EnvelopeBlock

wde

EnvelopeBlock

Post by wde »

EnvelopeBlock is a control machine that can be used to automate any machine parameter. You need Modern Sequence Editor to edit envelopes. Unzip to Generators folder.

EnvBlock.gif
EnvBlock.gif (1.19 MiB) Viewed 14629 times
Attachments
EnvelopeBlock.zip
(34.1 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
EnvelopeBlock_src.zip
(39.75 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Last edited by wde on Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 22 times in total.
IXix

Re: EnvelopeBlock

Post by IXix »

Thanks! That looks really cool. :dance:
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Fantastic!! :dance: :dance: :dance:
mute

Post by mute »

THINGS DREAMS ARE MADE OF.
ags

Post by ags »

omg
polac

Post by polac »

Wow :dance:
rav

Post by rav »

We have this, thank you!
rav

Post by rav »

Bug allert. If you add 2 or more of the same pattern and make assignation not on the first pattern created, then its not refreshed throught the other copies. To refresh its needed to add patterns again to sequencer.

Please, add assign destinations for machines with multi tracks :)
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

wde, you are on an absolute ROLL here. :dance:
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

rav wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:55 pm Bug allert. If you add 2 or more of the same pattern and make assignation not on the first pattern created, then its not refreshed throught the other copies. To refresh its needed to add patterns again to sequencer.
May be it's related: playing the "note-envelope" for the VST agml, resulting in an arp by the way, I noticed unpredictable volume jumps, maybe not refreshes as you ve said? I had 2 pattern0 repeated in seq.
rav

Post by rav »

HerrFornit wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 am
rav wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:55 pm Bug allert. If you add 2 or more of the same pattern and make assignation not on the first pattern created, then its not refreshed throught the other copies. To refresh its needed to add patterns again to sequencer.
May be it's related: playing the "note-envelope" for the VST agml, resulting in an arp by the way, I noticed unpredictable volume jumps, maybe not refreshes as you ve said? I had 2 pattern0 repeated in seq.
I mean here, that only assignation slot is not refreshed through the other pattern copies.
Another little glitch. Copy functions gives System.Object position. Using copy function once gave me an error window.

I have tested automating notes and you have right, sometimes it loosing notes. Also in just one pattern loop here.
wde

Post by wde »

Fixes.

User can now select target track. Pretty cool with Polac adapter since you can automate multiple vst parameters.

Note works a bit differently so that is now handled separately.
rav

Post by rav »

wde wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:18 pm Fixes.

User can now select target track. Pretty cool with Polac adapter since you can automate multiple vst parameters.

Note works a bit differently so that is now handled separately.
Great, but now number of tracks are not refreshed if you add some more in the meantime :P

There are some error windows with Copy if you have only 1 pattern. Copy sources are also not refreshed if you add more patterns.
There are some error windows with Disable/Enable.
Length of automations after tempo changes are refreshed only if you re-add pattern or if you change zoom in sequencer.

Some ideas for future if you don't mind:
- automatic unfreez. maybe a setting option for it - manual/automatic
- showing more values on mouseover points instead only Decimal - HEX (DEC) VALUE from pattern editor would be great!
- possibility to edit/type value by rightclick on point for example
- automation param with modulation depth or something like that. Then it could be possible modulate short modulation pattern by long one and other peer machines - that would be sweet.
Joachip

Automation at last - this changes everything!

Post by Joachip »

Is this what I think it is? Proper automation? :dance:

I've wanted this for many many years! THANK YOU!

Okay, so I installed EnvBlock and the modern sequence editor (1.0.8), but I don't see the same right-click menu as on the anim gif. I just get this: (Left side of screenshot: Yours. | Right side of screenshot: Mine.)

EDIT: Aha! The right-click menu only shows up when right-clicking a pattern that is not currently active. Now I got the EnvBlock automation curves to show. Nothing happens when I try to edit them though. It's as if they're locked.

EDIT EDIT: They're in "freeze" mode by default. That tricked me a bit. I wonder if they shouldn't? I mean, most other DAWs and such don't enable lock/freeze by default when adding an automation curve. Apart from that I'm quite impressed how well this syncs up to Buzz and even uses the same skin/theme. Wow. The problem with the right-click menu not showing up when the pattern is active also made it tricky for me to figure out how to add new points. Maybe shift-clicking the curve should automatically add a new point?

A few small things I noticed:
1) When you grab a "node" and move it around, it loses its track of the mouse pointer if you accidentally move the pointer outside the pattern. I don't think it should lose track of the mouse until you release the left button.
2) The PgUp and PgDown keys don't behave like in Buzz own song editor (going up/down 16 times the current "Step" length, which is actually the zoom level).
3) The "Step" value (zoom level) is always 8 in the ModernSeq. Maybe this should follow Buzz?
4) Automations appear only to be evaluated once per tick. Could this be updated more often? Fast automations become a bit "steppy".

