Glad I was able to help. I'll be looking forward build 37. :dance:
polac

Re: Flickering drop-down menus in PVST & 64-bit VST2 plugins

Post by polac »

Coming this weekend. :)
rav

Post by rav »

oooh, sweet - that was really frustrating :)

Could you look also at support of midi sent by VST3 plugins, please? I think it is not working at all right now :(
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

IT WOORRRKKKSSSSSS. Thank you so much Polac - was only a little quirk in my workflow but now being quirk-free has definitely sped things up for me :) :dance:
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

Thanks, Polac!

It looks like pVST (no i) hasn't been updated, though, so VST effects still require the dreaded workaround - can confirm that VST instruments work fine though.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

That's odd. I just deleted my Buzz folder and did a clean install and then installed PVST build 37 there.

I still get the same flickering menus.

What am I missing?
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Are both instruments and effects still flickering for you? As River Cricket mentions above, it seems like the VST instrument side of things has been fixed (at least for JUCE built plugins) but not for VST effects.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

I just decided to compare an older build with the latest, so I picked build 34, and then tried DiscoDSP OB-XD 1.5 (VST2):

32-bit version doesn't flicker.
64-bit version flickers.

This happens with both PVST 34 and 37.
I cannot tell the difference between build 34 and 37 when it comes to this issue.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Joachip wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:49 pm and then tried DiscoDSP OB-XD 1.5 (VST2)
Wait ... you're right. I'd been using the TAL 64bit instruments as my testbed but just tried OBXD (Windows 64bit/vst2 build) and the preset menu doesn't appear at all/flickers super quickly so you barely see it. In this instance I know that it definitely uses JUCE as the framework (as a challenge I wanted to see if I could compile the VST from the github source)
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

mcbpete wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:48 am
Joachip wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:49 pm and then tried DiscoDSP OB-XD 1.5 (VST2)
Wait ... you're right. I'd been using the TAL 64bit instruments as my testbed but just tried OBXD (Windows 64bit/vst2 build) and the preset menu doesn't appear at all/flickers super quickly so you barely see it. In this instance I know that it definitely uses JUCE as the framework (as a challenge I wanted to see if I could compile the VST from the github source)
There's some issues on the new version which I went into here.

Short version is that now all the machines that used to require checking the "Prevent Focus Stealing" option now lose focus as soon as you click any GUI element, regardless of whether "Prevent Focus Stealing" is checked.

Dexed is another synth which uses JUCE that also loses focus - I uninstalled b37, so can't confirm if the popup menus work properly or not.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

I have never experienced the focus stealing problem, which I believe is a completely separate issue.

This thread is only about the flickering (visible on the video in the first post).
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

i have this flickering in many other win32 apps since the latest windows update, even in stuff like notepad's search dialog etc.. I think it's a windows issue.. something changed..
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

UNZ wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:01 pm i have this flickering in many other win32 apps since the latest windows update, even in stuff like notepad's search dialog etc.. I think it's a windows issue.. something changed..
I saw Herr's video and I've actually been noticing it in Chrome even without Buzz running. I'm still on Windows 7, so maybe this is actually a Chrome issue and not a WinTen bug?
nathansnider

Post by nathansnider »

River Cricket wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:02 am
UNZ wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:01 pm i have this flickering in many other win32 apps since the latest windows update, even in stuff like notepad's search dialog etc.. I think it's a windows issue.. something changed..
I saw Herr's video and I've actually been noticing it in Chrome even without Buzz running. I'm still on Windows 7, so maybe this is actually a Chrome issue and not a WinTen bug?
I'm also on Windows 7, and Chrome has been popping up to the top for me too lately. I think it just started doing this a few weeks ago.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

The pop into front focus stealing also happens with windows file explorer. It appears only when I am working in buzz with certain vst plugins. SO here it seems an interaction problem between VSTs and perhaps Win(10). Maybe graphic card driver ...
Joachip

Just to separate things...

Post by Joachip »

The focus stealing issue that we see in HerrFornit's videos is a general problem in Windows.
I've seen it in many situations, and I hate it too. But it's most likely not something Polac can fix.

This thread is specifically about the (different) problem when using drop-downs in a 64 bit JUCE based vst plugin in 32-bit Buzz.
polac

Post by polac »

Ok, i checked the latest OB-Xd version, the rightclick popup menu also does not show up here, is this one really JUCE powered? I tried here TAL plugins, here the popups show up properly(TAL Sampler for example). Also Cherryaudio plugins are flickering/not showing popups here.

Also "prevent focus stealing" should not be active for more complex synths, who require the focus for textediting/menus or similar. I really should add a hotkey for toggling that feature.

Edit: I found out that Cherryaudio is also using JUCE. Seems the problem still persists then. :roll:
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

polac wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:01 am Ok, i checked the latest OB-Xd version, the rightclick popup menu also does not show up here, is this one really JUCE powered?
Yep definitely JUCE powered - Juce project available here: https://github.com/reales/OB-Xd