AMD Rysen worth it

HerrFornit

Re: AMD Rysen worth it

Post by HerrFornit »

Hey temporalsounds,

perhaps the down clocking under full processing is important, too. Thermal design and so on .... ;) (My Haswell is undervolted ;) )
I'm sill not sure what BUZZ really does with all that cores .... (up to 64 for new AMD Desktop CPUs)
You know that in Q4/2020 Ryzen 4000 will come with another plus of 15% Instructions per cycle.
I bought my system 2013 and after 10 years it will be 2023 perhaps looking for a new system, with DDR5 then. I think every 10 years is ok, if I need, considering the climate change :(

Looks like you have upgraded your Ivy bridge system with a new graphic card and more... (?)
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

HerrFornit wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:13 pm I bought my system 2013 and after 10 years it will be 2023 perhaps looking for a new system, with DDR5 then. I think every 10 years is ok, if I need, considering the climate change :(

Looks like you have upgraded your Ivy bridge system with a new graphic card and more... (?)
I think,that Buzz uses only real cores,not logical.But I'm not sure!!
I bought my system about Q4 2012 I think.Then I upgraded with more RAM and GPU later ,about 2018 ? I remember ,everybody were mining bitcoins,ethereum etc. at that time...
Too much energy consumption :cry: I'm not fan about it.Considering the climatic changes too, like you.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

temporalsounds wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:41 am
I think,that Buzz uses only real cores,not logical.But I'm not sure!!
you might be right. Heavy load: BUZZ-CPU-Monitor 70-85% !,
CPUcores.jpg
CPUcores.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 8952 times
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

I have different results now.I'm confused a bit.
Set up core parking to: 100 % ,same like you.Other Quick CPU setting : default,as I installed Quick CPU app half an hour ago.
I tested with 96khz sample rate and with many VST plugins.EDIT : Other app closed before test,including web browser.
image:
Last edited by temporalsounds on Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

EDIT:
I have these setting in Buzz:
Attachments
Task manager set W7.png
Task manager set W7.png (342.11 KiB) Viewed 8920 times
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

Interesting difference. Perhaps it's because we have different BIOS/UEFI settings? BTW: My System is undervolted -0.12 V offset, but that's probably not the reason. Perhaps HyperThreading setting ... I have to look. Its' insecure with that dammed Intel processors, side chain attack and so on ... :x

My BUZZ preferences are the same except MachineDelayCompensation is "true" here.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

Ah yes,I have read about vulnerabilities about CPUs Intel architecture.Either way,I have HyperThreading turning on ,in bios setup.
I think,the attacker or hacker must be or have physically access to your computer to use this ,or steal data.But who knows... :?:
I'm not an expert in this. (https://meltdownattack.com)
I flashed my BIOS three days ago again with old 2013 UEFI file(latest),because my motherboard and system starts to be weird behavior.
I wasn't be able to install Windows on SSD disk.Strange..
Thank you HerrFornit for good tips about performance testing Buzz :D
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

You are right, I probability is very low to become a victim by side channel attacks... :) thanx for the link.

Anyway, I checked my bios, hyperthreating is enabled. Recently my Win10 got a microcode update perhaps that has an influence. A few patches further and my CPU is a lame turtle. :lol:

Edit: doing a full system virus scan now. All 8 cores are fully on! hm?
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Went for ryzen 3700x big improvement over the i5 :dance:
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

hi boombaxx,

ah good. Can you run more machines now (without glitches etc) ?

thanx!
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Whats glitches i think i have forgotten about them even at the lowest latency settings still fine even at 32bit 44100. Kontakt used to grind my cpu into dust. Now it,s no problem. I did however find i have been sold a faulty motherboard where 2 ram slots do not work. When i tried to upgrade the ram. Out of warranty doh. Still 16g is no bad could get 32. Do you really need all that when i started on buzz i had 512mb and a celeron 400. Wish i had what i have now then. With something like the ryzen 7 you could add buzz machines till the cows come home and still get nowhere close to overloading the cpu. It would be in the 10,s of thousands. I still have 4 cores unused because of the 12 core limitation in buzz. Who would have thought all those years ago 12 cores would be a limitation
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

boombaxx wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 pm With something like the ryzen 7 you could add buzz machines till the cows come home and still get nowhere close to overloading the cpu.
:lol: :lol:
Moving to Ryzen from i7 (IvyBridge) soon too... ;)
Attachments
Ryzen.png
Ryzen.png (604.57 KiB) Viewed 8266 times
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I'm getting my new Ryzen system in pieces. Just waiting on the power supply...

