Modern Sequence Editor

IXix

Re: Modern Sequence Editor

Post by IXix »

wde wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:19 pm 1.2
  • Replace classic sequence editor
:o

Sneaky! How on earth did you do that?

Sadly it crashes 32bit Buzz a few seconds after switching to the sequence editor and Buzz disappears with no message. When I try in Buzz 64, it tries to show some sort of window briefly then disappears. Tried with both the default theme and the Ilke Machines, same results.
wde

Post by wde »

IXix wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:02 pm Sneaky! How on earth did you do that?
Well, Internet told me to grab hwnd messages to classic sequencer view and draw new window there instead. I really wanted to use F4 to switch between editor and sequencer, and this seems to work on my setup. 8-)
IXix wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:02 pm Sadly it crashes 32bit Buzz a few seconds after switching to the sequence editor and Buzz disappears with no message. When I try in Buzz 64, it tries to show some sort of window briefly then disappears. Tried with both the default theme and the Ilke Machines, same results.
Weird that the crash happens after few seconds and not immediately. I did small change and updated source if you feel like debugging the issue. There are some calls to user32.dll and this might vary between systems maybe...

You can still switch to windowed mode: add modern seq to your project and go to settings -> SeqEditorMode.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

crazy. Now you can choose :o Now your close to integrated horizontal view? :lol: :D
Works here except when I change the colour of new pattern via context menu, I get error message. (integrated AND windowed)
mse error color.jpg
mse error color.jpg (29.03 KiB) Viewed 10913 times
BTW: What is the difference between blue and green pattern playing line (cntrl vs shift) ?
wde

Post by wde »

HerrFornit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:59 pm Works here except when I change the colour of new pattern via context menu, I get error message.
Fixed this & other improvements.
HerrFornit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:59 pm BTW: What is the difference between blue and green pattern playing line (cntrl vs shift) ?
I think both loop clicked pattern if Buzz is not playing. If Buzz is playing, shift plays once, ctrl loops (until other pattern is played in the sequence).
IXix

Post by IXix »

Still crashes the same. It flashes a window briefly and then Buzz disappears.

Got a lot to do this week but I'll see if I can build it if I get chance.
rav

Post by rav »

After quick and simple test it works ok here.

Is it possible to add more zoom range maybe? :roll:
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

wde wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:10 am
HerrFornit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:59 pm Works here except when I change the colour of new pattern via context menu, I get error message.
Fixed this & other improvements.
HerrFornit wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:59 pm BTW: What is the difference between blue and green pattern playing line (cntrl vs shift) ?
I think both loop clicked pattern if Buzz is not playing. If Buzz is playing, shift plays once, ctrl loops (until other pattern is played in the sequence).

thanx,

in parameter mode, the horizontal window slider disappears behind the windows task bar, when window is maximized.
wde

Post by wde »

Fixes and more zoom.
HerrFornit wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:25 am in parameter mode, the horizontal window slider disappears behind the windows task bar, when window is maximized.
This seems to be tool window or OS feature.
mik82

Post by mik82 »

IXix wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:02 pm
Sadly it crashes 32bit Buzz a few seconds after switching to the sequence editor and Buzz disappears with no message. When I try in Buzz 64, it tries to show some sort of window briefly then disappears. Tried with both the default theme and the Ilke Machines, same results.
Same behaviour here - it appears for a few seconds then Buzz quits with no error
wde

Post by wde »

mik82 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:15 am
IXix wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:02 pm
Same behaviour here - it appears for a few seconds then Buzz quits with no error
Maybe someone who has this issue could try to debug it.

Removed some code that is not needed. But I think it is not going to solve your problem.
IXix

Post by IXix »

wde wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:01 pmMaybe someone who has this issue could try to debug it.
I'm extremely busy breaking Magic again but if this problem persists when I come out the other side, I'll definitely have a crack at debugging.
Candle

Post by Candle »

IX, you're breaking Magic again :o I hope you don't get lost down too many rabbit holes :lol:

WDE: again, thank you for your continued improvements to Buzz's UI :!: :dance:

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Post by Candle »

WDE, is there a way to have a version of MSE that still has the seperate window? I like that it completely replaces the default Buzz Sequence Editor, but I also really liked the seperate window version. Would it be possible to add this as an attribute? i.e. being able to select either Window version or Built-In version?

