Pattern XP mod

zeffii

Re: Pattern XP mod

Post by zeffii »

Thanks chahur, yeah those key combos work fine.

I understand if you think a direct shortcut is redundant / not worth the extra complication to implement. I'm starting to think you might be right.

I love this version of PatternXP :)
chahur

Post by chahur »

zeffii wrote:Thanks chahur, yeah those key combos work fine.

I understand if you think a direct shortcut is redundant / not worth the extra complication to implement. I'm starting to think you might be right.

I love this version of PatternXP :)
You would like a shortcut to select the current row ?
zeffii

Post by zeffii »

isn't that what PE ctrl+B does? no that's fine.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

I am sending the pitch bend command but it does nothing i can see the pitch bend wheel moving on the synth and when i try it on the synth it works. Am i missing something obvious.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

It's the synth that is the problem :oops:
JMC

Post by JMC »

Hey,
first i like to thank you for this super great ... Mod/Addon/Machine ... what ever, it is great! :dance:
specialy this draw parameter stuff is awesome :P

how ever, meanwhile i also would have three requests :roll:
In the machine view i can click a machine and then press enter to jump into its pattern.
In the patternview, the enter button is already used for chords, but it would be some how nice if i could use enter to switch between machine and patternview, to me it would only be logical to jump with the enterbutton from a machine to its pattern and from its pattern back to the machine, or open the machine at least, some how?
So the chords key may could be the tab key, or the tabkey could replace enter in the machine view, just because it seems logical to use the same key for similar actions like switching between stuff.

The other and realy urgent request has to do with the cool new pattern sequenzer above the pattern,
there is a patternlist at the right side, this list should get synced some how with the pattern.
So one can click a pattern in the sequenzer list and then the pattern loads in the patternview.
The less urgent problem with this list appears with long patternnames, there seems to be no way to resize the with of this pattern list

To be honest, i am not even sure if the new sequenzer also belongs to pattern XP or if it is buzz now,
i just say it here now, the menu to make pattern colors could get some colors more, or just a color chooser
and the submenus, all, of the sequenzer but also the ini menu in the machine view seem to use a strange color, the menu appears brightlila on contextgray, this lila must come from a custom col file, but then why is the context menu still gray and not in the backgroundcolor, may its just a graphical error or so, but i never had this any where before, near to white on bright gray, mhh.

There is also a last request, in Pattern XP mod are three toolbars, i have them open, above is this border to move the sequenzer up or down, and then comes the scrollbar of the sequenzer.
Between every toolbar or scrollbar is a line.
It would be very supportive to the eyes if the lines would get lost, just the bar to move the sequenzer up and down should stay clearly out as a big fat red bar, or maybe big fat red decent bar, or at least as the only eye catching bar, some how.
The lines on every pattern tool bar are meant good, but its not a regular toolbar, i cant move the buttons, just show or hide, the buttons are always on the same place, i get into that, but the sequenzer up and down bar is every time at a other place.
It would be supportive not only to the eyes but also to the workflow if you just dont need to search every time a line between the lines to move the window.

how ever... thanks for this draw parameter function, this is not just useful, its fun :D
and Pattern XP mod, it realy helps :dance: and looks... stylish :lol: :dance:
chahur

Post by chahur »

Hello.
I'm back after one and a half year of hard work. Hope I will have some time for coding again.
JMC wrote: In the machine view i can click a machine and then press enter to jump into its pattern.
In the patternview, the enter button is already used for chords, but it would be some how nice if i could use enter to switch between machine and patternview, to me it would only be logical to jump with the enterbutton from a machine to its pattern and from its pattern back to the machine, or open the machine at least, some how?
So the chords key may could be the tab key, or the tabkey could replace enter in the machine view, just because it seems logical to use the same key for similar actions like switching between stuff.
In the pattern view, for me, the enter key jump to the the sequence view. I don't understand what you mean by "is already used for chords".
JMC wrote: The other and realy urgent request has to do with the cool new pattern sequenzer above the pattern,
there is a patternlist at the right side, this list should get synced some how with the pattern.
So one can click a pattern in the sequenzer list and then the pattern loads in the patternview.
The less urgent problem with this list appears with long patternnames, there seems to be no way to resize the with of this pattern list
To be honest, i am not even sure if the new sequenzer also belongs to pattern XP or if it is buzz now,
It is not part of PatternXP, it's Buzz, so I can't do anything about that.
JMC wrote: There is also a last request, in Pattern XP mod are three toolbars, i have them open, above is this border to move the sequenzer up or down, and then comes the scrollbar of the sequenzer.
Between every toolbar or scrollbar is a line.
It would be very supportive to the eyes if the lines would get lost, just the bar to move the sequenzer up and down should stay clearly out as a big fat red bar, or maybe big fat red decent bar, or at least as the only eye catching bar, some how.
The lines on every pattern tool bar are meant good, but its not a regular toolbar, i cant move the buttons, just show or hide, the buttons are always on the same place, i get into that, but the sequenzer up and down bar is every time at a other place.
It would be supportive not only to the eyes but also to the workflow if you just dont need to search every time a line between the lines to move the window.
What I understand of the way it works is that the sequence view is automaticaly resized according to the number of lines (tracks) needed.
So it moves, but you should not need to move it by yourself.
About the toolbars in PatternXP, I'm afraid that I can't improve the way it works (or at least, I don't know how to). You should be aware that patternXP is written using MFC, it's a very archaic tool (back to the 90's). So the interface (GUI) is a lot of work to improve.
I think it's the reason why Jeskola leaved it as it was and started to rewrite the internal editor. But as the work stopped, I decided to dig into the mug so that the pattern editor could suit my needs :-).
JMC wrote: how ever... thanks for this draw parameter function, this is not just useful, its fun :D
and Pattern XP mod, it realy helps :dance: and looks... stylish :lol: :dance:
chahur