Final question: Can I add this to the buzz machines site please? This is fantastic!!!
Joachip

Tip: Automating a VST

Post by Joachip »

In case someone is wondering how to automat a VST parameter, here's how:

1) On one of the tracks of the VST, select the parameter to be automated by entering its number on the first row in the song.
2) Right-click the automation EnvBlock pattern, select the same VST and make sure you're automating the same track number.

For a more complete guide, go to https://buzzwiki.robotplanet.dk/index.p ... ion_Curves
wde

Post by wde »

rav wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:45 pm
Great, but now number of tracks are not refreshed if you add some more in the meantime :P

There are some error windows with Copy if you have only 1 pattern. Copy sources are also not refreshed if you add more patterns.
There are some error windows with Disable/Enable.
Length of automations after tempo changes are refreshed only if you re-add pattern or if you change zoom in sequencer.
Fixed, but a had to change quite many things so please test.
rav wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:45 pm Some ideas for future if you don't mind:
- automatic unfreez. maybe a setting option for it - manual/automatic
- showing more values on mouseover points instead only Decimal - HEX (DEC) VALUE from pattern editor would be great!
- possibility to edit/type value by rightclick on point for example
Add EnvelopeBlock to your project and go to View -> Settings. You can adjust some of these now.
Joachip wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:20 am Is this what I think it is? Proper automation? :dance:
I hope so! :)
Joachip wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:20 am Maybe shift-clicking the curve should automatically add a new point?
It's ctrl-click. But it works only if you have one parameter visible.
Joachip wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:20 am A few small things I noticed:
1) When you grab a "node" and move it around, it loses its track of the mouse pointer if you accidentally move the pointer outside the pattern. I don't think it should lose track of the mouse until you release the left button.
2) The PgUp and PgDown keys don't behave like in Buzz own song editor (going up/down 16 times the current "Step" length, which is actually the zoom level).
Yeah these have been known annoyances. Fixed.
Joachip wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:20 am 3) The "Step" value (zoom level) is always 8 in the ModernSeq. Maybe this should follow Buzz?
Maybe at some point. These settings are saved to song though so no need to readjust every time.
Joachip wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:20 am 4) Automations appear only to be evaluated once per tick. Could this be updated more often? Fast automations become a bit "steppy".

Final question: Can I add this to the buzz machines site please? This is fantastic!!!
Parameters should be updated several times per second. I increased the rate a bit. Buzz might control this somehow.

Yeah go ahead.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

Hey cool, 8-)

don't know if I have asked it before for Audioblock: The value of tooltip disappears while moving the point. It would be more comfortable to see it while moving the point.

Thanx!
HerrFornit

Re: Tip: Automating a VST

Post by HerrFornit »

Joachip wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:30 pm In case someone is wondering how to automat a VST parameter, here's how:

1) On one of the tracks of the VST, select the parameter to be automated by entering its number on the first row in the song.
2) Right-click the automation EnvBlock pattern, select the same VST and make sure you're automating the same track number.
Cool thanx,
For every recorded loop paramters are changed a bit. (?)
Automation.jpg
Automation.jpg (37.97 KiB) Viewed 14315 times
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

wde wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:05 pmIt's ctrl-click. But it works only if you have one parameter visible.
Ahh, that's why I didn't find out. I added 3 curves to begin with. I think this feature might be on my wish list: That it works when more than one curve is visible. It should probably just pick the closest one.
wde wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:05 pmYeah these have been known annoyances. Fixed.
Confirmed fixed. Thanks! :D
wde wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:05 pm
Joachip wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:20 am3) The "Step" value (zoom level) is always 8 in the ModernSeq. Maybe this should follow Buzz?
Maybe at some point. These settings are saved to song though so no need to readjust every time.
Alright fair enough. (It's okay if it's per-song. That probably even makes sense.)
wde wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:05 pm
Joachip wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:20 am4) Automations appear only to be evaluated once per tick. Could this be updated more often? Fast automations become a bit "steppy".
Parameters should be updated several times per second. I increased the rate a bit. Buzz might control this somehow.
It behaves just the same now. I guess it's Buzz itself having this limit. Oh well. Thanks for trying.

I'll add this to the Buzz site.
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

You should call Machine.SendControlChanges after SetValue to make buzz call CMachineInterface::Tick immediately. It might not work with old machines so you should check the machine interface version. See http://svn.jeskola.net/buzzgui/BuzzGUI. ... meterVM.cs