Menu flow left to right, on Windows 11 messed up

mute

Menu flow left to right, on Windows 11 messed up

Post by mute »

The menu flow for the right click context menus on all windows (default theme or my own or whatever) is messed up.

I went back through things and refreshed my xaml memory up to the point where I thought, hey'll I'll just specifically define FlowDirection on the entire Window element... but there's no such area in the themes.

Anyone got any ideas? I don't think this needs to be fixed in the windowing libraries, should be addressable directly in the xaml, I think.

For example, this is what it looks like on Win11 (no tablet mode or any of that garbage turned on in Windows,..so don't go that route, it's a Buzz issue)
menu1.png
menu1.png (34.78 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
mute

Re: Menu flow left to right, on Windows 11 messed up

Post by mute »

Don't have time to dig into this further right now and I don't remember enough on how to set the property without getting my hands way dirtier, but I'm pretty sure what's needed is

FlowDirection="LeftToRight" set on the Grid, "viewGrid"
IXix

Post by IXix »

Heh, been on Win 11 for months now and completely failed to notice that. :lol:
mute

Post by mute »

IXix wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:39 pm Heh, been on Win 11 for months now and completely failed to notice that. :lol:
It's driving me crazy.
IXix

Post by IXix »

mute wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:55 am It's driving me crazy.
Yeah, I can see why it would. Win11 sucks. :(
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Weird, it's regular left to right here on both default theme and my custom theme I've been using for both Win 10 & 11

Is there some sort of weird Windows locale/language set for right-to-left use that .net is grabbing ?!

EDIT: Just checking the obvious - It'll display the menu like in your example if you right-click near the far right hand side of the machine view and there's no room to the right for the next submenu. Presumably you're not doing that and there should be room to display the sub menu on the right ?
wde

Post by wde »

Have you tried this?
IXix

Post by IXix »

wde wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:53 am Have you tried this?
That fixed it for me, thanks.

Funny though, that page suggests that the backwards behaviour has been the default since Win10 but I've never seen it anywhere until this Buss issue with Win11. Weird. :?
mute

Post by mute »

yeah, i tried all of that and more before i made the post...

and where on the screen you click doesn't matter, it'll always go left first

Win10 has never been a problem (buzz's ui was made for win10 from the get go anyways)

The XAML can override and set desired behavior, I just haven't gotten back to it yet.

The right to left thing comes from tablet mode (because right handed ppls hands would block view of the menu), thats why it's mentioned for Win10, but it's never been the default for the regular desktop/mode. I saw that mentioned too... don't know if they just left out part of the description or what.

I could see how it could be a locale thing too.. reading wise makes sense. I'll check that too..
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

I wonder if I understand this issue correctly, but usually menus open to the right side - unless it's too close to the edge of the screen - in which case there's no space for the menu, and it opens up on the left side.

Example:
https://www.robotplanet.dk/f/buzzf/menu ... n_edge.mp4

Maybe Windows thinks you're close to the screen edge despite that not being the case. Are you using more than one display? Or maybe some sort of interesting screen manager?
IXix

Post by IXix »

Joachip wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:48 pmMaybe Windows thinks you're close to the screen edge despite that not being the case. Are you using more than one display? Or maybe some sort of interesting screen manager?
Not me, I'm on a laptop. Nothing fancy, single desktop but then again the registry tweak that wde linked to fixed it for me. Could window scaling be a factor perhaps? Mine's set to the deault 125%.
mute

Post by mute »

IXix wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:51 am
Joachip wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:48 pmMaybe Windows thinks you're close to the screen edge despite that not being the case. Are you using more than one display? Or maybe some sort of interesting screen manager?
Not me, I'm on a laptop. Nothing fancy, single desktop but then again the registry tweak that wde linked to fixed it for me. Could window scaling be a factor perhaps? Mine's set to the deault 125%.
The registry tweak changed it for me too, I had tried that before but maybe I didn't restart on that day.

FWIW though, this can be set in wpf/xaml on the window element using FlowDirection so that it wouldn't happen to anyone. That's what I was alluding to earlier instead of a fix/bandaid.. but I never got around to it myself

Thanks WDE for digging up that setting!