Buzz / DAW sync

thepr0f

Buzz / DAW sync

Post by thepr0f »

Hi all,

SOS!

I have been looking for some way of syncing a tracker with my DAW of choice (Nuendo in this case). I am a Buzz user so it makes sense that I go with what I know, but I can't figure out whether such a link (clock / bpm / start & stop) would be possible.

I have also explored using Redux VST natively in Nuendo but Redux falls short as it doesn't include a pattern sequencer - "phrases" (patterns) need to be triggered by midi notes. Renoise has a pattern sequencer but isn't a VST of course. I also looked at reViSiT but found the interface prohibitively horrible.

The ultimate aim is to be able to have pattern-sequenced tracker drums alongside recorded instruments, all on the same clock so that external arpeggiators can sync to the session and all playable at once by a single press of the space bar.

Is any of this remotely possible? Am I even making sense?
ags

Re: Buzz / DAW sync

Post by ags »

MSync : http://buzz.robotplanet.dk/machineinfo.php?id=7928

So, you'd have MIDI clock from Nuendo (dunno how to get it send that, I don't use Nuendo)
-> LoopBe or some other virtual MIDI cable
-> MSync (right click it to open the menu & select the right MIDI port)

and to get the Buzz audio into Nuendo, use Polac ASIO and http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
Last edited by ags on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
ags

Post by ags »

For Renoise, you should sync it with Rewire assuming Nuendo has that feature.
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

ags wrote:Does this still work http://buzz.robotplanet.dk/machineinfo.php?id=7928 in current Buzz ?

So, you'd have MIDI clock from Nuendo (dunno how to get it send that, I don't use Nuendo)
-> LoopBe or some other virtual MIDI cable
-> MSync (right click it to open the menu & select the right MIDI port)

and to get the Buzz audio into Nuendo, use Polac ASIO and http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
Thank you! For the longest of time I've tried to figure it out. I once (2005 or thereabouts) managed to sync Cubase with Buzz, but since then I haven't been able to sync them. For some reason I had for forgotten about Hsync and was missing the little bugger.
Thank you!
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

thepr0f

Post by thepr0f »

Thanks for the advice all.

I had some success getting Buzz audio into my DAW using Virtual Audio Cable and ASIO4ALL.

I set up MSync but it reported that I was using a bad TPB setting in Buzz, even though my TPB was on 4 - one of the acceptable values according to the documentation. So I dunno what's happening there. Curiously when I open a blank Buzz project on my laptop, MSync doesn't mind my TPB, however it can't find a midi device. Sigh.

They were talking though - as in when I told Nuendo to send its midi clock data to Buzz MSync using LoopBe, Buzz (with it's apparently incorrect TPB setting) would crash. I count this as some success!

What about the other way round? Is there a machine in Buzz I could use to set it as MIDI master and send clock data to my DAW?

ReWire I haven't got my head around yet. Is it available as a stand-alone and if so where do I get it from?
Could JACK do the same job?

I feel like I'm getting close. I'm a little bit surprised there isn't a simple (and usable) VST implementation of tracker-in-DAW around.

Thanks again!
ags

Post by ags »

thepr0f wrote:it can't find a midi device. Sigh.
Dunno what's up with the crash or the tpb thing, but this could be that Buzz itself has got the MIDI device open ? Check it's not selected in the Buzz preferences.
thepr0f wrote:ReWire I haven't got my head around yet. Is it available as a stand-alone and if so where do I get it from?
Could JACK do the same job?
Nah it's a feature that has to be built in to a DAW (or in Buzz' case, plugged in via that machine). Looks like both Nuendo and Buzz can only be Rewire masters and not slaves, so that's no good in your case*
thepr0f wrote:I feel like I'm getting close. I'm a little bit surprised there isn't a simple (and usable) VST implementation of tracker-in-DAW around.
Revisit revisit. Guess you're not from the impulse tracker school though.

*or mine, since last time I tried when a DAW like Reaper is slaved, it can't record from the Soundcard's inputs...
mute

Post by mute »

polac midi send can send midi clock or midi time code (better for hosts than clock & can include position), etc and imo, its the most accurate and reliable. you'd need to use a midi loopback device o/c..

i havent touched any other buzz midi out generator/machine since polac introduced his midi plugin