new pvst beta (updated 03-Dec-2023)

wde

Re: new pvst beta (updated 25-Oct-2021)

Post by wde »

Thanks!
polac

Post by polac »

I really hope the save bug is sorted out, fingers crossed.
skizzo

Post by skizzo »

@polac: You know my story - all things work perfectly, no more probs here!
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Never knew about the application until last year when I got a new (and rather troublesome to initially diagnose the fault) laptop, and got tech support to aid my repair via this tool - but since have got rather 'obsessed' with Window's built in app Reliability Monitor (more specifically getting a run of days without any kind of warning or critical events so the graph heads towards a fabled 10/10 score :D ). I notice that if I load Buzz with any new VST (or VSTi) installed since last loading (specifically new, rather than updates to older existing versions of the VST/i) that Reliability Monitor will always complain of a critical event claiming that scan.x64.exe has 'stopped working'.

There doesn't actually seem to be any visible problem, Polac will successfully scan that plugin and add it to my machine index, just wondering quite why Windows itself seems to kick up a fuss regarding what seems to be a non-issue. Does anyone else get this critical event logged in Reliability Monitor ?

Here's an example error log (Had just installed Black Rooster Audio - VPRE-73HE before launching Buzz). The plugin itself works perfectly and appears in the gear list:
Faulting application name: scan.x64.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ca48c8e
Faulting module name: VPRE-73HE.dll, version: 2.5.8.0, time stamp: 0x617175b7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f4655
Faulting process id: 0x88c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7cf75de5ab6df
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Jeskola\Buzz\bin64\scan.x64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Black Rooster Audio\VPRE-73HE.dll
Report Id: c22f0dce-d293-4a95-a783-550e7b661226
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
(apologies to those that have now also fallen for the compulsion of getting a 10/10 score run in Reliability Monitor!)
Last edited by mcbpete on Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wde

Post by wde »

polac wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:08 am I really hope the save bug is sorted out, fingers crossed.
I haven't had time to really stress test the new version but at least I haven't encountered issues with some of the bigger plugins. Looking good so far :)

One issue I noticed that might be easier to reproduce.
  1. Start Buzz 32, create a more complex song including many big VSTs.
  2. Add 64bit version of Ozone 8 Standard before Master and select some preset.
  3. Save song
  4. Load song.
  5. If problem occurred, then Ozone crashes when loading and I actually need to rename ozone dll/remove it so that I can load the song again. You might need to play around with the song machines to find correct combination.
Other things:
  • If you are able to create this reproducible setup then saving the song with Ozone 8 64bit and closing Buzz will not close vst.x64.dll process (hinting that something went wrong when saving).
  • Interestingly 32bit version of Ozone 8 will not reproduce this issue in the song where 64bit Ozone does.
Maybe this is Ozone issue and I'm fine using the 32 bit version just in case.
polac

Post by polac »

One issue I noticed that might be easier to reproduce.

Start Buzz 32, create a more complex song including many big VSTs.
Add 64bit version of Ozone 8 Standard before Master and select some preset.
Save song
Load song.
If problem occurred, then Ozone crashes when loading and I actually need to rename ozone dll/remove it so that I can load the song again. You might need to play around with the song machines to find correct combination.
I was not able to reproduce it here yet, but i only have Ozone 8 Elements installed here. I did save a project with 10 x64 plugins(both vst2 and vst3) and Ozone, all did load just fine here. However I did not edit/insert patterns in this scenario.
Last edited by polac on Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
polac

Post by polac »

mcbpete wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:01 pm Never knew about the application until last year when I got a new (and rather troublesome to initially diagnose the fault) laptop, and got tech support to aid my repair via this tool - but since have got rather 'obsessed' with Window's built in app Reliability Monitor (more specifically getting a run of days without any kind of warning or critical events so the graph heads towards a fabled 10/10 score :D ). I notice that if I load Buzz with any new VST (or VSTi) installed since last loading (specifically new, rather than updates to older existing versions of the VST/i) that Reliability Monitor will always complain of a critical event claiming that scan.x64.exe has 'stopped working'.

There doesn't actually seem to be any visible problem, Polac will successfully scan that plugin and add it to my machine index, just wondering quite why Windows itself seems to kick up a fuss regarding what seems to be a non-issue. Does anyone else get this critical event logged in Reliability Monitor ?

Here's an example error log (Had just installed Black Rooster Audio - VPRE-73HE before launching Buzz). The plugin itself works perfectly and appears in the gear list:
Faulting application name: scan.x64.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5ca48c8e
Faulting module name: VPRE-73HE.dll, version: 2.5.8.0, time stamp: 0x617175b7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f4655
Faulting process id: 0x88c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7cf75de5ab6df
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Jeskola\Buzz\bin64\scan.x64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Vstplugins\Black Rooster Audio\VPRE-73HE.dll
Report Id: c22f0dce-d293-4a95-a783-550e7b661226
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
(apologies to those that have now also fallen for the compulsion of getting a 10/10 score run in Reliability Monitor!)
It's odd it only happens with scan.x64.exe and not with the scan.exe, they are both the same codewise.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Thank you polac for version 39.
It did fix problems :dance:
rav

Post by rav »

We are now attacked with VST3 plugins from everywhere, without old, good VST2 dll's. I like to keep all my plugins in one place (Buzz folder), but this Common Files path to VST3 make it a little bit messy. Is it possible to add Buzz VST path and also custom paths to VST3 scanner? With possibility to not to scann this Common Files path by default... Would be very nice :)
rav