:? :? :? :( :( :( :? :? :? :( :( :(

My proc is the 2600, which seemed to be the best bang for the buck right now (13k passmark score). Should be over twice as fast as my current proc (1090T)

Got 32GB of DDR4 and a 4TB HDD.

Going with Windows 10 this round. It works well on my laptop, so I think it should work ok with my desktop as well.

I'm still figuring out my soundcard, but I'm thinking the UMC404HD (which I use for live performances) might be a good choice for my desktop rig. :?: :?: :?:

I need a lot of inputs for my setup to work correctly. Something like 6 channels would be nice.
Candle

Post by Candle »

I've been using the UMC404HD for a few years now. Love it.

See You In The Shadows…
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

boombaxx wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 pm Whats glitches i think i have forgotten about them even at the lowest latency settings still fine even at 32bit 44100. Kontakt used to grind my cpu into dust. Now it,s no problem. I did however find i have been sold a faulty motherboard where 2 ram slots do not work. When i tried to upgrade the ram. Out of warranty doh. Still 16g is no bad could get 32. Do you really need all that when i started on buzz i had 512mb and a celeron 400. Wish i had what i have now then. With something like the ryzen 7 you could add buzz machines till the cows come home and still get nowhere close to overloading the cpu. It would be in the 10,s of thousands. I still have 4 cores unused because of the 12 core limitation in buzz. Who would have thought all those years ago 12 cores would be a limitation
Hey OSKARI Give us more cores, please!

thanx!
temporalsounds wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:36 am Moving to Ryzen from i7 (IvyBridge) soon too... ;)
You bought a 3700X? cool.
I wait for DDR5 and ZEN4, perhaps :lol:
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

HerrFornit wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:06 am Hey OSKARI Give us more cores, please!
I think ,Oskari is thinking about it now :lol:

[/quote]
You bought a 3700X?
[/quote]
Yes,I decided for this CPU finally.My employer bought it for me (new one, not used)for excellent price.Under €250.
Good ,isn't it.
I'm building new system exactly same like mridlen in pieces. I'm calculating to finish it about Christmas time .
Missing tower case and PSU. Thinking about Be Quiet! PSU again.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

temporalsounds wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:55 pm Yes,I decided for this CPU finally.My employer bought it for me (new one, not used)for excellent price.Under €250.
Good ,isn't it.
I'm building new system exactly same like mridlen in pieces. I'm calculating to finish it about Christmas time .
Missing tower case and PSU. Thinking about Be Quiet! PSU again.
yeah, good price. :)
By the way, what is you motherboard? Did you look for latencies? (if possible). When I have build my PC I didn't care for latencies making music with it those days. Today I think it is perhaps a bit a bottleneck. Don't know enough about I/O stuff, lanes and so on.
BeQuiet! is definitely quality product. I have seasonic, no problems with it.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

If you mean DPC ,no I didn't look for latencies in this case. :o
Anyway, the next problem will be maybe in PCIe >to PCI legacy adapter.Not sure, how it will runs. Latencies ,compatibility etc etc :roll:
If there will be problem in Win10, I'll everything move to children's PC , they will need it for online school lessons. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Motherboard is Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (older chipset with no support PCIe gen.4),nevermind.
RAM : Patriot Viper Steel series 16GB 3200
pic:
Attachments
MoBo B450.jpg
MoBo B450.jpg (536.71 KiB) Viewed 7983 times
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

perhaps with an internal sound card it is not a big problem. Is it old?
I have external USB audio device. Perhaps more complicated with I/O chipsets. Dont know how to predict latencies by hardware. DPCdat and LatencyMon you can use only when it is finished. :evil:
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

In the rare cases where I run out of CPU, the scenario is always the same: One plugin eating up 1 core (and thus giving choppy playback), and all the other cores are doing pretty much nothing.

This means I already have enough cores, but I need a CPU with a faster single-threaded performance!

So when buying a new CPU for audio, that's what I would go for: Fastest single threaded floating point performance.