New contest : The 500 kb bmw Summer Solstice Contest

magmavander

Re: New contest : The 500 kb bmw Summer Solstice Contest

Post by magmavander »

You can upload the zip album to BuzzTunes.
You're not late at all, the end of the contest is the 21st of June. Well, some days before would be cool because
I'm am thinking also about the mp3 version of the songs. At buzztunes it would be cool too but I would like that people can access each mp3 version of the albums ine one place (access by album).
Maybe Shytan have a solution for that ?
I will also upload the zip and mp3 to the archives.org, like the great 60x60 Buzz Compilation (which was an awesome contest, I just listened to it yesterday again and I hope the bmw session will be as good).
vinnie pine

Post by vinnie pine »

Still working on this, finding it interesting to work within restrictions for a change.
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

Sounds like fun; can't see myself producing an entire album by then but it'll be interesting to stay away from samples . . .
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

to clarify, is the whole album supposed to be .bmx 500kb zipped? or is each person to submit a <=500kb zipped album?

I have my submission song almost done, with only 18 machines and at about 5 minutes, the bmx is 112 kb. :o

so if each person submits an album, i could come up with another song and make it a 2 track ep, but if my song should fit into the whole album, perhaps it should be smaller.

sadly my idea of "jeskola live click anything and sound like ur awesome" didn't work out, that's a project for another day. but i do have a pretty decent song to show for it. :D

trying to keep it small definitely provoked me into using new sounds and new machines in different ways than i would have before.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

szaszhareen wrote:to clarify, is the whole album supposed to be .bmx 500kb zipped? or is each person to submit a <=500kb zipped album?
Each person is making a bmw album. After being zipped, the whole album should not exceed 500kb 8-) The album is minimum 6 songs. You can use older songs, you dont have to write new songs. But you can :mrgreen:
szaszhareen wrote:trying to keep it small definitely provoked me into using new sounds and new machines in different ways than i would have before.
Yeah! That's why I always liked the contest idea. The rules push your limits and gives you very useful experiences.

Last Day of submit : 22 of june :shock:
xenobioz

Post by xenobioz »

My six tunes are ready. Half of them are just old songs that I did not change anything on. The rest were unfinished ones that I finally managed to get done. Interesting, how a an almost finished song that was only 30kb went to 70kb when I doubled the length of a few 16 step patterns.

Should we upload the mp3s to buzztunes as well, or wait for a better solution?
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Cool Xeno 8-) :D
You can upload the zipped album to BuzzTunes now. I will contact Shytan about the mp3. Of course you can upload these mp3 in one rush at BT but I would like to have all the mp3 of the contest in one place to avoid having to search them.
When all album (mp3 + bmw) are uploaded I will put it at web archives.
cbasstn

Post by cbasstn »

Hi guys, really nice idea! :) One question tho: does the used Buzz version (new Buzz/ old Buzz) matter?

Sunny greetings
Sebastian
thOke

Post by thOke »

I'm in the process to compile my album. MP3s to archive.org and buzztunes, zipped buzzfiles posted here and at buzztunes is cool, i think.

@cbasstn: if you ask me both buzz versions are ok, because new buzz can open almost anything (except the old built-in machines, of course)
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

cbasstn wrote:Hi guys, really nice idea! :) One question tho: does the used Buzz version (new Buzz/ old Buzz) matter?

Sunny greetings
Sebastian
Thanks and welcome!! The buzz version doesnt matter of course :)
th0ke wrote:MP3s to archive.org and buzztunes, zipped buzzfiles posted here and at buzztunes
I agree with that :D Even the zipped files could be posted at archives.org.
th0ke, have you created an account at archives.org ?
We should put all the files in one place at archives.org.
thOke

Post by thOke »

magmavander wrote: th0ke, have you created an account at archives.org ?
We should put all the files in one place at archives.org.
Yes, we should. No, i didn't create any account there yet. Should be easy, no ?
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

If I remember well I have an account at archives.org.
I will wait til all the albums are uploaded here and at BuzzTunes and then upload all at archives :D
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Oh yeah the 60x60... I was 3:00-4:00 on that one :)

I had terrible production skills back then.
Shytan

Post by Shytan »

Hi all!

It will be great if you post your zipped BMWs at BuzzTunes. Please upload your files (bmw and mp3) in a regular manner with a note in song comment or a prefix in title itself "500Kb bmw contest" and I will gradually aggregate them all on a separate page "Contests". It'll be static for now, a temporary solution, but I will come up with some backend for the next event (commenting, votes etc). If it's OK with you, guys, plz feel free to use BT to store your stuff.

I'd be glad to participate myself, but,.. not enough material, too little time :(
rajmond

Post by rajmond »

this is cool. I'm so dependant on VST's this days it will be cool to go back and do something like you did in the beginning of time and try to recreate your sound. but no samples? I get this right?
rajmond

Post by rajmond »

also, an album is pretty much. one song takes time enough... :/ Don't have time to go over a bunch of old songs and make them all buzz.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

rajmond wrote:also, an album is pretty much. one song takes time enough... :/ Don't have time to go over a bunch of old songs and make them all buzz.
I think that a lot of us (me included) will make it like you : new songs + old songs (old bmw or old bmx converted to bmw).
Anyway, welcome to the contest rajmond 8-) And thanks!!
PS : no samples.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Thanks Shytan!!!
I think that the title of the zip and of all the mp3 should start with 500kb bmw contest
By example my zip will be called : 500kb bmw contest - No ferrari allowed.zip and the title of all mp3 will start the same, like : 500kb bmw contest - Hymalaya.mp3
xenobioz

Post by xenobioz »

Do I have to convert bmw even if there is no samples?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

i don't wanna crush your party and all, but after this contest (and more work on the wavetable) is done we gotta make the opposite:
ONLY samples allowed contest (maybe with some size limit too) :)
Time to cram out those oldsch0ol tracker skillsets and hope matilde doesn't crash on every other command used ;)