Recording as float32 causes glitches

DJ Saint-Hubert

Recording as float32 causes glitches

Post by DJ Saint-Hubert »

Almost every time i get several clicks that are either at the max possible amplitude for 32-bit float (i think) or at exactly 0.0. Ive just been manually editing them out in Audacity but the artifacts get really noticeable with multiple tracks. Help me!
IXix

Re: Recording as float32 causes glitches

Post by IXix »

I've had the same problem but I can't offer a solution. It took a while to figure out that it was the recording format and not any particular machine causing the problem. I just use int24 instead.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

odd, i record in 32bit float since a decade or so and never had this problem. anyway since it's float you should be able to normalize the file even with peaks over 0.0, if you do that do the clicks go away ?
IXix

Post by IXix »

Actually, my problem was rendering, not recording, at 32 float and the glitches were quite severe. When they occurred I would have to try another render, often multiple times until I got a clean file. I couldn't discern any pattern, it never glitched the same way twice. Very frustrating until I realised it didn't happen with int 24.

I use the past temse because I haven't tried on my new system. It could have been just some weird hardware thing with my very old laptop.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

interesting, i never use render, always record so i guess that's why i never experienced it. so there must be something different going on when rendering...
IXix

Post by IXix »

UNZ wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:25 am interesting, i never use render, always record so i guess that's why i never experienced it. so there must be something different going on when rendering...
I guess so. Never had any (abnormal) glitches in the live audio when I'm creating a track. I suppose recording just dumps that to disk where render attempts to do it faster than realtime.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

yeah sounds like maybe a buffering under/overflow issue, that's pretty much the only thing that should be different, the buffer sizes..
long ago i made driver that did rendering in faster than realtime, wonder if it happens here too:
http://buzz.robotplanet.dk/machineinfo.php?id=7399

(not sure it still works, but should, note that you use the record button with this one, not the render button)
IXix

Post by IXix »

UNZ wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:57 pmnote that you use the record button with this one, not the render button
Ah, that explains why it didn't work well when I tried it! :lol:
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

IXix wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:35 pm
UNZ wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:57 pmnote that you use the record button with this one, not the render button
Ah, that explains why it didn't work well when I tried it! :lol:
yeah this was made way before there was a render button hehe
DJ Saint-Hubert

Post by DJ Saint-Hubert »

Happens even with record with me...