Any generator to slice samples?

Kooshan

Any generator to slice samples?

Post by Kooshan »

Sorry to make several threads , I’m trying to go back to buzz .
So Is there any generator in buzz that slices samples ? Like the old dr.rex in reason? So that you could easily change tempo witthout messing everything up
magmavander

Re: Any generator to slice samples?

Post by magmavander »

Liveslice ?

https://buzz.robotplanet.dk/search.php?q=ohm
Loop slicer: Live Slice is a loop slicer intended for live use or studio improvisation. It lets you manipulate your loops in a visual environment. The loop is split into 4,8,16, or 32 slices of equal length, that can be rearranged using drag and drop. The waveform is colored so that darker frequencies are black, middle frequencies blue and higher freqyencies red
PARAMETER ENVELOPES
There are four available parameter envelopes:
Volume
Panning
Pitch
Decay / Length
Slice - an alternative to the drag'n' drop editing of slices
Probability - 0: slice will never play 100: slice will always play
Two PEER controllers
(can be configured to control any buzz machine.)
Beneath the envelope selection buttons you find a bunch of icons. The lock is for locking all sliders in the envelopes (make them move together), the rest of them can be used to apply common envelopes (rising, falling, random, etc.) the slider below the icons define the bottom and top values (it's a double slider).
FINE TUNING YOUR SLICES
You can change slice points by dragging them. Move the pointer to one of the lines (upper waveform) and drag with the left mouse button.
There is an auto quantize feature that will move the slicepoints to the closest edge in the sound.
If you set the tempo or pitch to low values, slices will overlap - if this gets in your way you can use CTRL + left mouse button to change the decay of a slice, or use the DECAY envelope
Kooshan

Post by Kooshan »

Thanks! I’ve used liveslice but it was a bit buggy on that time , not playing slices correctly and some other glitches. Is there any other machine for this purpose?
thOke

Post by thOke »

There are several options to slice samples with buzz machines, but to "easily change tempo without messing everything up"
i really recommend the free loopcloud player vst. Smooth pitchshifting, timestretching, slicing and much more.
loopcloud.jpg
loopcloud.jpg (59.42 KiB) Viewed 7853 times
https://www.loopcloud.com/cloud/
Kooshan

Post by Kooshan »

Thanks ! Will check it out ! Could you elaborate on the several options you mentioned in buzz?
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

Have you tried AudioBlock? It has pitch and time strectching, too.
thOke

Post by thOke »

Kooshan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:21 am ...Could you elaborate on the several options you mentioned in buzz?
I am mostly slicing loops with offset command in Matilde Tracker, but that's a little tedious.
Other machines you probably might try out:
slicer.jpg
slicer.jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 7837 times
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

This one is supposed to be good. There is a free, limited version.
https://hy-plugins.com/product/hy-slicerwin-mac/
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

I have tried it a lot of time but I dont recall if I used it in a song. Anyway, never had problems. Maybe it depends on version ?
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

As Thoke mentioned it's a little tedious but I recommend using Unwieldy tracker for slicing at least as an exercise to visualize what granular slicing (pitch / time shifting) is all about.

For instance if you don't know the bpm time of your loop but it's a standard 4 bar loop just use the offset percent column and use the format

etc

Putting a C-4 on every row so you're jumping from the beginning of the loop every time. Experiment with changing the tempo after doing this. When you start to get a lot of flam sounds (like cheap drill-n-bass) you can increase the resolution by adding the rows to every 16th note instead of every 8th note like I have shown above.

0C00
etc

In this way you can get a template down for a particular loop that you can then do all kinds of wacky stuff to by just moving the numbers around to slice and skip around the beat. Add pitch slides, volume slides, retriggers etc for all kinds of madness.

Another way to do essentially the same thing is to use the retrigger column along with the "on retrigger move offset" commands. The fist of these commands 0A will exactly the same thing as above but on every internal retrigger so doing

0A 8100

will skip by an offset of 100 every retrigger. Some math is involved in this but suffice it to say you have to have an even number of subticks for a 4/4 beat and retrigger by about half the max subticks (subtick column) to stretch the loop out to match your tempo.

You don't have to be a math nerd (I certainly am not), just experiment until it sounds right.
n3wjack

Post by n3wjack »

Fuzzpilz UnwieldyTracker is my go-to for chopping up breaks. Great for your typical jungle/drum'n'bass and breakcore Amen-slicing business.

In Unwieldy you can set your sample to stretch for X ticks, which means it'll always loop perfectly no matter what BPM your track has.
With the offset, you can jump to points in the sample, which makes it easy to chop as you like, without having to actually chop up the sample in a wav editor (which is so tedious).
It's not visual, but it's pretty handy once you figure out where the snares are in your loop. :)

In the screenshot the sample is an Amen, and the 5000 & 7000 are snare hits. ;)

n3wjack

Post by n3wjack »

synthphase wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:38 pm As Thoke mentioned it's a little tedious but I recommend using Unwieldy tracker for slicing at least as an exercise to visualize what granular slicing (pitch / time shifting) is all about.
I should read all replies before I answer right... :roll: :lol:
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

thOke wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:11 am There are several options to slice samples with buzz machines, but to "easily change tempo without messing everything up"
i really recommend the free loopcloud player vst. Smooth pitchshifting, timestretching, slicing and much more.
Unfortunately, Loopcloud pulled the free player shortly after you posted this (hmm, were they worried about Buzzers getting too strong...? :shock: :D ). Now you need to sign up for a free trial, and from sniffing around their site it seems the player might be crippled unless you have an active subscription...?
n3wjack wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:00 pm With the offset, you can jump to points in the sample, which makes it easy to chop as you like, without having to actually chop up the sample in a wav editor (which is so tedious).
Completely agree with that, haha.

For precision-slicing around silences, I highly recommend Session 2 WAV (page is in German but the important part is in English). Drag and drop the WAV, mess with the sliders until everything lines up (pretty quick process), then a couple clicks and everything's properly sliced and saved in an output directory.

For MPC-style "take long .WAV, slice into 16 equal-length bits", there's WavePad. Really slick, just load a .WAV and right-click it:
Image.

It's a tiny bit spammy (it pops up a WinRAR-style "nag screen" on launch, and the very first time you run the program it'll automatically open a store webpage in your browser when you exit, but it only ever does that once) but it's pretty dang good and imo worth the slight irritation.

Even though both of these are separate programs, I find them far less irritating than any VST equivalent I've encountered. The ones I've encountered don't even let you export the split .WAVs, instead having you play the splits within their own player. And the vast majority of them really, really look and feel like shit to use, just very unpleasant to work with and get around in.