What's your favourite reverbs and why?

AndersBrontosaurus

What's your favourite reverbs and why?

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

I still don't find much time to really dig deep into musicmaking and techniques. I do however spend a few minutes every day reading up on various free VST's. I download them, start a new song and experiment with them. However I tend to revert to the old favourites like LarsHa Funkyverb, FSM Philthy and PanzerDelay, Jeskola Raverb...

I'd really like to ask you what's your favourite or standard go-to reverbs? I know, it's all about taste but still. If anybody would care to elaborate what native or VST reverbs you prefer (and why you use them) I would gladly read about it.
mik82

Re: What's your favourite reverbs and why?

Post by mik82 »

I tend to use Ambience by Smart Electronix (VST)
I've used it for ages, doesn't use up too much CPU, has lots of configurability. It's free.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Actually i use Joachims UranusB6, because I find that is the cleanest reverb in Buzz, very clear parameters (more than Fuzzpilz verbiage), and a very good sound quality , also sometime Freeverb3 vst.
AndersBrontosaurus

mik82 wrote:I tend to use Ambience by Smart Electronix (VST)
I've used it for ages, doesn't use up too much CPU, has lots of configurability. It's free.
Yes. I've tried it. It's supposed to be both good and popular. Guess I should pay closer attention.
tinga wrote:Actually i use Joachims UranusB6, because I find that is the cleanest reverb in Buzz, very clear parameters (more than Fuzzpilz verbiage), and a very good sound quality , also sometime Freeverb3 vst.
Yes! Thank you for reminding me! I had completely forgotten about it. It's gone missing from my setup for some reason. Newest version is uranusB8 by the way.
Unfortunately it's a delay though. Not a reverb.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

when i'm using buzz, I strictly use larsha funkyverb and jeskola raverb. they require so little tweaking that they seem almost sorcerous. i'm continually disappointed when using other reverbs in fancy licensed DAWs and hardware. I've been spoiled by these two magical machines. :)
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

HD Halyverb mainly. It seems complicated at first but its very powerful. A gem...
AndersBrontosaurus

Halyverb, Funkyverb and Raverb. That's the ones I like too. :-)
Guess i just stick to them and stop wasting time hunting other ones on bedroomproducersblog.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

magmavander wrote:HD Halyverb mainly. It seems complicated at first but its very powerful. A gem...
that one does turn up in all of your bmx! XD

yeah anders for sure - the BRP is just an endless distraction. we have the best three reverbs ever right here in buzz - why look further? we are so blessed.
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

Reverb is definitelty a taste thing, meaning that a lot of times its the smaller, less flashy ones that deliver that beautiful, rich room and depth.
The three that come to mind right away are D16 toraverb, Toneboosters Reverb, and u-he Protoverb. All three have very thick, rich sound, more musical reverbs than the surgical room simulators, definitely my go-to's.
Also Reaktor Prism has an insanely good sounding reverb module as part of the effects section, just one of those things you got to hear to believe.
Some convolution reverbs are amazing too. Hybridreverb 2 is great!
Zwei Kreise

Post by Zwei Kreise »

Sonic Verb is my go-to one. Not a lot of parameters but all of them are very explicit and their impact on the sound is immediately palpable, it has a nice physicality to it and I find it to be the one with the more interesting texture. The reverb in Fuzzpilz' Oatmeal sounds beautiful as well, I wish it would be available as a standalone reverb but since Oatmeal is an excellent synth it's not such a problem.

Also use the M30 reverb by TC Electronic quite a lot, which is a vst that was free for a while. Even less parameters but it sounds really smooth and I quite like it. The HALYverb is another favorite, though sometimes I don't use it because I don't feel like I need this fine of a control over the space, but every time I want a more precise reverb I use this one.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

I must admit, I don't think the native buzz reverbs are really keeping up with what's going on in the commercial VST world, and being a great fan of reverb, I've gone commercial on this.

Best and most versatile reverb: ArtsAcoustics Reverb.
Best bang for the buck: ValhallaDSP Plate (at just $50).

These two have pretty much replaced my previous favorites, Lexicon LexPlate/LexHall and CSR Studio Reverb, which are also quite good though. CSR is the one that has the lowest density of all these, so doing very short reverbs on transients with this is rarely a good idea. It's still better than TC's M30 though. The M30 is pretty much only good for very long and clean semi-unnatural reverbs that need a lot of "crystal" feel to them.

When it comes to hardware, Lexicon LXP-1 (with the controller thingie attached) is very nice for short reverbs. Anything by TC is great for long clean spaceous reverbs. Ensoniq DP-4 is great for odd reverbs that have "character", and Eventide Harmonizer H3000 and H3500 are great for special effects, outer space stuff, huge cathedrals that change shape when the LSD kicks in etc.

Buzz native: If you really have to, I think tou can get some bearable results from LarsHa FunkyVerb, but I think SonicVerb is still slightly ahead. But you usually have to "help" these two to get a proper result.
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

My "fire-and-forget" reverb is HD HALVerb - plunk it in the chain and forget it, it adds a modicum of that 1980s gloss. Honestly don't have the patience to wrap my head fully around all its various parameters, but the default usually works fine for me.

Funkyverb, for me, either works or it doesn't - pretty much the nature of the beast. On some synths / patterns it sounds out-of-this-world good, on others it just sounds " :lol: :? ".

Sonic Verb was my old go-to - I still use it from time to time, but more for "effect" than for "reverb", if that distinction makes sense. I find it can sound a bit cold/unnatural, or just muddy, at times, but it can add really supernatural spooky ambiance if you just take the wet out and run it through a delay and some other effects.