dm - all that's mine mix

mute

dm - all that's mine mix

Post by mute »

did a pretty quick mix of the new dm b-side, all that's mine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IPeBl44qXw

flat

Re: dm - all that's mine mix

Post by flat »

html5, please (can't use flash player)...
...or mp3?
Last edited by flat on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

haven't had a chance to check out the song yet, but that theme is lust inducing.

any chance you'd make an attempt to explain the logic behing the machine groupings? I'm most interested in the top group that ends in the multiband compressor. the routing boggles my mind a bit. :lol:
mute

Post by mute »

Top tree: The multiband is there because that's all bass instrumentation. Basically, none of the instruments over-lap and all play as one bass synth. Philthy (with L/R phasing set high) is split into center/hard left/hard right panning for the pan effects pre-compressor so when it comes out of the compressor even though there are hard panned delays/filtering effects it all still physically belongs to the same sound instead of sounding seperated. The panning is also complimented by automated/sequenced panning in the patterns on the individual instruments. Temp is pre-compressor freq shaping to drive the compressor how I want it, EQ after compressor is abusive tonal shaping.

The bottom tree is a C/L/R custom delay pan gating effect using a short cross delay with heavy feedback and the crazy patterns in rhythmgate (sync controlled in machine patterns), driven hard into the limiter. The output is very very low.. I use that chain alot for ambient fx (in which case I up the delay length and add reverb to it) or very light background variance/movement.

Everything else is pretty straight forward.

If you're wondering why theres no Master compression before the final output - I grew up and stopped creaming over magicalized software compressors before master output a good 5 years ago. I tend to only use compression musicially and then in the final mastering stage which I do outside of Buzz, but much typically isnt needed. Too many people get carried away with that garbage and use them wrong/improperly or lazily as some kind of fix all to get their levels up (aka "m8, do you even compress?"). I carefully take care of my levels as I'm mixing/producing and avoid silly things like using a kick that steps on the frequencies of my bass (or vice-versa)... when you do that compressors tend to be more of a freq space/dynamics nightmare and instead act as a tool you use for very specific individual things.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

excellent explanation. thanks! :D