magmavander

Re: IX Magic - Updated January 13th 2020

Post by magmavander »

Wonderful stuff Tinga!! I'm amazed :o
rav

Post by rav »

IXix wrote:
rav wrote:Is there a simple way to add note-off for sustained buzz notes from Magic sequencer?
Not quite sure what you mean by that. Notes triggered by Magic will react to note-off from Buzz patterns or any MIDI notes the parent Sequence is configured to listen for, if the note-off mode is anything other than "ignore". It's possible to get hanging notes in some situations though. It can get a bit complicated with multiple triggering notes, channels and tracks.
Sorry, i didnt mention i was asking mainly for peer ctrl event and now i see how it is working. You need to use ' = note param first for activate off value in peer ctr event. Now it works like a charm ;)
When you type ' in textbox, it disapper after you change cursor focus to other thing. Then you can't tell it's empty or it have ' attribute typed. It also don't appere in event label :|
rav

Re: IX Magic - Updated January 4th 2020

Post by rav »

thOke wrote:
temporalsounds wrote: Just don't know what does it mean 'Show PAL'.... this shows me:Image
Maybe I have something wrong.
You are missing BTDSys PAL2.dll in Buzz\Gear\
BTDSys PAL 2.zip
i think (some/all?) newer BTDSys machines need it.
I have this message also and can't load BTDSys PeerCtrl. BTDSys PAL2 is on its place since years and everything was working, but i switched some time ago from Win7 to Win10. What else i can do?

UPDATE (resolved):
I think it was vcredist2005_x86 (Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package) in my case.
I have found cool package of vcredists here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/vi ... ll-in-one/
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

TFM wrote:Chord start/end '{' and '}' Place a comma separated list of intervals between the curly braces to define a chord. Root note is 1 so a major triad is {1,5,8}. Chord definitions like this can also contain predefined chord names as part of the chord.
Either this is poorly-explained, or I'm missing something obvious, or this is bugged.

I can put "CMaj" and get a C Major, so all the "background settings" seem to be fine.

But C{1,5,8}, C {1,5,8}, C4{1,5,8}, and C4 {1,5,8} all produce just a single C note. Taking the instructions hyper-literally, {1,5,8} produces nothing (which is correct, obviously, since there's no reference point, but still).

I've also tried with spaces between the numbers in the curly-brackets, to no avail.
tinga

Post by tinga »

River Cricket wrote:Either this is poorly-explained, or I'm missing something obvious, or this is bugged.
Did you added tracks (same line than "target machine", "0-3" for a 4 notes chord)? you have also to add tracks to the targeted machine, sometime I forget that, and I have the same issue, so not a bug probably you miss to fill the track(s) box. RTFM :lol:
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

tinga wrote:
River Cricket wrote:Either this is poorly-explained, or I'm missing something obvious, or this is bugged.
Did you added tracks (same line than "target machine", "0-3" for a 4 notes chord)? you have also to add tracks to the targeted machine, sometime I forget that, and I have the same issue, so not a bug probably you miss to fill the track(s) box. RTFM :lol:
Nah. Like I said, "CMaj" works fine, so I know I have all the settings properly set for chords.
tinga

Post by tinga »

River Cricket wrote:Nah. Like I said, "CMaj" works fine, so I know I have all the settings properly set for chords.
Sorry, i think its a "syntax error", {} are for notes {C,E,G} is the correct form for a chord in note sequence, [] are for arp. , numbers are for custom chords in resources page.
tinga

Post by tinga »

"Place a comma separated list of intervals between the curly braces to define a chord. Root note is 1 so a major triad is {1,5,8}. Chord definitions like this can also contain predefined chord names as part of the chord."

I see that in TFM, I think its not correct, what we see in info bar is:

"Comma separated sequence. Chord={C3,F,G#5}, Arp=<chord>[0,1,-2,3],<chord>^2=2nd inversion,!=don't cut notes,_=rest.RTFM"
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:Magic increases seriously Buzz's power, a test with custom chords and arps, saved in song, no bugs :lol:, a test for scales, I try the chord 1, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, major scale in fact, arp limit is 64 signs, but more notes of course, it's just perfect, the melodic design I want since a long time, a melodic line is always around 80% of conjunct movements, Magic is great :dance:
Very cool. I knew you'd like it! :lol:

I can put "CMaj" and get a C Major, so all the "background settings" seem to be fine.

But C{1,5,8}, C {1,5,8}, C4{1,5,8}, and C4 {1,5,8} all produce just a single C note.
Hmmm, I think it's broken. Let me see what I did...
IXix

Post by IXix »

IXix wrote:Hmmm, I think it's broken. Let me see what I did...
No, the manual is broken and I forgot how it's supposed to work. The help text in the Magic window is correct, you put actual notes between curly braces to form a chord {C,E,G}. The manual is correctly describing how to make predefined chords like "Maj" but in completely the wrong place. :oops:

I'll update the documents soon.
tinga

Post by tinga »

IXix wrote:No, the manual is broken and I forgot how it's supposed to work.
:lol: OK, we have also to test the manual, I RTFM around 3 or 4 time, but I didn't see this mistake.
A new chord call "chroma", 12 notes, just one pattern: CS[UD12]. 1mn30 loop.
chromatest_bird_2_dynamite.7z
(7.42 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

IXix wrote:
IXix wrote:Hmmm, I think it's broken. Let me see what I did...
No, the manual is broken and I forgot how it's supposed to work. The help text in the Magic window is correct, you put actual notes between curly braces to form a chord {C,E,G}. The manual is correctly describing how to make predefined chords like "Maj" but in completely the wrong place. :oops:

I'll update the documents soon.
Of COURSE I didn't think to try this permutation! Many thanks to you and Tinga!
rav wrote:
IXix wrote:
rav wrote:Is there a simple way to add note-off for sustained buzz notes from Magic sequencer?
Not quite sure what you mean by that. Notes triggered by Magic will react to note-off from Buzz patterns or any MIDI notes the parent Sequence is configured to listen for, if the note-off mode is anything other than "ignore". It's possible to get hanging notes in some situations though. It can get a bit complicated with multiple triggering notes, channels and tracks.
Sorry, i didnt mention i was asking mainly for peer ctrl event and now i see how it is working. You need to use ' = note param first for activate off value in peer ctr event. Now it works like a charm ;)
When you type ' in textbox, it disapper after you change cursor focus to other thing. Then you can't tell it's empty or it have ' attribute typed. It also don't appere in event label :|
I think I understand what rav is asking - because I was about to ask it too.

To try and rephrase what I think rav is asking: It'd be nice if there was a character that, when encountered in the note-entry field of ixmagic, would be the same as pressing "1" in the note-entry field of regular Buzz Pattern View, so we could ensure a "blank slate", sonically, at various points, regardless of what we've been doing with our note lengths and cut delays.

For instance, imagine a situation where you have Buzz controlling some instruments, and ixmagic controlling others. You want your loop to start off with just the hats.

In this situation, I like to have dummy note-off patterns for other instruments, so if I want to jump to the beginning of the loop I won't have droning notes. Same effect as F8-F6, but one less keypress while "in the zone". :D

Also useful if you want the finished song to be two identical run-throughs of the loop - much easier (imo) to just make a single loop and have it repeat once than to copy-paste the whole loop a second time.

Here's how that would look in the sequencer view.

But here's where it gets a little mental:

This is how I set the "all notes off" in ixmagic (I had no luck with rav's apostrophe-equals method). It looks bizarre to me, maybe because my Buzz-track for the ixmagic has nothing in velocity, so it's somehow sending "null" to the synth as a note value. Never would have tried this, "v" was just the result of lucky keyboard mashing when frustrated, lol.

A .BMX might be worth a thousand words in this case, so see what I mean below. :) Try erasing the "notes off" from the Sequencer and notice how Green Milk will continue to drone.
Attachments
why does this work.zip
(3.7 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
rav

Post by rav »

To make it work like you probably want, you need to change Note-Off Mode to something else than Ignore. For Peer Ctrl event you need also add Off Value = '.
Here is a picture to make it less complicated :)
Unfortunately right now this ' is disappearing from textbox after changing focus to something else.

Update:
I have found that note off's also works with 'P = pass note. Right now its better to use, because it doesn't disappear ;)
IXix

Post by IXix »

If I understand correctly, what you want is either this, triggered by note-off....

...or this triggered by note-on...

Regarding the disappearing value, an apostrophe ' on it's own isn't a valid value so it gets discarded when the focus changes but the field should still show something after that happens, so that's a visual bug. To set note-off you can just type 'o.
IXix

Post by IXix »

River Cricket wrote:This is how I set the "all notes off" in ixmagic (I had no luck with rav's apostrophe-equals method). It looks bizarre to me, maybe because my Buzz-track for the ixmagic has nothing in velocity, so it's somehow sending "null" to the synth as a note value. Never would have tried this, "v" was just the result of lucky keyboard mashing when frustrated, lol.

A .BMX might be worth a thousand words in this case, so see what I mean below. :) Try erasing the "notes off" from the Sequencer and notice how Green Milk will continue to drone.
Why does this work? Because it's a bug! :lol:

What *should* happen when Sequence 2 is triggered is this:
1.The note from the pattern has no velocity so it will use the last velocity recorded for that note, or if no velocity has been previously specified it will use full velocity (7F).
2.The 'V' in the on value for the Event will translate that 7F into the highest legal Buzz note (B9)
3.The target synth should emit an ear-piercing squeal.

What *actually* happens is the code for translating the velocity into a value wrongly comes up with a value of 255, which just happens to be the value of NOTE_OFF. :lol:

That's a sneaky bug! Thanks for finding it. Now I just need to fix it without breaking anything else! :lol:
rav

Post by rav »

IXix wrote:[...]an apostrophe ' on it's own isn't a valid value so it gets discarded when the focus changes[...]
Actually it works after focus change also and gives ability to stop notes by note off.
IXix wrote:To set note-off you can just type 'o.
This is it! Thanks :)

I have something more to investigate for you IX...
Values 64, x40 and %50 gives the same results (Qsamo transpose param). Random ranges R:64-65, R:x40-41 and R:%50-51 should also work almost the same like decimal range (first example), am i right? Right now it works different. I think, that second range value is always decimal.
'Pass is triggering also from velocity value, without notes. It retriggers last entered note to the pattern. Is it suppose to be like that?
If you want i can attache simple example file.

Why values with apostrophes ('pass, 'off) are blocked on non note params? Actually it is possible to use this by changing param from [T]Note to something else. This key tracking like feature would be cool i suppose?
IXix

Post by IXix »

rav wrote:Actually it works after focus change also and gives ability to stop notes by note off.
I think I'll change it so that an apostrophe with no other characters will be mean pass through. Sounds like that's what it's doing anyway,
rav wrote:Values 64, x40 and %50 gives the same results (Qsamo transpose param). Random ranges R:64-65, R:x40-41 and R:%50-51 should also work almost the same like decimal range (first example), am i right? Right now it works different. I think, that second range value is always decimal.
I'll look into that later.
rav wrote:'Pass is triggering also from velocity value, without notes. It retriggers last entered note to the pattern. Is it suppose to be like that?
Yes, that's correct behaviour. If it reads a velocity value with no note it will use the last note recieved on that track, or do nothing if there's no previous note. Similarly if it reads a note with no velocity it will use the last velocity recieved on that track, or full 7F velocity if there's no previous value.
rav wrote:Why values with apostrophes ('pass, 'off) are blocked on non note params? Actually it is possible to use this by changing param from [T]Note to something else. This key tracking like feature would be cool i suppose?
I never considered that. I'll have a think about it...
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:
IXix wrote:No, the manual is broken and I forgot how it's supposed to work.
:lol: OK, we have also to test the manual, I RTFM around 3 or 4 time, but I didn't see this mistake.
A new chord call "chroma", 12 notes, just one pattern: CS[UD12]. 1mn30 loop.
chromatest_bird_2_dynamite.7z
Forgot to say amid all the bug frenzy, your experiments are getting better and better! Bravo!
IXix

Post by IXix »

rav wrote:Values 64, x40 and %50 gives the same results (Qsamo transpose param). Random ranges R:64-65, R:x40-41 and R:%50-51 should also work almost the same like decimal range (first example), am i right? Right now it works different. I think, that second range value is always decimal.
Oooh, you're good at spotting bugs! I accidentally broke this on the 7th of August last year! Can't believe I didn't notice. :oops:

Annoyingly, if I fix this it will change songs that use random ranges. I'll have to add some backwards compatibility code to prevent that from happening. :(
IXix

Post by IXix »

To clarify about the value range bug, if you use one of the number type specifiers (x%=) for the first value, that number type should be implied for the second value too. The bug is that the implied type for the second value is forgotten and so it is treated as a normal decimal value. It applies to all instances of the range syntax in peer values, not just random range.

The fix is easy but the backwards compatibility is tricky so while you're waiting, you can work around the bug by explicitly specifying the type for the second value eg. R:%50-%51

Should have a fix in the next couple of days. Thanks @rav for noticing it!