am 2. Tempo change doesn't recalculate grid resolution. Creating automation with snapping could be problematic.
It is machine specific but should work better now.
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am 3. Shortcut for move track left and right is described as ctrl+up and ctrl+down.
Fixed
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am 4. In integrated mode (F4), in second window (ctrl+w). You can't play from selected position (F6), it plays only from position selected in integrated panel. Also, when second window is overlapping buzz itself, then there are some glitches while changing pattern columns. It looks like its changing focus from one window to another with high speed.
Might remove (ctrl-w). I don't use it and there is too much work to sync two MSE instances. Either use it integrated or from parameter window.
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am 5. Sometimes it's hard to edit pattern length with 'Ctrl'. A little bigger 'box' to grab could be better.
Fixed
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am Audio Block:
1. Can't edit first point of volume automation after tempo changes in vertical position (and actually its glitchy all the time). In horizontal mode it works better, but also with some quirks. It can be locked, when moved max up.
Can't reproduce.
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am 2. Tempo change doesn't recalculate grid resolution. Creating automation with snapping could be problematic.
Some improvements. Stuff is redrawn when song is stopped to avoid clicks. There are still some issues with the grid if you use the pattern window to snap points but I don't have time to look into it. Use MSE view to edit env points. Disabling the wave view altogether in AB pattern window would make things much simpler...
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am 3. Max value for volume in 0db mode is -1 and for +6db is +5. dB is signed as bB.
Fixed.
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am 4. Is it possible to invert this zoom in/out with ctrl+mouse wheel (maybe optionally)? I know it's in the machine from the beginning, but zooming in with mouse wheel out is a little bit awkward.
Settings.
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am Envelope Block:
1. Sometimes it's hard to edit first and last point in automation. A little bigger 'box' to grab could be better.
2. Deleting automation points with 'Shift' key is causing pop up error window.
Fixed
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am I don't know if i misunderstanding it, but it inserting created patterns all the time, with or without pressed 'Ctrl'.
Right click MSE and you should see 'Quick create patterns'.
rav wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:08 am Maybe i am stupid or something, but i don't know how to do this operations in sequencer. Also i think i know, that in the option now it's 'Alt' instead 'Ctrl'.
I can't say what is the issue. You should be able to drag pattern in MSE by pressing left mouse button and holding.
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

This is awesome wde! I have made the jump from the old sequence editor to the new. This is a pleasure to use! It's especially cool to have the sequence on one screen and patterns/machines on the other - much smoother workflow than before :D

A minor niggle - I've found that MSE steals focus from time to time if I have other windows on top of it. So far I've noticed it with Connection Mixer Console. I'll test it more and see if it happens with other windows too.

I'm using MSE with wde PatternXP RE and wde EnvelopeBlock, and having a great time! Thank you again :)
wde

Post by wde »

Updated version should work better when using "integrated" option. Not sure about stealing focus thing, let's call it a feature ;)

Note! Zip file includes modified BuzzGUI.SequenceEditor.dll file. You don't need to include MSE anymore in your song if you unzip all - it is enabled by default :dance:
IXix

Post by IXix »

Since updating to the new version of MSE I'm now getting an error:
(AudioBlock) "Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information"

There are a few instances of AudioBlock in the project but they're currently doing nothing, they're there for if I want to reference another mix.

edit: Forgot to mention Buzz vanishes after I click the OK on the error box.
IXix

Post by IXix »

IXix wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:24 pm Since updating to the new version of MSE I'm now getting an error:
(AudioBlock) "Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information"
Same thing happens if I just open Buzz and try to add an AudioBlock to an empty song.

edit: Except Buzz doesn't vanish in this instance.
wde

Post by wde »

Indeed. Updated AudioBlock should fix the issue.

Noticed that Buzz needs to be restarted if you change the theme. Otherwise the integrated MSE starts to flicker.
IXix

Post by IXix »

wde wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:15 am Indeed. Updated AudioBlock should fix the issue.
Yes, working again. Thanks! :dance:
IXix

Post by IXix »

Just found that the same thing happens with EnvelopeBlock. Same error message.
wde

Post by wde »

IXix wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:39 pm Just found that the same thing happens with EnvelopeBlock. Same error message.
I don't see it but maybe I fixed it and didn't upload new version :) I added couple of stability improvements so please try again.
IXix

Post by IXix »

wde wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:05 pmI don't see it but maybe I fixed it and didn't upload new version :) I added couple of stability improvements so please try again.
Yes, that's fixed it. Thanks! :dance:
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Think something might've happened with the keyboard focus in this new build. If you cycle through the different views (F2 -> F3 -> F4) when you land on Sequence View (F4) you can't then go back to Machine View or Pattern View using the F-keys unless you click away (using the mouse) from Sequence View to another view using the toolbar at the top
wde

Post by wde »

Should be fixed now.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

It sure is :dance: Thanks man, superstar :)
wde

Post by wde »

Update: I added rectangle behind pattern name to make it easier to read. You can disable it from settings.