How can you get multiple MIDI devices to work simultaniously

1000xYearSentry

How can you get multiple MIDI devices to work simultaniously

Post by 1000xYearSentry »

I didn't have enough space for a question mark.

I'm trying to hook up two MIDI keyboards so me and my brother can play at the same time, but Buzz seems to only allow one keyboard at a time. Is there something I'm missing, or is it really one at a time?
onecircles

Re: How can you get multiple MIDI devices to work simultanio

Post by onecircles »

Buzz only allows one midi device to communicate with it directly. To use multiple midi devices, you have a few options. (I use 3 midi devices)

You can merge their input in software using midiox/midiyoke or other similar, newer, software. In this case you'll both have to control the same machine, but I believe you could work around this limitation using ix split.

If your midi equipment supports it, you may be able to plug one into the other and merge their signals, (all of my midi equipment can do this), but is likely only going to work if you can connect your equipment together using midi cables, not usb.

You can download and install the polac vsti loaders and use polac midi in to route additional midi equipment to whatever machines you may desire, but you must load an instance of the polac vst machine and then use it to open the machine you want to control.

Hope that helps, good luck!
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

onecircles wrote:You can download and install the polac vsti loaders and use polac midi in to route additional midi equipment to whatever machines you may desire, but you must load an instance of the polac vst machine and then use it to open the machine you want to control.
Oh really????!!! You learn something new every day. :)

Edit: I think I may have misunderstood you. I don't see any way of assigning a different MIDI device, just a MIDI channel (which is the same functionality as Buzz has built in).
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Explore the right click menu of midi in :D
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

If you mean right click -> Midi Input, that just sets the midi channel, not the midi device.

Edit... maybe Polac Midi In.... nm... I think I figured it out.

Sadly you can't go Midi In -> Polac VSTi (with IX Split) and then map IX Split to anything, because IX Split requires access to Buzz directly to get the right click menu.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

mridlen wrote:Sadly you can't go Midi In -> Polac VSTi (with IX Split) and then map IX Split to anything, because IX Split requires access to Buzz directly to get the right click menu.
Wut?

Anyway: Polac Midi In -> Polac Midi Bus II -> IX Split -> almost anything
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

I have three controllers and I use MidiTrix (freeware) for routing them all into one/Buzz. Works like a charm.
Just remember to turn it off if you are using another DAW that allows multiple MIDI inputs, as it will then record doubles/multiples of midi-notes, etc:
http://www.hermannseib.com/english/miditrix.htm

Or if you want hardware you can get one of these (m-audio/midiman MidiSport 2x2) for cheap, used: