Need some way to line up two wav's visually

IXix

Re: Need some way to line up two wav's visually

Post by IXix »

HerrFornit wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:05 am Next major update could be a recording option, directly into the pattern slot of audioblock? :?:
That would be pretty amazing if it can be done.

Noticed that you can drag/drop from the wavetable view file browser but dropping on AudioBlock causes one of those massively verbose .NET exceptions. I also noticed that clicking on the offset text field opens up a little numeric entry dialog but it appears off to the right of the gui by a fair distance and can be off screen if the gui is near the edge.

Regarding the offset, could I suggest more control over the value by using either selectable units (samples/milliseconds/seconds) of perhaps coarse and fine controls? Also a larger value range would probably be useful as currently it seems that the value is limited to ~200 (is that ms or samples?).

Awesome work. Still not able to do any serious testing, which is quite frustrating! :(
wde

Post by wde »

• Drag & Drop Crash fixed.
  • First pattern renamed correctly.
  • Fix issues when waves are deleted in Wavetable.
  • Allow only one pattern instance to be linked to wave.
  • Right click pattern dropbox to create a new pattern.
  • Probably something else I forgot.
Changed the data structure a bit so you need to place correct values in the Audio Block UI in saved songs.

I'll think about the offset thingy. Currently it is using samples multiplied by 100. 1 means it cuts 100 samples from the sample beginning, -1 adds 100 sample delay/silence to the beginning.
HerrFornit wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:05 am Next major update could be a recording option, directly into the pattern slot of audioblock?
For that I recommend EasyRec. The idea is to use Buzz Wavetable as the wave depository and EasyRec works fine for that use case.
Last edited by wde on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

new version works fine here.
wde wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:49 pm For that I recommend EasyRec. The idea is to use Buzz Wavetable as the wave depository and EasyRec works fine for that use case.
ah, yep. Didn't know EasyRec !!. Its not at robotplanet.dk. Great, should also be a standard machine for buzz (as audioblock ;) )
Works fine together with audioblock. Is it possible that audioblock adjusts the patternlength of the recorded wav of Easyrec automatically, too?
wde wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:49 pm I'll think about the offset thingy. Currently it is using samples multiplied by 100. 1 means it cuts 100 samples from the sample beginning, -1 adds 100 sample delay/silence to the beginning.
For offset I vote for milliseconds like this: "0002.6" ms. You could do doubletracking or kind of haas effect with ms not knowing the samplefrequency. :) (actually this would be microsecs)
wde

Post by wde »

HerrFornit wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:08 pm Is it possible that audioblock adjusts the patternlength of the recorded wav of Easyrec automatically, too?
  • Adjust pattern lengths automatically based on Wavetable changes.
For offset I vote for milliseconds like this: "0002.6" ms.
  • Votes are in and milliseconds won.
  • More accurate pattern lengths.
  • Mute param.
  • Small EasyRec improvements (remove unnecessary silence, add time stamp to recording etc..)
  • Edit: Restructure the code to avoid couple of issues. Uploaded new version.
Last edited by wde on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

I follow this with great interest but have no time to experiment with or experience this machine myself.
Could someone please consider to record and upload a clip of how it looks when you work with this plugin?
IXix

Post by IXix »

It doesn't seem to want to play more than one pattern at once, the leftmost column in the sequencer view wins. If it can't play multiple files simultaeously that's fine but if it can, multiple outputs would be handy! :mrgreen:

If it can only ever play one file at once though, perhaps it might be better if each instance could only load one file and have one pattern associated with it? If you changed the file it could automatically resize the pattern to fit and then if you wanted to play multiple files you'd just add more instances. Just thinking out loud.

Very excited to see where this goes.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

great. New version is working good! :) Tried 2 tracks playing with same and different samples in parallel.

two minor issues found:
- numbers smaller than 1 are rejected in direct offset input
- If you have a sample in wavetable and load an new instance of audioblock: set the sample via drop down menu without specifying the pattern (leave it blank) and the specifying the pattern (e.g. Audioblock0) you have to reload the samples in order to refresh the pattern length in sequence view.