Post by rav »

Is audio input to VST3 instruments working for you? New version of Surge XT is released only in VST3 format and it's not possible to use as FX in VST3 format. Tried in another DAW and it works.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

rav wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:11 am Is audio input to VST3 instruments working for you? New version of Surge XT is released only in VST3 format and it's not possible to use as FX in VST3 format. Tried in another DAW and it works.
I'm able to get it to load up but I can't get the dropdown menu at the top to show anything other than "Delay"... it just doesn't pop up the menu at all.
domtron

Post by domtron »

Scanning "for new" gave me loads of problems. An all updated Windows 11 has problems to start "Child processes". Be careful if you want to scan plugins. Net Framework is a mess on Windows 11. Otherwise, you need to hammer the Buzz exe to actually let Windows 11 find "the Child" by accident :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2829

For now I leave Buzz open.
polac

Re: new pvst beta (updated 07-Jul-2022)

Post by polac »

Hi, did a small update, vst3's without a gui should work properly now, also some parameters did not react on tweakings.
polac

Post by polac »

domtron wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:10 pm Scanning "for new" gave me loads of problems. An all updated Windows 11 has problems to start "Child processes". Be careful if you want to scan plugins. Net Framework is a mess on Windows 11. Otherwise, you need to hammer the Buzz exe to actually let Windows 11 find "the Child" by accident :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2829

Cannot test under Windows 11 as my pc doesn't meet the requirements and I don't plan to buy a new pc for the next 2-3 years.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

polac wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:10 am Cannot test under Windows 11 as my pc doesn't meet the requirements and I don't plan to buy a new pc for the next 2-3 years.
yeah, such a dumb decision by microsoft, great way to not get your thrid party software ported / tested to the new OS. also have multiple machines here that don't meet the requirement, and i'm not going to move my daily driver (which does) over to an unfinished piece of crap until a few years in anyway...
skizzo

Post by skizzo »

New version works like a charm - thanks! :dance:
domtron

Post by domtron »

polac wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:10 am
domtron wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:10 pm Scanning "for new" gave me loads of problems. An all updated Windows 11 has problems to start "Child processes". Be careful if you want to scan plugins. Net Framework is a mess on Windows 11. Otherwise, you need to hammer the Buzz exe to actually let Windows 11 find "the Child" by accident :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2829

Cannot test under Windows 11 as my pc doesn't meet the requirements and I don't plan to buy a new pc for the next 2-3 years.
I don't think it has nesserarily something to do with Windows 11. I killed the VST scanning process ( actually Buzz itself ) from the Task Manager because I thought it took too long for me at that day and that caused the crash. "temporalsounds" had the same problem and that was probably on Windows 10.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2829

I noticed in the Windows Reliability Monitor, when executing a full scan, the scan.exe was crashing and restarting 18 times for about a span of 6 minutes :D

I'm using Windows 11 since October 2021 and went with AMD ( 5900x ) It's the first Computer I own that has no problems with lower latency and is surprisingly energy efficient, "performance per watt " wise and I'm not missing any more processing power.
What IS confusing, are the Microsoft reports, like "my net framework is broken and can not be repaired" when Buzz did not start. Which isn't the case at all.
Imo the Task Manager isn't accurate. The power saving profiles are not working as they should ( but the computer is sleeping when not in use, so it's not a big deal )

Microsoft came back to me through the Feedback Hub and asked me what's the trouble. I have not really an idea what to answer but it seems that they tuned the whole system more for Intel processors anyway.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

domtron wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:40 am I don't think it has nesserarily something to do with Windows 11. I killed the VST scanning process ( actually Buzz itself ) from the Task Manager because I thought it took too long for me at that day and that caused the crash. "temporalsounds" had the same problem and that was probably on Windows 10.
Yeah I remember on my old laptop (running Win 10) when I added my VST folder to Buzz it took a real long time to start on first restart (by long time around 10 minutes) but was fine afterwards. Back then I didn't know about Reliability Monitor so I can't check it it was the multiple restarts of scan.x64.exe in the same way as I know it does on W11
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

domtron wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:10 pm I don't think it has nesserarily something to do with Windows 11. I killed the VST scanning process ( actually Buzz itself ) from the Task Manager because I thought it took too long for me at that day and that caused the crash. "temporalsounds" had the same problem and that was probably on Windows 10.
Hi.I had this issue on Windows 7 64 time ago,because of shell plugins.
When I wasn't sure ,if the problem is in Buzz ,I installed for example another DAW for free and rescan plugins in this DAW again.
Reaper offers info about scanning plugins when load.Nice.
I think ,these V13 Waves shell plugins don't support Windows 8.1,so I'm using V11 shell plugins in Buzz for now. :cry:
image:
EDIT:
Here with AMD Ryzen7 it takes first scanning Waves plugins in Buzz about 15 minutes. :roll: :roll:
Grids

Post by Grids »

Hi,

I have been having lots of problems with a combo of 32 bit, 64 bit, VST2, VST3, VSTs with large sample libraries etc...on my new set up.

I have posted separately here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2900 as I think this is bigger than Polac but just posting here in case anyone has reflections.

Essentially, I want to work out what the most stable framework is to start from, as what I am doing now is not functioning at all and has started to crash Buzz 80% of the time in the first ten seconds.