Thanks in advance :)

See You In The Shadows…
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

already done :) open MSE window first.
MSE parameter Windows.png
MSE parameter Windows.png (147.68 KiB) Viewed 10223 times
Candle

Post by Candle »

Oh that's even simpler! Thanks HerrFornit :)

See You In The Shadows…
wde

Post by wde »

Fixes.
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

Oh man, so ready to go all in on this now that I can use the enter key to go back and forth. I found a wee bug when toggling different hint modes (note and midi specifically). I'm on Windows 7 and have .NET 4.6.1
mse-bug.jpg
mse-bug.jpg (204.75 KiB) Viewed 9973 times

Also notice it's a bit slow for me when I have the midi hints on; stopping and starting playback takes a second to refresh the screen.
wde

Post by wde »

Updates.
synthphase wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:04 pm Oh man, so ready to go all in on this now that I can use the enter key to go back and forth. I found a wee bug when toggling different hint modes (note and midi specifically). I'm on Windows 7 and have .NET 4.6.1
I can't reproduce this but I think I found the issue.
synthphase wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:04 pm Also notice it's a bit slow for me when I have the midi hints on; stopping and starting playback takes a second to refresh the screen.
Best would be to update pattern graphics as soon as pattern is edited but I haven't figured out how to do that. I agree that this is annoying so I changed it so that when you click play, MSE starts to gradually update the patterns. If you still experience issues, you can disable AutoUpdateEventHints and manually update the view pressing the button on top left.

Dev stuff:
Machine only need to implement IModernSequencerMachineInterface to draw to pattern box. Other steps mentioned previously can be ignored.
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

Ladies and gentlemen, for his next amazing trick, Wde the Astonishing will make my songs sound good! :D

One bug I've noticed: The textbox popup for "Set Time Signature" is relative to the currently "highlighted" block - which means that if this block is currently off-screen, the textbox is too, and the UI becomes semi-unresponsive until you press "enter".

Usually the currently-highlighted block jumps to cursor on right-click, but if you're right-clicking the far-left column, the currently-highlighted block remains wherever it was last (which imo is probably a good thing, one of those unintended GUI hiccups that can be utilized for useful purposes, like if you're using the highlighted block as a soft-bookmark and quickly want to open settings or export MIDI without losing your place).

Moving on to the not-bug stuff:

Out of curiosity, is there a way to get some shading in the new sequence editor? It'd be nice to have alternating shades every-four (or every-eight, or even every-six / every-thirteen for the real odd-meter freaks out there!) blocks, when lining things up.

Sample image:

Another "would-be-nice-if" (though I'm not sure if this is even feasible or not within the Buzz engine) is being able to drag the top/bottom edges of pattern blocks to extend pattern lengths. This would be absolutely SLICK with EnvBlock especially. If the Buzz engine doesn't allow for this, maybe an option in EnvBlock to automatically make a pattern that's the same length as the current loop length? Seems possibly more feasible, since AudioBlock kinda-sorta does something similar.
wde

Post by wde »

River Cricket wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:24 am One bug I've noticed: The textbox popup for "Set Time Signature" is relative to the currently "highlighted" block - which means that if this block is currently off-screen, the textbox is too, and the UI becomes semi-unresponsive until you press "enter".
Yeah, annoying. Should be fixed now. Plus some other fixes.
River Cricket wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:24 am Out of curiosity, is there a way to get some shading in the new sequence editor? It'd be nice to have alternating shades every-four (or every-eight, or even every-six / every-thirteen for the real odd-meter freaks out there!) blocks, when lining things up.
Now there is. Enable from settings.
River Cricket wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:24 am Another "would-be-nice-if" (though I'm not sure if this is even feasible or not within the Buzz engine) is being able to drag the top/bottom edges of pattern blocks to extend pattern lengths. This would be absolutely SLICK with EnvBlock especially. If the Buzz engine doesn't allow for this, maybe an option in EnvBlock to automatically make a pattern that's the same length as the current loop length? Seems possibly more feasible, since AudioBlock kinda-sorta does something similar.
Press ctrl and place mouse cursor to top/bottom of pattern box. Change snap length from settings. Haven't tested much though ;)

Edit: Fixes, might be slightly faster.