Saturn 1.4 beta

Joachip

Saturn 1.4 beta

Post by Joachip »

Anyone is welcome to give this some testing. There's a new "noise type" slider now, with some procedural noise generators besides the good old vinyl noise one, which now also supports other samplerates (anything from appx. 15 to 110 khz).

Download it now! <-- edited for official version
mute

Re: Saturn 1.4 beta

Post by mute »

yeeeeesssss :) planetary series moar.
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

Woooh! Nice!
Will try at the weekend!
IXix

Post by IXix »

:dance:
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Tnanks in advance 8-)
I will check it.
Joachip

A very silly demo

Post by Joachip »

This little weird demo isn't too representative, but demonstrates a strangeness I found in the reverb part, and I think it's sort of cool. It may sound different at samplerates other than 96000 hz because I'm really tweaking it really hard here...

mp3 demo : : bmx file
mute

Post by mute »

yep.. that's one of saturn's many charms :)
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Please re-download.
I've updated the original link to the machine.
Mozart von Robot

Post by Mozart von Robot »

It's got that signature Joachim messiness to it. Weird stuff happening in the higher register, reverb sometimes cutting off a bit sharply at the end (here especially noticeable when run through a Joachims Overdrive set to Active, 0, 64, 64, 74)... I don't know how deliberate that is, but there's a kind of charm to it.
Honestly, I don't think I've made anything in Buzz that didn't have at least one Joachim machine in it for quite some time. And it's rarely only one.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I'm liking the different noise types! :dance:
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Where did the file go?

Getting this:
Page not found

Lost in The Wired
Sunshine, yet all is darkness
Your Navi was wrong

You may consider trying this link: /t2
You could also just go to the main page
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Whoops, sorry. Placed it here now:

http://buzz.robotplanet.dk/machineinfo.php?id=7800
tinga

Post by tinga »

"A taste of summer:
Banana albatros taste
We don't serve that here"

A Haiku?
esp81

Post by esp81 »

This is a really nice effect! The different noise types are great.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

tinga wrote:"A taste of summer:
Banana albatros taste
We don't serve that here"

A Haiku?
Yes. It's my 404 page. :)
IXix

Post by IXix »

Joachip wrote:Yes. It's my 404 page. :)
Too cool. 8-)
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Oh, by the way version 1.4 is official now, and has 13 new types of noise.

http://www.robotplanet.dk/files/audiode ... _noise.mp3
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I work a lot with noise floors of my own recording (I record every buzz or whine I can find on my phone). Is there a way you can make it so that I can load a sample and use that instead?
mute

Post by mute »

mridlen wrote:I work a lot with noise floors of my own recording (I record every buzz or whine I can find on my phone). Is there a way you can make it so that I can load a sample and use that instead?
You can actually do that.. I did it with the original Saturn. I forget the format though.. took a few guesses IIRC. There is a .raw file located in your effects directory. Doing so might cause you problems over time though if you lose/misplace/replace the file.. not to mention you couldn't share the bmx without carefully sharing your raw file as well.

Not sure how the raw file works for 1.4, but I'm sure its the same but with several indexes instead of just 1.

TLDR; I agree, this would be a cool feature.

You could of course, just feed your own noise source directly into Saturn and basically achieve the same thing.. though, that's a bit dishonest because there is obviously some kind of triggering (maybe just a entertainingly crude envelope follower) that occurs with the saturn noise effect, which makes it very musical/rhythmic and fun so yeah.. I agree with you whole heartedly :)

I mean... listen how ALIVE this thing is.
http://lazytrap.com/mp3/saturn.mp3
.. I mean honestly, I could loop that bmx for like 20 minutes and not get tired of it.

That is just a kick going through saturn with the noise effect (dark brown) + some room level. I'm not tweaking any settings or using any other effect within Saturn. theres no modulation of any type going on. This is one of the many reasons I love Joa so much. so so much. SOMUCHILUBUJOA. So much hidden character and nuances in all your effects.

Saturn Pro would be an interesting idea. Let us select a wav from the wave table or something and expose the threshold and decay or something for that follower..or wtf ever it is =P
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Thanks, mute! And wonderful noise use there! Why didn't I think of that approach. Way cool.

But yeah, you pretty much anticipated whatever I could say about this, because feeding a separate piece of noise into Saturn would yield rather similar results, except for the crude "envelope" which is actually just a simple gate with no attack and some fade-out. If you decide to do this (using any sample player you like), make sure the noise loop doesn't re-trigger at predictable intervals. It should loop entirely out of sync with the song tempo. There's also an attribute to leave it open if you want that.

So yes, you can still replace the .raw file becase it's just a simple stereo 16-bit pcm file recorded at 96 khz sample rate... no weird indexes.

But if you replace it, you might become incompatible with anyone else using the vinyl noise mode in Saturn because the sound would change. I mean, imagine someone expected it to add vinyl crackles, and you put in frogs instead!? :lol: And your old songs will change too. So think twice before replacing it. ;) Again, I'd suggest simply mixing in your own noise, if my 13 modes don't cut it.

I guess I should find out how to access the wavetable - e.g. by looking into the mtrk code.

PS: The only noise mode that uses the .raw file is the "Vinyl" one. The other ones are generated real-time.