EDIT: @IXix
ah, yes: cant use more than Audioblock0 pattern in drop down menu, no Audioblock1 or higher possible. I had to make a new pattern via regular pattern editor (named 00 ! ), then same issue no2 above. Dont know if that is related to your problem.
audioblocktest.jpg
audioblocktest.jpg (91.2 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
wde

Post by wde »

• Limit one sequence for one AudioBlock machine instance.
  • Auto refresh Buzz Sequence and Pattern Editor views.
  • Auto update pattern length fix when pattern is changed in UI.
HerrFornit wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:52 pm numbers smaller than 1 are rejected in direct offset input
Feature for now ;) Didn't find quick fix for this. You need to use the up/down arrows to change decimals.
IXix wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:44 pm It doesn't seem to want to play more than one pattern at once, the leftmost column in the sequencer view wins. If it can't play multiple files simultaeously that's fine but if it can, multiple outputs would be handy!
Nah, I want to keep things simple. Now only one sequence per AudioBlock is allowed. You need to create another instance of AudioBlock to have a separate sequence.
HerrFornit wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:52 pm cant use more than Audioblock0 pattern in drop down menu, no Audioblock1 or higher possible. I had to make a new pattern via regular pattern editor (named 00 ! ), then same issue no2 above. Dont know if that is related to your problem.
Works using regular PatternXP. Might be related to something else. Keep testing guys, I need stable machine for my own projects :)
Last edited by wde on Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IXix

Post by IXix »

wde wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:36 pmI want to keep things simple. Now only one sequence per AudioBlock is allowed. You need to create another instance of AudioBlock to have a separate sequence.
Fair enough. Would be nice to have gain controls for the individual files. :mrgreen:
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

wde wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:36 pm
  • HerrFornit wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:52 pm cant use more than Audioblock0 pattern in drop down menu, no Audioblock1 or higher possible. I had to make a new pattern via regular pattern editor (named 00 ! ), then same issue no2 above. Dont know if that is related to your problem.
    Works using regular PatternXP. Might be related to something else. Keep testing guys, I need stable machine for my own projects :)

AudioBlock.zip
I see. Its patterXPmod I think ;) The naming problem of the new pattern with already loaded samples you don't have?
wde

Post by wde »

HerrFornit wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:11 pm The naming problem of the new pattern with already loaded samples you don't have?
I don't think I can reproduce that exact issue. One thing I noticed: there is no event for renaming/modifying pattern, so if you rename pattern name in pattern editor, you need to add new/delete pattern to update AudioBlock GUI.
IXix wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:44 pm Would be nice to have gain controls for the individual files.
Hold on! Multiple sequences per machine are back, wasn't actually that hard. And gain controls.

Edit:
  • Fixed bug when playing unassigned pattern
  • Play in pattern editor.
It seems you can't set/control output channels from C# machine. Or I could not find any solution for that.

MachineDecl has OutputCount but setting it to what ever number doesn't seem to do anything. Also

Code: Select all

host.Machine.OutputChannelCount
returns always 1. Anyone experimented with output channels in C#? It might not be that hard to integrate to Audio Block if I just know how to do it ;)

Edit 2:

Ok, more multi channel research: looking at modulator.cpp example it seems that IBuzzMachine interface for managed machines is lacking (at least) these:

Code: Select all

MultiWork(float const * const *inputs, float **outputs, int numsamples)
SetInputChannelCount(INPUT_COUNT); // Effects?
SetOutputChannelCount(OUTPUT_COUNT);
@oskari How big of a change it would be to add these? Would be awesome to experiment with multiple ins & outs!
Last edited by wde on Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Thanks for multiple tracks and gain controls, working well. Please could the gain controls have a decibel reading?

I haven't tried making a .NET machine yet but I was under the impression that multiple outputs was possible. Shame if it isn't. :(
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

Hey,
tried audioblock with 2 songs containing longer vocal tracks. I have to say that it works very well, no timing, phase or gain issues :)
But I must admit, that I miss a bit the opportunity for longer offsets like in matilde to realize e.g. refrains without cutting the sample in an external editor. How about an extra offset column in min:seconds before the offset fine tuning?

By the way, do you know a machine for timeline in min:sec:ms in the sequence (additional to time signatures) ;) like this
timeSignature.jpg
timeSignature.jpg (32.9 KiB) Viewed 8459 times
Still got this naming issue, a bit altered now. made new pattern 00 which is pattern 1 (green) .
audioblockNamingpatterns.jpg
audioblockNamingpatterns.jpg (59.03 KiB) Viewed 8472 times
wde

Post by wde »

• Gain dB in Tooltip.
  • Offset also in seconds.
  • Use pattern prefix 'Audio' so that text fits into pattern box in seq editor.
  • Highly experimental: SHIFT down + mouse over wave name displays quick view of the wave.
WaveWindow.png
WaveWindow.png (38.8 KiB) Viewed 8414 times
HerrFornit wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:19 pm By the way, do you know a machine for timeline in min:sec:ms in the sequence (additional to time signatures) like this
That could be handy. I might look into that when/if I have time. ;)
HerrFornit wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:19 pm Still got this naming issue, a bit altered now. made new pattern 00 which is pattern 1 (green) .
Auto naming happens only if you create new pattern in AudioBlock UI.
Last edited by wde on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Cool! :dance:
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

hey! one step further :)

I almost can see the line marking the offset in the waveform, how about that?

here is a short video of drag and drop into freshly started Buzz. Is that the same behaviour at your BUZZ?
AudioblockVideo.zip
(30.75 MiB) Downloaded 263 times
wde

Post by wde »

• First pattern selected in UI after AudioBlock instance has been created.
  • Wave is now rendered more correctly. The idea here is to simulate how the wave would be drawn on pattern box if that would be possible. It is a heavy approximation but I think good enough.
  • Tested dotted line to indicate where the actual sample starts after silence offset added.
AudioBlock starts to be in a good shape towards 1.0 so I'm focusing on stabilizing and cleaning up rather than adding too many new features. Bigger feature requests are moved to 2.0 :D

Developer wish list for managed machines:
  • Multi channel support.
  • Allow draw on pattern box in sequence view.
  • Allow capture pointer/mouse events for pattern boxes.
  • Invalidate Buzz pattern editor, sequence views (force UI refresh). Now it can be done in a bit hacky way.
  • Pattern events: rename, resize.
  • Pattern rename.
  • Flag Buzz to save on exit (can be done indirectly)
Last edited by wde on Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

great, thanx, initial naming is healed!

Tried the negative offset, dotted line is nice! :D
The sample is then cut at the end of the pattern. I have prolonged the pattern and everything is OK. You have a bunch of plans for pattern/sequence for V2.0 (amazing!) , so don't know if it would be on your line to adjust the pattern length by the negative offset? :idea: If not, no problem.
Perhaps it would make sense to shift the startposition of the pattern, and cut the silence, too?, dont know just an idea.
Edit: last sentence doesnt make sense, prob .
wde

Post by wde »

• Update pattern length when offset is changed.
  • Edit: Update pattern length after Drag & Drop
Last edited by wde on Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Candle

Post by Candle »

Hello everyone! It's been a while. WDE, this is an awesome machine. I just DL'd the latest version (from your last post) and it seems to crash my Buzz. I'm using the latest Buzz (32 Bit Build 1503) in Windows 10. So what is happening is that I load a WAV file into AudioBlock & then I go to the Pattern Editor. In the Pattern Editor I adjust the end loop point of the project (CTRL-E) to match the end of the Audio 00 Sequence & Buzz hangs, crashes & closes with no error messages.

Although, I have to say, this is something that happens every once & a while with Buzz - so it might not be AudioBlock's fault. But it seems to do it each time I try to adjust the loop end point with AudioBlock. So I'm not sure..... Anyway, I'm attaching a link to the BMX so maybe you can give it a try (& anyone else who wants to as well) & see if it happens on your system.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zksy8087bfgw ... X.bmx?dl=0

Thanks for the continued development of new machines, WDE!

See You In The Shadows…