A working wavetable recorder?

synthphase

A working wavetable recorder?

Post by synthphase »

Hey all,

Is there a wavetable recorder that works with the current build of Buzz? CNG, Cyanphase, whitenoise, etc just crash. To reproduce, plug them in and keep recording over the same slot, maybe turn the tempo up all the way and go in the wavetable view, eventually a hard or soft crash happens. What can I do? Any other way to automate recordings?
polac

Re: A working wavetable recorder?

Post by polac »

Does the pvst wavetable recorder work for you? Don't know what the other wavetable recorders do exactly.
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

Yeah I might have to employ the PVST one. I have used it in the past and it works great. The pattern ones give a trigger that you can use to set up an automatic recording. This is useful for many reasons, for example recording all pieces of a song to a different wavetable slot; something you can't do with any of the hard-disk recorders.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Oh no! CnG Recorder died! :cry:
nathansnider

Post by nathansnider »

There are at least two different issues here. One of them is particular to Whitenoise Recorder, and another, which primarily affects the Cyanphase and CnG recorders, seems to have something to do with the Buzz wavetable GUI.

I use Whitenoise Recorder often for wavetable feedback (simultaneously recording to and playing from the same wavetable slot), which doesn't work with the other recorders, because they reallocate/clear the wave with each pass. Unfortunately, Whitenoise Recorder will crash while repeatedly recording to a wavetable slot when AccurateBPM is turned on in the Buzz settings. I assume this is because the length of the recording interval changes by a sample or two when Buzz keeps the BPM sample-accurate, so the recorder ends up trying to write to a position that doesn't exist. You can fix this easily enough by setting AccurateBPM to False, but I've found that you still have to be careful with this machine. Stopping the song mid-pattern while recording for instance could cause a crash, so I usually wait for recording to finish before hitting stop or save. It also crashed a couple times at 500BPM/32TPB while testing just now, but it took a lot of fooling around, and I couldn't figure out any pattern.

The other recorders seemed to crash in a different way. For me, it seemed to happen most often while switching between the different views, navigating the Buzz menu, or (most often) while changing the theme. Even at low BPMs, changing the Buzz theme would cause a crash while using CnG Recorder, but Whitenoise Recorder seems to have no trouble with this even at 500BPM/32TPB. A few times one of them would produce an actual error dialog when crashing (example below), which always had to do with BuzzGUI.WaveformControl, so the problem seems to have something to do with the GUI in the Buzz wavetable view. My guess is that because the Cyanphase and CnG machines keep reallocating the waves, the wavetable editor is updating when some part of the Buzz GUI is not expecting it to. Incidentally, you don't actually have to be in the wavetable view for the crash to happen, and it can happen even if you've switched to the old wavetable (by hitting Ctrl-W in the wavetable view).

So I guess the most stable solution for now would be to try using Whitenoise Recorder with AccurateBPM turned off, but even that's not perfect. It doesn't do stereo, for instance, and it can still crash if you interrupt the song while recording. Otherwise, maybe Oskari (or Antonio?) can see if there's some change in the wavetable code that will fix the GUI-related crashes.
Attachments
Example error dialog for a CnG Recorder crash
Example error dialog for a CnG Recorder crash
buzz_wave_recorder_crash.png (76.1 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
tinga

Post by tinga »

WDE EasyRec works fine, very basic but effective.
IX wrote:Oh no! CnG Recorder died!
Bad news, nothing to do?
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:WDE EasyRec works fine, very basic but effective.
Oh, I missed that one!
tinga wrote:Bad news, nothing to do?
Haha, way too much to do! :(
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

nathansnider wrote:Otherwise, maybe Oskari (or Antonio?) can see if there's some change in the wavetable code that will fix the GUI-related crashes.
yeah this looks like a bug in the wavetable gui code, not sure if its something we broke or has always been there. i guess it only comes up when machines try to write to the wavetable (which honestly was never tested when we worked on the gui). from the error description it sounds like it would be an easy fix (some integer overflow)... probably something that should be a long instead of an int, or a non-sensical length was given, or something like that. I don't really have time to dig in at the moment tough...
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

polac wrote:Does the pvst wavetable recorder work for you? Don't know what the other wavetable recorders do exactly.
Does anyone know how to do this? I've loaded up a blank Polac VST 1.1 and have poked around but can't find a record to wavetable option. Be grateful if someone could help me out :)

Also, I'd read that AudioTrack can be used to wavetable record, though I'm not clear on how to do this either. Has anyone had success with this?
polac

Post by polac »

A blank loader instance does not show the record to wavetable option, you have to load a vst first, then open the vst editor(look in the edit menu).
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

polac wrote:A blank loader instance does not show the record to wavetable option, you have to load a vst first, then open the vst editor(look in the edit menu).
Cool, thanks :)