Post by chahur »

Updated 2017-01-29

- Developped with "Visual Studio Community 2015" : "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable package" NEEDED
(can be found here : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=53840)

- Chord dialog : Resize the width of the arpeggio list.

- Transpose button : Shift notes according to min/max limits.
Useful if you write a part for one instrument and want to transpose to another, but they ar not of the same tessitura.
List of predefined instruments in the file Generators\PatternXP\transpose.prs.
You can add instruments by editing the transpose.prs file. (I should add a "custom_transpose.prs" file ... soon).
IXix

Post by IXix »

Thanks! :dance:

Have you ever considered tinkering with the WPF pattern editor? Maybe when you get tired of MFC? :mrgreen:
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Once again :
Attachments
bravo chahur.jpg
bravo chahur.jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 16623 times
polac

Post by polac »

8-)
chahur

Post by chahur »

IXix wrote:Thanks! :dance:

Have you ever considered tinkering with the WPF pattern editor? Maybe when you get tired of MFC? :mrgreen:
Yes, sure. I am back before 1995 when I use MFC. At that time, I switched to Delphi.
But what is the WPF pattern editor ? Do we have the sources ?
chahur

Post by chahur »

Updated 2017-01-31 :
- Transpose Dialog :
You can save your own preset in the file Generators\PatternXP\custom_transpose.prs directly from the dialog.
If a custom preset has the same name than a predefined one, the custom preset is used.
IXix

Post by IXix »

chahur wrote:But what is the WPF pattern editor ? Do we have the sources ?
The fancy new built-in editor (press ctrl+Q in pattern editor to see it, in case you didn't know.) I thought the source was in the BuzzGUI repository but I can't find it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or maybe Oskari didn't add the code to the repo.
chahur

Post by chahur »

IXix wrote:
chahur wrote:But what is the WPF pattern editor ? Do we have the sources ?
The fancy new built-in editor (press ctrl+Q in pattern editor to see it, in case you didn't know.) I thought the source was in the BuzzGUI repository but I can't find it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or maybe Oskari didn't add the code to the repo.
I know it, but I don't think the sources are available.
IXix

Post by IXix »

chahur wrote:I know it, but I don't think the sources are available.
No, I think you're right. I can't find it in the BuzzGUI code. :(
Klangkulisse

Pattern XP mod cannot be found

Post by Klangkulisse »

I had to reinstall Win 10 and now I get this message on starting up buzz:

it is in the generators folder, I modified gear.xml like
<Machine Name="Jeskola Pattern XP mod" LoadAtStartup="True" DataFormat="PatternXP"/>

All in all, it's the same buzz installation and configuration I have on Win 7 system, where everything works.

Is there any restriction on a win 10 system regarding the access of buzz's own data?
I have no idea :?
chahur

Re: Pattern XP mod cannot be found

Post by chahur »

Klangkulisse wrote:I had to reinstall Win 10 and now I get this message on starting up buzz:

it is in the generators folder, I modified gear.xml like
<Machine Name="Jeskola Pattern XP mod" LoadAtStartup="True" DataFormat="PatternXP"/>

All in all, it's the same buzz installation and configuration I have on Win 7 system, where everything works.

Is there any restriction on a win 10 system regarding the access of buzz's own data?
I have no idea :?
Did you reinstall PatternXP mod ?
With the last version ? If yes, do you have the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable package" ?
Do you see the dll "Jeskola Pattern XP mod.dll" in the Generators directory ?
chahur

Post by chahur »

2017-02-14 Updated :

Chords progressions can now be saved in the song (button "save progression").
In the Chords expert dialog, you can select a chord progression and generate it in the pattern with an arpeggio.
Double click in the list of chords of the progression moves the cursor at the right place in the pattern and select the current chord.

Quick tutorial :https://youtu.be/dg_8J8QgKn8

This is a first step of the feature. I have some ideas how to use the chords progressions. But you can suggest any ideas about what I should implement to make the chords progressions more usable.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Very cool updates, but when I try to save the progression, buzz crash, same thing if i try to open chord dialog :( , fortunately, it doesn't happen with Buzz X64 :?: , maybe my win10 is corrupted, I have a problem with framework.net.
I think I made more chords, I'll send you.