FAWM 2021 starting in a couple of weeks

Candle

FAWM 2021 starting in a couple of weeks

Post by Candle »

Some of you may remember that every year I participate in the online songwritting challenge: February Album Writing Month (FAWM). The challenge is to write & record demos for 14 songs in the 28 days of February. The challenge sounds daunting, but the trick is these are demos - not finished pieces. They can even be sketches. Of course, if you want to post a fully mastered song, there's no one stopping you. There's a great community that is super-friendly & supportive. The community also offers chances to collaborate, to partisipate in skirmishes & even offers sub-challenges to help keep you inspired. I've been doing FAWM since 2010 & it's really helped me focus my inspiration & build a catalogue of songs that have continued to inspire me to experiment & develop new techniques. I've even been known to step outside of my comfort zone & do songs in genres you'd never believe I'd tackle (e.g. I did a Drum & Bass tune a year ago :o ). All in all, it's a fun challenge that is one of the highlights of my year.

It would be great to see more Buzzers Rok'n FAWM. If you're interested, check out the site: www.fawm.org . Even just register to listen to new songs & comment. There's many members who do just that.

Maybe I'll see you FAWMing! :D

See You In The Shadows…
IXix

Re: FAWM 2021 starting in a couple of weeks

Post by IXix »

Album in a month? I can barely manage one per decade! :lol:
Candle

Post by Candle »

I double FAWMed (I wrote 30 songs) & double 50/90'd (wrote 100 songs) last year. It was a non-stop song-writing marathon. You have to remember, FAWM & 50/90 aren't about finished songs (Mixed, Mastered & ready to press to your favourite media), it's about getting a demo recorded & then moving on to developing the next thread of inspiration. With luck, your Muse goes into overdrive (like mine did last year). At worst, you get a few ideas to build on & develop further. It's a personal challenge (not a competition) designed to inspire. And as I said, the community is amazingly friendly & supportive (sort of like this one :D )

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Post by Candle »

FAWM starts Monday. There's still time to sign up & get involved.

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Post by Candle »

So we're a week into FAWM & already a strange thing has happened. It sort of started on the FAWM forums when someone started a thread asking FAWMers to come up with new made-up genres. I suggested "Slothcore" which I defined as:
Slothcore - very slow (like 20 - 40bpm) , dirty & with long pauses to simulate naps. Perfect music for that overworked college/university student in your life.
Well, somehow this made-up genre has taken off with a bit of a storm on the site. There's an ever-expanding list of FAWMers making Slothcore tracks. :o Including me. So, to give you a taste, here's my contribution to this genre I seem to have invented (created using Buzz of course!):

Burning The Midnight Oil (Or: Learning To Sing…)

You can check out all the FAWM 2021 Slothcore tunes here:

https://fawm.org/songs/tags/slothcore/

Comments & reactions most certainly welcome!

See You In The Shadows…
IXix

Post by IXix »

Candle wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:26 pmI suggested "Slothcore"
Sloths are great. Stole the show in Zootropolis.

I feel your track is a bit too hectic though. :lol:
Candle

Post by Candle »

:lol: Thanks IX!

See You In The Shadows…